Contribute
Register

Radeon Compatibility Guide - ATI/AMD Graphics Cards

I know this has been covered before, but was curious if anyone knew more.

Is there any known way to use an AMD Fiji (R9 Nano, Fury, Fury X) or Polaris GPU boot without an iGPU? I have an X99 build and thus no iGPU, and was curious if anyone knew a way for any of these cards to boot.

can't get my x99 build rx480 to boot either. tried native helper cards in slot 1 too, no boot

can't get my x99 build rx480 to boot either. tried native helper cards in slot 1 too, no boot

Yeah same issue -- it seems that you really need an iGPU to get this working. However, people have had success getting these cards working as eGPUs. I'm wondering if it would be possible to spoof these devices as eGPUs and have them function.

Yeah same issue -- it seems that you really need an iGPU to get this working. However, people have had success getting these cards working as eGPUs. I'm wondering if it would be possible to spoof these devices as eGPUs and have them function.
I tried for hours again. The only clue I have is that in graphics section of sierra's system report, it says the rx480 ( in pcie slot 2) is in a 1X slot. There is a hd5750 in slot 1 as a helper card ( x16). All I can figure is that my mb (asus x99 pro usb 3.1) changes the slots according to the CPU lanes. My cpu is a 6800k, which is 28 lanes. this should change the slot 2 to x8 and x8 would work, but for some reason it makes the 2nd pcie slot I can use 1X, which the manual says can be changed to 4X. This I read later. I don't think the rx480 is gonna work on 4X. I might give it a last try again. It's a 4 slot motherboard, so 1x16 slot and 3x4 slots for xfire, though there isn't enough room for double wide cards, so whats the point of making 4 xfire slots? Have to hope they make rx480 a native card in a future release

The rx480 will not work in slot 2. I had to use slots 1 and 3 for my two cards. It's isn't an 8x issue because it does work at 8x in slot 1 (slot 2 has a pci ssd). The extra 480 will work at 4x.

I tried for hours again. The only clue I have is that in graphics section of sierra's system report, it says the rx480 ( in pcie slot 2) is in a 1X slot. There is a hd5750 in slot 1 as a helper card ( x16). All I can figure is that my mb (asus x99 pro usb 3.1) changes the slots according to the CPU lanes. My cpu is a 6800k, which is 28 lanes. this should change the slot 2 to x8 and x8 would work, but for some reason it makes the 2nd pcie slot I can use 1X, which the manual says can be changed to 4X. This I read later. I don't think the rx480 is gonna work on 4X. I might give it a last try again. It's a 4 slot motherboard, so 1x16 slot and 3x4 slots for xfire, though there isn't enough room for double wide cards, so whats the point of making 4 xfire slots? Have to hope they make rx480 a native card in a future release

Quick easy question. I'm thinking about upgrading my GPU and I see a 390x is on sale. I run a x99 system so I have no IGPU. Will the 390x show graphics before the system boots, or just black screen until you are in Mac OS X, like some graphics cards I have read about. Thanks!

Good morning!
I am so happy as... I am close to make it done! :p I got the RX480 and it works, I guess..., via eGPU but I have to make it recognized. I am sharing several pictures, what I have to edit yet?
I don't have the file it speaks about...

IMG_0759.jpg

IMG_0769.jpg

IMG_0771.jpg

IMG_0776.jpg

IMG_0777.jpg

Cheers,

I believe AMD9500Controller was removed in 10.12.4 in favor of a new version that only supports the RX 460. You may want to try rolling back to 10.12.3, or finding AMD9500Controller from 10.12.3?

Back