Contribute
Register

Radeon Compatibility Guide - ATI/AMD Graphics Cards

AMD Radeon HD 7850 2 GB (MSI R7850 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC) works well that I could upgrade my office build (GA-H61M-S2PV | i5-2500K) from High Sierra to Catalina smoothly. Only Lilu and WhateverGreen are needed without any specified change to config.plist. The display is connected via HDMI directly.
截圖 2020-02-25 18.38.11.png

macOS recognises it as ‘AMD Radeon R9 270 2 GB’.
截圖 2020-02-25 18.38.18.png

Metal is supported.

Last edited:
My setup at left has been working perfectly since upgrading to Mojave 10.14.6 about a year ago. BUT, I just updated Lilu and WhateverGreen to the latest versions and guess WHAT? Black screen on boot, after working for several restarts with these new kexts in both /Library/Extensions and EFI/CLOVER/kexts/other. I would like to try reinstalling the previous versions of Lilu and WhateverGreen, but... how do I get onto the Mac OS now? IGFX maybe? Or can someone confirm that their RX 580 works with the latest Lilu and WhateverGreen kexts, so that I can chase other rabbits? Thanks for reading!

My setup at left has been working perfectly since upgrading to Mojave 10.14.6 about a year ago. BUT, I just updated Lilu and WhateverGreen to the latest versions and guess WHAT? Black screen on boot, after working for several restarts with these new kexts in both /Library/Extensions and EFI/CLOVER/kexts/other. I would like to try reinstalling the previous versions of Lilu and WhateverGreen, but... how do I get onto the Mac OS now? IGFX maybe? Or can someone confirm that their RX 580 works with the latest Lilu and WhateverGreen kexts, so that I can chase other rabbits? Thanks for reading!
They should not be duplicated and the most important feature of WhateverGreen is actually addressing a black screen. You may need to check if something in your Clover conflicts with them.

They should not be duplicated and the most important feature of WhateverGreen is actually addressing a black screen. You may need to check if something in your Clover conflicts with them.
Do you mean that Lilu and WhateverGreen should not be in both the EFI partition and also in /Library/Extensions? And what could be a conflict with Clover, if Clover was not changed, except for the update of both of those kexts?

Hi there,

"The way in..."

Two ways depending on how far you are getting before blackout:

1) You can boot into your main Clover menu and then scroll to the Options menu and disable the offending kexts. Use the DeInit boot flag instead.

2) Use your UniBeast installer to boot into the installation menu, but don't go any further, use the Tools menu and Terminal to delete, rebuild, replace any kexts you want rid of.

:)

1) You can boot into your main Clover menu and then scroll to the Options menu and disable the offending kexts. Use the DeInit boot flag instead.

I have been in the Clover menu's Options, but I have no idea what the "offending kexts" are, unless the latest Lilu and WhateverGreen versions are the problem. If I use the "Deinit" boot flag (don't know the symbol for that) I would be "de-initting" the very kexts that make the RX 580 work! I would need to replace them with the previous versions, but how do I do that?

2) Use your UniBeast installer to boot into the installation menu, but don't go any further, use the Tools menu and Terminal to delete, rebuild, replace any kexts you want rid of.

Actually I have re-installed (on one of my two SSDs) Mojave 10.14.6 using my tonymac Unibeast-created USB flash drive; no effect. I have also used Terminal to try and rebuild the kextcache, but apparently I don't understand the Terminal syntax... all i get are rejections from Terminal. I read that the right thing is "sudo kextcache -i /" but Terminal says "no such command."

All I get on the RX 580 is the purple lines (which used to be gone) followed by my monitor reporting "no signal."
I have also tried changing from PCIe to IGFX in BIOS, but the motherboard video output is just as dead as the RX 580. And everything worked fine until installing the latest versions of Lilu and WhateverGreen. And they worked for a day!

When looking at Clover Options, the "FB" (framebuffer?) says "Baladi" and number of ports is "06." Port count is wrong, so I tried changing it to the correct "05." No help. So I tried changing "FB" to "Orinoco" and port count to "05" but no effect there either. I don't know what "FB" used to say with the previous Lilu/WhateverGreen version. What should it be?

I have been in the Clover menu's Options, but I have no idea what the "offending kexts" are, unless the latest Lilu and WhateverGreen versions are the problem. If I use the "Deinit" boot flag (don't know the symbol for that) I would be "de-initting" the very kexts that make the RX 580 work! I would need to replace them with the previous versions, but how do I do that?

