Contribute
Register

Radeon Compatibility Guide - ATI/AMD Graphics Cards

@bugsyraz: Okay, I just booted Sierra and realized that AMD7000Controller contains three instances of the mentioned connectors data (for framebuffers IkuraS, KaniS and MaguroS). Clover seems to fail in this situation, I guess it only patches the first one or doesn't apply any patches at all, so I suggest to do it manually. I just did it with my R9 280 and it seems to work.

You could do it like that:
  1. Go to /System/Library/Extensions/AMD7000Controller.kext/Contents/MacOS/
  2. Create a backup of AMD7000Controller in the same folder (authenticate), drag the original one to your desktop and open it in a hex editor
  3. Search for original MaguroS data from post #866.
  4. Replace all occurrences (should be three) with patched data from post #866.
  5. Save file, copy it back to /System/Library/Extensions/AMD7000Controller.kext/Contents/MacOS/ (authenticate)
  6. Run sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/AMD7000Controller.kext/
  7. Run sudo chmod -R 755 System/Library/Extensions/AMD7000Controller.kext/
  8. Run sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions
  9. Reboot!
Clover data:
  • Inject/Ati = True
  • FBName = MaguroS
  • VideoPorts = 6
  • No kext patch stuff, as we've just done this on the file system

Good luck! :)

Note: The patch needs some additional improvement by fixing the connector definitions (DVI/HDMI) and reordering the connectors, as the current setup creates two dummy connectors. Shouldn't be a problem though, on my system it's working perfectly fine like that (sadly don't have a 5K for testing here...).

Thanks!

I did that and I'm only getting the other two monitors working when starting up. It's seeing the 5K monitor as it sees it without the patch. (file uploaded) Hot plugging doesn't work. If I pull the power out and put it back, it doesn't sense anything. Something's probably wrong with hotplugging as well.

I am able to get 5K if I disconnect all of the monitors, plug in the 5k one on the bottom card first then plug one (or two) of the HD monitors on the top one. Neither of those HD monitors work. Only the 5K.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-01-22 at 14.34.53.png
    Screen Shot 2017-01-22 at 14.34.53.png
    4.4 KB · Views: 165
Strange. Are you 100% sure you've pasted in the correct data? And that you did it for all occurrences?

Yes, I have replaced all 3 occurrences. I have restarted and now i got 5K and one monitor working, although the 5K display is still seen as having two panels.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-01-22 at 14.57.21.png
    Screen Shot 2017-01-22 at 14.57.21.png
    174 KB · Views: 191
Does the 5K work with full resolution like that? Or do you get two individual pictures?

Yes, I'm getting full 5K. The small display over there is somehow part of the 5K monitor but it's not showing up anywhere.

Last edited:
Okay. Doesn't sound too bad to me. Can you verify that all ports are working correctly when attaching just one display at a time?

Ports are working as follows :

Note - Upper card is the main one (getting boot screen), lower card is secondary. They're both connected through crossfire.

I'm connecting one HD monitor to one minidisplay port.

Upper card - left/right minidisplay port - not working

Lower card - left minidisplay port - working but getting apparently two displays (pic attached). ; right minidisplay port - working but same story

Upper card - DVI - not working

Lower card - DVI - working (but it still sees the other monitor as connected even though it's not)

Upper card - HDMI - working

Lower card - HDMI - working

It seems like the initial duplicate "ghost" display is still there when I plug other monitors in.

On the other hand,

I only get 5K when connected both minidisplay ports to the lower card.

A second monitor works when I connect it on DVI on the lower card as well.

When 5K is working, DVI on upper card doesn't work, nor minidisplay ports. HDMI on upper card works (i connected a projector and it works BUT it sees the display as the "ghost" display from before (Dell U2312HM) )

Switched that projector to the lower card HDMI and it works as well - it recognises the projector properly (with proper naming, although the "ghost" display is still there).

And by the way - now I'm keeping the monitors connected to just one card with the Hamachi framebuffer. The 5k monitor is connected to one minidisplay port to display 4k and is seen in the system profiler as a TV. Is this normal?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-01-22 at 17.14.19.png
    Screen Shot 2017-01-22 at 17.14.19.png
    87 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
Has anyone tried the XFX RX 460 4GB Slim? I know that XFX isn't a recommended brand but I do like the fact that it is a single slot card. I believe it also gets power from the slot so no extra power pin.

Rumors say that new iMacs will use Polaris 10 and 11 cards.
Now the question is: will we have the same pre OS black screen after the official support for Polaris?

Rumors say that new iMacs will use Polaris 10 and 11 cards.
Now the question is: will we have the same pre OS black screen after the official support for Polaris?
Ye most likely going from their past history.
E.g. Their version of the ATI 57xx card from their MacPro has non of the known issues but if you put the same card in a hackintosh, you will have the known issues.
Remember, their video implementation uses their own version of EFI and not VBIOS (which is only there for bootcamp/Windows).

Back