Contribute
Register

Radeon Compatibility Guide - ATI/AMD Graphics Cards

Is there any fix for R9 390X freezes issue ?
According to the console, it's Windowserver related

For anyone not familiar with this issue, random freeze occur on El Capitan (10.11.5) mouse is still moving but can't click anything, sound still works after the freeze

Capture d’écran 2016-05-21 à 15.53.37 1.png

Last edited:

For anyone not familiar with this issue, random freeze occur on El Capitan (10.11.5) mouse is still moving but can't click anything, sound still works after the freeze

View attachment 196391

Granted I have an R9 290 (still Hawaii), but I have no freezing at all. Once I got it running (single monitor) well, it's been totally smooth in 10.11.4, and now since I updated to 10.11.5 as well. That's in GPU intensive tasks as well, from games to FCPX to Lightroom (GPU accelerated Develop module).

Having the same issues here as well. MSI R9 390X Gaming 8GB. I think it has to do with a GPU reset more than a windowserver crash (which is caused by the GPU reset).

If I unplug the DP cable then plug it back in the mouse is frozen as well. It's really annoying to say the least.

I still have my old R9 280X but the VRAM is failing on it and I don't want to have 2 GPU's in my system at once sucking up all my power (or changing them out every time I want to boot into Windows or OS X).

GPU Reset log is attached.

EDIT: Also on 10.11.5.

Attachments

• Kernel_2016-05-24-022549_desktop-osx-jd.gpuRestart.txt
    512.3 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
looks like a copy and paste of my logs, I'll attach mine also if anyone wants to have a look.
I'll try first 10.11.6 beta but I doubt it will change anything

Edit: 10.11.6 seems to run better, not a freeze in 15 hours. But let's not jump to conclusions I'll test for a few more days
Capture d’écran 2016-05-25 à 13.30.32.pngCapture d’écran 2016-05-25 à 17.08.08.png

Attachments

• Kernel_2016-05-22-171710.txt
    513.3 KB · Views: 136
  • Kernel_2016-05-23-163622.txt
    512.3 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
10.11.6 seems to run better, not a freeze in 15 hours. But let's not jump to conclusions I'll test for a few more days

Awesome, was thinking about just getting a GTX 960 for OS X usage and a dedicated PhysX card for Windows but If you chime back with good news then screw it, I'll stick to what I got.

EDIT: I'll update to the 10.11.6 beta on my MacBook Pro and compare the AMD8000Controller.kext to 10.11.5's version to see if anything's changed.
---
All AMD kext's seem to have been updated to 1.42.13 (from 1.42.11)... Gonna throw this on my hack and see how it fares.

Last edited:
Yep good news for me already, I've been on this beta 24+ hours and not a single freeze so far.
Some dev at Apple read our complains and went like "let me fix that for these guys real quick" :lol: Well, props to this dev!

Last edited:
Yep good news for me already, I've been on this beta 24+ hours and not a single freeze so far.
Some dev at Apple read our complains and went like "let me fix that for these guys real quick" :lol: Well, props to this dev!

Well bad news for me. Froze within 15 seconds after loading up a Logic Pro project. Seems to not have been resolved.

Well bad news for me. Froze within 15 seconds after loading up a Logic Pro project. Seems to not have been resolved.
Are logs still the same ? Unfortunately I do not have Logic Pro to try this, but so far I did some Photoshop/Lightroom editing, web surfing, along with some benchmarking. Maybe I was lucky...

Are logs still the same ? Unfortunately I do not have Logic Pro to try this, but so far I did some Photoshop/Lightroom editing, web surfing, along with some benchmarking. Maybe I was lucky...

I didn't check but I would assume so. Same symptoms as well.

I didn't check but I would assume so. Same symptoms as well.
I'm really trying to make it freeze, I don't why It's still happening to you
Capture d’écran 2016-05-26 à 14.24.20.png
What output are you using ? I'm using DVI (the one next to HDMI) @1080p I haven't tested other output

EDIT : I managed to make it crash using Apple Maps 3D feature, log shows Maps caused gnu driver to restart which what window server used to cause.

Attachments

• Kernel_2016-05-26-143706_iMac-de-Alwin.gpuRestart.txt
    512.3 KB · Views: 122
  • Kernel_2016-05-26-143816_iMac-de-Alwin.gpuRestart.txt
    512.3 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Back