Actually I have re-installed (on one of my two SSDs) Mojave 10.14.6 using my tonymac Unibeast-created USB flash drive; no effect. I have also used Terminal to try and rebuild the kextcache, but apparently I don't understand the Terminal syntax... all i get are rejections from Terminal. I read that the right thing is "sudo kextcache -i /" but Terminal says "no such command."

All I get on the RX 580 is the purple lines (which used to be gone) followed by my monitor reporting "no signal."
I have also tried changing from PCIe to IGFX in BIOS, but the motherboard video output is just as dead as the RX 580. And everything worked fine until installing the latest versions of Lilu and WhateverGreen. And they worked for a day!

When looking at Clover Options, the "FB" (framebuffer?) says "Baladi" and number of ports is "06." Port count is wrong, so I tried changing it to the correct "05." No help. So I tried changing "FB" to "Orinoco" and port count to "05" but no effect there either. I don't know what "FB" used to say with the previous Lilu/WhateverGreen version. What should it be?

I remember using the Sapphire RX580 Pulse without the need for WEG or Lilu, just had to find a port that worked. Which is why I specifically bought that card. I suspect something else went wrong and it's not actually WEG and Lilu but I don't know what it would be. Typically you get something wrong it simply won't finish booting. It's also odd that it worked fora day and then died, if those files were the problem you would know immediately the reboot after updating them.

Not sure where you put the files, since you are referencing the kext cache I can assume in 'L/S/E'? You can try booting using '-s' for single user mode, it's in the Clover boot menu and accessed by pressing space bar. That should get in to your OS in text mode where you have all of your commands to delete the kexts and rebuild the kext cache. I would expect the GPU should work then if those are the problem, you just won't have all 4 outputs working. If you get the persmission error then you need to boot the installer and disable SIP using a terminal command you can quickly google.

I like to test my changes on a USB stick, copy the entire EFI over then make my changes on the USB stick. Boot uisng F12 and validate. I also put all of the needed kexts in /EFI/Clover/kexts/Other, I know it's not 'official' but it has worked well for me.

You have my sympathies, been there many times. For some reason I love to update and I should remember that if it is not broken then don't touch it. Funny thing, it is always amazing how just one little thing can make a hackintosh go from nothing to perfect with a single boot flag, kext, or patch.

Thank you Shiitake, I will try single-user mode and see what I can do.
[Edit: Nope, "-s" in Options results in not even getting to the purple lines, and same for using spacebar in Clover. I am suspecting that maybe WhateverGreen's newest version is doing to its frame-buffer selection(s) is somehow changing my "FB" from whatever it was previously to this "Baladi" and showing "06" ports, which is wrong. My RX 580 Nitro+ has 5 ports, and I remember having to make sure it showed that back when I installed it originally in 2019. But every restart now shows the wrong number of ports and (maybe) the wrong framebuffer. Thing is I don't know what the "FB" should be... tried Orinoco in Options, but no change. How do I "de-init" a kext in Clover?]

Last edited:
Thank you Shiitake, I will try single-user mode and see what I can do.
[Edit: Nope, "-s" in Options results in not even getting to the purple lines, and same for using spacebar in Clover. I am suspecting that maybe WhateverGreen's newest version is doing to its frame-buffer selection(s) is somehow changing my "FB" from whatever it was previously to this "Baladi" and showing "06" ports, which is wrong. My RX 580 Nitro+ has 5 ports, and I remember having to make sure it showed that back when I installed it originally in 2019. But every restart now shows the wrong number of ports and (maybe) the wrong framebuffer. Thing is I don't know what the "FB" should be... tried Orinoco in Options, but no change. How do I "de-init" a kext in Clover?]

when using WEG it is advised not to set a framebuffer as it uses the default AMD framebuffer and assigns through WEG. So if you have clover settings for a framebuffer like Orinoco or Baladi you should disable them or not use WEG. Rad deinit is in the clover options graphics settings at boot. You can use space bar and select boot without injected Kexts and select WEG to disable it.

Sorry, I don't understand. You told us the black-screen occurred because you had updated the Lilu and Whatevergreen kexts. I was explaining how to temporarily disable them.

If you don't wish to, or believe I'm wrong, that's fine. Nothing is compulsory. :thumbup:

I read that the right thing is "sudo kextcache -i /" but Terminal says "no such command."

Yes, that command is valid.

Whatevergreen is "intelligent" enough to patch what is needed. The RX580 is a known native card, but black-screen is common for most RX AMD series and needs help - Whatevergreen provides it. The Radeon DeInit Clover toggle is an older way to bypass the black-screen problems. These days people use Whatevergreen, but it is an alternative and works.

I don't see the brand of RX580 you are using, listed. Maybe it has an unusual VBIOS.

@Bustycat is correct. You should not duplicate kexts in two areas.

Back