HD 4600
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
The problem is that only the GDDR3 version of the GT730 was supported natively. The GDDR5 version needed the NVidia web-drivers
I was under that impression too but while helping a different user he posted this :

Motherboard
Huawei Matebook D
CPU
i5-8250U
Graphics
UHD 620
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi there.

The problem is that only the GDDR3 version of the GT730 was supported natively. The GDDR5 version needed the NVidia web-drivers BUT unfortunately these only support up to High Sierra and nothing newer. So yes, for Mojave, Catalina and Big Sur, if you do get graphics output it will be without acceleration, unfortunately.
Hi, thanks for your reply.

So if I get a GT730 2GB DDR3 version then I will get some for oh hardware acceleration?
Thanks.

UtterDisbelief

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390M Gaming - Clover 5102
CPU
i5-9600K
Graphics
RX 570 1920x1080
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. eMac
  2. iBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I was under that impression too but while helping a different user he posted this :

Okay. Interesting. They say there is always an exception to the rule ... o_O

I have only personally tested a Gigabyte pair of GT730's. It was a few years ago now. The details are all recorded in my build history here for posterity, and in the next build here.

Back then, I was young and innocent and don't think I fully understood what was happening. With hindsight and the passing of years, I do now and it confirms what we believe. :D

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 I AORUS PRO WIFI
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Has anyone noticed that "Heaven" and "Valley" Unigine benchmarks when run under Big Sur are slightly lower (and somewhat jumpy when panned) than under Catalina? (Run on system at left, anyway)

Motherboard
ASUS WS X299 SAGE/10G
CPU
i9-9980XE
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Has anyone noticed that "Heaven" and "Valley" Unigine benchmarks when run under Big Sur are slightly lower (and somewhat jumpy when panned) than under Catalina? (Run on system at left, anyway)

They are going to be useless soon because they still use OpenGL.

Try using GeekBench 5+ with Metal

Gigamaxx

Motherboard
GIGABYTE X470 Arous Gaming 7 WiFi
CPU
Ryzen R9 3900X
Graphics
RX 480
Mac
  1. iMac
Yes, they are getting outdated. Their latest release doesn’t support Macs.
They are DX11 and DX12 apps which Apple is moving away from.

Motherboard
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
They are going to be useless soon because they still use OpenGL. Try using GeekBench 5+ with Metal
Thing is, Heaven and Valley are not just benchmarks, although they are usually used just for that. Those "worlds" can be explored if "walking" and "free" modes are chosen. MacOS High Sierra works fine on them with no weirdnesses.

Yes, they are getting outdated. Their latest release doesn’t support Macs. They are DX11 and DX12 apps which Apple is moving away from.
It seems that Apple has little problem "helping" to outdate things. nVidia graphics drivers, 32-bit apps, OpenGL, etc. I find that I do not really like Big Sur as well as Catalina, which I do not like as well as Mojave, which I do not like as well as High Sierra. In fact I'm thinking about downgrading my computer at left to High Sierra, which would then "match" my "Mini-ITX 1" and "Mini-ITX 3" computers below. (I'm pretty much obsolete, so maybe my MacOS should be, too.)

Motherboard
ASUS WS X299 SAGE/10G
CPU
i9-9980XE
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Thing is, Heaven and Valley are not just benchmarks, although they are usually used just for that. Those "worlds" can be explored if "walking" and "free" modes are chosen. MacOS High Sierra works fine on them with no weirdnesses.

It seems that Apple has little problem "helping" to outdate things. nVidia graphics drivers, 32-bit apps, OpenGL, etc. I find that I do not really like Big Sur as well as Catalina, which I do not like as well as Mojave, which I do not like as well as High Sierra. In fact I'm thinking about downgrading my computer at left to High Sierra, which would then "match" my "Mini-ITX 1" and "Mini-ITX 3" computers below. (I'm pretty much obsolete, so maybe my MacOS should be, too.)

I know, but it is an OpenGL test that is used to test cross platform performance, ie between Windows and macOS.

Now that OpenGL is deprecated, most likely it will be gone after Big Sur and Metal will be required 100% or it just won't work.

So the only other "Benchmark" type of tool we have that is cross platform is Geekbench. At least you can compare numbers between macOS and Windows.

Motherboard
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Thank you, izo1, I do understand. It's not the loss of a cross-platform benchmark that bothers me, it's the (gradual) loss of good virtual "worlds" for the Mac. Another case is (because of the loss of 32-bit apps) the loss of Myst IV, Myst V, and Uru video games. To play those on a Mac OS now, one has to stay on, or revert to, High Sierra, unless Cyan updates them to 64-bit (which they did for Myst, Riven, and Myst III).

Motherboard
ASUS WS X299 SAGE/10G
CPU
i9-9980XE
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Thank you, izo1, I do understand. It's not the loss of a cross-platform benchmark that bothers me, it's the (gradual) loss of good virtual "worlds" for the Mac. Another case is (because of the loss of 32-bit apps) the loss of Myst IV, Myst V, and Uru video games. To play those on a Mac OS now, one has to stay on, or revert to, High Sierra, unless Cyan updates them to 64-bit (which they did for Myst, Riven, and Myst III).

Apple has been chipping away at 32bit apps for a while now, back in Sierra we already saw them starting to move gradually to Metal and so on. Apple historically did support open standards such as OpenGL/OpenCL, but they gradually got rid of it because iOS is so popular with Metal.

I think Metal is very good and Vulkan can easily be translated, so not all hope is lost here.

If you really really need old macOS software, it's best to just stick with an older version of macOS...but the world is moving towards Metal and it's actually a good thing, this will force iOS developers to support Macs and vice versa of modern games.

Will it be AAA titles in the Mac gaming store? Probably not. Is it better than nothing? Sure.

Stay positive, I think the future is brighter than we think. We are losing the "openness" with Macs due to ARM chips, but I think we're gaining some other things down the line too.