Contribute
Register

Radeon Compatibility Guide - ATI/AMD Graphics Cards

Well, I did it and I don't get 5K and the other two monitors don't work either.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-01-20 at 20.32.32.png
    Screen Shot 2017-01-20 at 20.32.32.png
    268.1 KB · Views: 244
  • Screen Shot 2017-01-20 at 20.32.24.png
    Screen Shot 2017-01-20 at 20.32.24.png
    343.2 KB · Views: 270
Strange. Did you verify the original data is present in AMD7000Controller?
I tried looking for a string in hex editor (i opened the kext in there) but honestly i didn't know what I was doing. It appeared like it found the first string in there. I'll try the Hamachi framebuffer instead of MaguroS.

Yeah, Hamachi has problems too. Maybe I'm doing something wrong in clover.

I'm also having a weird problem with playback in Premiere Pro. Whenever I start it with one monitor connected to one GPU and the other two connected to the second GPU, it crashes or I just don't get any picture on playback. If I use the OpenCL renderer it shows no picture. If I use Metal, it shows some scrambled colors.

The problem is solved if I start Premiere with the monitors connected to a single GPU.

Right now I'm not using the connector patch and I'm on the Radeon Framebuffer. Could it be a framebuffer problem?

Last edited:
Thanks for the valuable information, I was planing to switch to AMD GPU. I notice Nvidia GPU are more stable in the version 10.12.2 using GTX 980. so far happy with the performance. only one thing to mention regarding FCPX 3D text dosen't render trying to find alternative.

@bugsyraz: Which kind of problems do you have with Hamachi? It should be a perfect match for your GPU.

And to be sure I got everything right: The only way to get 5K was using unpatched MaguroS with DVI display plugged in (but not working), right?

I meant I was having problems with Hamachi using the connectors patch.

Yes, that is right. I can only get 5K using unpatched MaguroS and a DVI display plugged in (not working). I'll attach a picture of the displays in system preferences (when 5K is working). If I plug in additional displays, they don't work.

Is the fact that I have two 280x's making everything worse? I'm ultimately willing to connect two minidisplay ports to one card (for 5K) and the other two to the other one (for two other monitors). This problem with Premiere crashing when i have any monitor connected to another card puzzles me. I hope it's solvable.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-01-22 at 03.49.33.png
    Screen Shot 2017-01-22 at 03.49.33.png
    36.6 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:
@bugsyraz: Okay, I just booted Sierra and realized that AMD7000Controller contains three instances of the mentioned connectors data (for framebuffers IkuraS, KaniS and MaguroS). Clover seems to fail in this situation, I guess it only patches the first one or doesn't apply any patches at all, so I suggest to do it manually. I just did it with my R9 280 and it seems to work.

You could do it like that:
  1. Go to /System/Library/Extensions/AMD7000Controller.kext/Contents/MacOS/
  2. Create a backup of AMD7000Controller in the same folder (authenticate), drag the original one to your desktop and open it in a hex editor
  3. Search for original MaguroS data from post #866.
  4. Replace all occurrences (should be three) with patched data from post #866.
  5. Save file, copy it back to /System/Library/Extensions/AMD7000Controller.kext/Contents/MacOS/ (authenticate)
  6. Run sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/AMD7000Controller.kext/
  7. Run sudo chmod -R 755 System/Library/Extensions/AMD7000Controller.kext/
  8. Run sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions
  9. Reboot!
Clover data:
  • Inject/Ati = True
  • FBName = MaguroS
  • VideoPorts = 6
  • No kext patch stuff, as we've just done this on the file system

Good luck! :)

Note: The patch needs some additional improvement by fixing the connector definitions (DVI/HDMI) and reordering the connectors, as the current setup creates two dummy connectors. Shouldn't be a problem though, on my system it's working perfectly fine like that (sadly don't have a 5K for testing here...).

Back