Contribute
Register

Radeon Compatibility Guide - ATI/AMD Graphics Cards

OK, got that, thanks. I erased a USB drive and put each of the downloaded EFI folders in its EFI partition (one at a time, of course). The USB drive did not show up in Clover for either EFI folder, so I could not attempt booting from it. I suspect this was because there was no bootable Mac OS on the root level of the flash drive. My Mojave USB flash drive from Unibeast can be booted when on the problem computer, and in fact I can do a normal "replace the Mac OS" procedure. Unfortunately I still get no video out of the RX 580 or the Intel motherboard.

Were you suggesting I install your uploaded EFI folders on my Unibeast drive? Pretty sure that would work, but I have the same EFI folder on that drive as yours, except for the Inject kexts "Detect" instead of "Yes."

When I had this problem in the past (last year) I was forced to physically remove the graphics card in order to get the IGFX option to work and give a video signal to my monitor. I think I'm going to have to do that again.

OK, got that, thanks. I erased a USB drive and put each of the downloaded EFI folders in its EFI partition (one at a time, of course). The USB drive did not show up in Clover for either EFI folder, so I could not attempt booting from it. I suspect this was because there was no bootable Mac OS on the root level of the flash drive. My Mojave USB flash drive from Unibeast can be booted when on the problem computer, and in fact I can do a normal "replace the Mac OS" procedure. Unfortunately I still get no video out of the RX 580 or the Intel motherboard.

Were you suggesting I install your uploaded EFI folders on my Unibeast drive? Pretty sure that would work, but I have the same EFI folder on that drive as yours, except for the Inject kexts "Detect" instead of "Yes."

When I had this problem in the past (last year) I was forced to physically remove the graphics card in order to get the IGFX option to work and give a video signal to my monitor. I think I'm going to have to do that again.

Try initializing the USB flash drive as HFS+/GUID.
Make sure to put the EFI folder(s) on the EFI partition of the USB flash drive.
When you reboot, spam the F12 key and select the USB flash drive.

Whatever is on the main partition or root directory doesn't matter.

From my experiences, setting Inject Kexts to detected still makes kexts in CLOVER/Kexts/Other/ work. I have nothing unsigned in Library/Extensions now.

Since Yes is now recommended I have changed it to Yes and also enabled SIP again.

Last edited:
Try initializing the USB flash drive as HFS+/GUID.
Make sure to put the EFI folder(s) on the EFI partition of the USB flash drive.
When you reboot, spam the F12 key and select the USB flash drive.

All S.O.P. as stated above. Booting from the USB drive with your uploads gets me to Clover (with about 8 "internal drives" showing) but selecting my main SSD although it does "boot" still gives a black screen. My own EFI does the same thing.

From my experiences, setting Inject Kexts to detected still makes kexts in CLOVER/Kexts/Other/ work.

Same for me. Not the main subject here; my problem is a black screen which has yet to be cured.

I think I need to be able to "see" the contents of my SSD's EFI folder and also my /Library/Extensions folder, but I cannot as long as the screen is black after booting. The "Options" category in Clover does not include anything in either the Graphics area or any other area that allows me to temporarily enable the RX 580 display. If it is a frame buffer issue I don't know how to attack that. If Pike R. Alpha's "Black Screen Patch" needs to be in the Kernel/Kext Patches area of the config.plist (it isn't there now but was never needed before), I have no way of putting it in there until I can see the EFI folder.

Last edited:
All S.O.P. as stated above. Booting from the USB drive with your uploads gets me to Clover (with about 8 "internal drives showing") but selecting my main SSD although it does "boot" still gives a black screen. My own EFI does the same thing.

Are you still getting the purple lines?

Can you try with RadeonDeInit enabled in config.plist?

... The "Options" category in Clover does not include anything in either the Graphics area or any other area that allows me to temporarily enable the RX 580 display.

There are two areas in the Clover boot menu where these settings are available. There isn't a specific setting to "enable the RX 580 display" but there are others to set GPU initialisation and to temporarily disable any kexts you think may be causing problems (you said you suspected Lilu/Whatevergfreen caused your problem when they were updated). However it only works for kexts in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other. Kexts duplicated in L/E are beyond the ken of Clover. This is one good reason why you should do as @pastrychef and @Bustycat suggest and only keep Hackintosh kexts in EFI.

1)

Press SpaceBar at Clover drive icon:

Options for Boot macOS from Macintosh HD (or similar):

Block Injected Kexts / Other / Select your kexts to disable / Return-Return-Return.

2)

Options Menu: (3rd icon)

Graphic Injector:
☐ DeInit

Kexts duplicated in L/E are beyond the ken of Clover.

Not sure what that means. But I will try blocking the Lilu and WhateverGreen and will try "Deinit" option as well. Thanks for the input!

Nope. Tried blocking Lilu and WhateverGreen simultaneously (separated by a space, and later by a comma). No change. Tried Radeon De-init, no change. Tried both, no change. Tried blocking only Lilu, then only WhateverGreen, no change. Tried editing "FB" ("Baladi" frame buffer) to a blank and changing ports from "06" (wrong) to "05" (correct). No change.

Purple lines are still there, and aurally everything is the same as it was when the card worked. Restart or power on takes a while, then purple lines come on, graphics card fan jumps speed then goes quiet. Except for purple lines now being present, it's just as though everything is normal. Except for the black screen.

Nope. Tried blocking Lilu and WhateverGreen simultaneously (separated by a space, and later by a comma). No change. Tried Radeon De-init, no change. Tried both, no change. Tried blocking only Lilu, then only WhateverGreen, no change. Tried editing "FB" ("Baladi" frame buffer) to a blank and changing ports from "06" (wrong) to "05" (correct). No change.

Purple lines are still there, and aurally everything is the same as it was when the card worked. Restart or power on takes a while, then purple lines come on, graphics card fan jumps speed then goes quiet. Except for purple lines now being present, it's just as though everything is normal. Except for the black screen.

Are you using DisplayPort or HDMI? 4K?

Have you tried connecting your computer to a TV to see if it produces a picture?

Are you using DisplayPort or HDMI? 4K?

DisplayPort. 1920 x 1080. Going to try a boot argument called "agdpmod=pikera" in Clover Options... it's not in my config.plist. But I never needed it before...

[Edit, well agdpmod=pikera in the boot args area of Clover didn't work either, by itself or with other changes.]

Last edited:
Back