Contribute
Register

Radeon Compatibility Guide - ATI/AMD Graphics Cards

I never had to do anything other than swap out my Vega 56 and plug in the Radeon VII. No changes to config.plist, kexts, or anything. It just worked.

I'm gonna spend the weekend messing with certain BIOS settings to see if it can be fixed...hope I can figure it out so it helps others too.

I don't think Apple is ever going to "fix" this issue, it's probably just X299 related.

I'm gonna spend the weekend messing with certain BIOS settings to see if it can be fixed...hope I can figure it out so it helps others too.

I don't think Apple is ever going to "fix" this issue, it's probably just X299 related.

I should note that the time my Radeon VII was in my Z370 was relatively short. But I did not experience the scratchy audio with the dropouts that continue in the X299 system despite system upgrades (in both 10.14.6 and Catalina).

So, the fact that the Radeon VII worked in my Z370 but not in the X299 Prime Deluxe I suggests that there is an incompatability between the X299 Prime Deluxe I and II and the Radeon VII. It appears also that X299 Sage owners also do not experience this issue. I do note that other Z370 and Z390 owners have reported issues, but not the same as X299 owners have. So, something about those motherboards, in the way their design is implemented, triggers this problem in a way that the Vegas didn't.

I have no idea what causes it. I do know that in my system, in addition to the crackling, I also experience momentary dropouts when I play audio which makes me think the issue is partly an interrupt problem. But, how to fix? I just don't know.

Last edited:
So, the fact that the Radeon VII worked in my Z370 but not in the X299 Prime Deluxe I suggests that there is an incompatability between the X299 Prime Deluxe I and II and the Radeon VII. I do note that other Z370 and Z390 owners have reported issues, but Asus X299 Sage owners have not. So, something about those motherboards, in the way their design is implemented, triggers this problem in a way that the Vegas didn't.

I have no idea what causes it. I do know that in my system, in addition to the crackling, I also experience momentary dropouts when I play audio which makes me think the issue is partly an interrupt problem. But, how to fix? I just don't know.

I have exact same issue, for example the scratchy audio when it happens (usually 95% of the time) it delays and stutters YouTube video in Chrome. When it does work sometimes, everything is perfect.

I'm wondering how we can report this to ASUS to update their BIOS for the Prime Deluxe boards, but I don't know where to start and Hackintoshes are unsupported...so don't know how to approach it.

I just spent many hours trying many different BIOS settings to see if this possible to fix, but it's not.

If ASUS X299 Sage indeed has no issues with this, I may have to just do a board swap. Do you recommend it?

@mm2margaret is your monitor seen as "Television" like mine?

LG 38UC99

I think it may be related to that.

Screen Shot 2019-07-13 at 6.29.28 AM.png

I have exact same issue, for example the scratchy audio when it happens (usually 95% of the time) it delays and stutters YouTube video in Chrome. When it does work sometimes, everything is perfect.

I'm wondering how we can report this to ASUS to update their BIOS for the Prime Deluxe boards, but I don't know where to start and Hackintoshes are unsupported...so don't know how to approach it.

I just spent many hours trying many different BIOS settings to see if this possible to fix, but it's not.

If ASUS X299 Sage indeed has no issues with this, I may have to just do a board swap. Do you recommend it?

I would not recommend it until you can absolutely (or nearly absolutely) verify that this issue does not occur with it. I only know of one or two owners of the Sage that report no issues with the Radeon VII, and that's not enough to know for sure the issue does not occur with that board.

@mm2margaret is your monitor seen as "Television" like mine?

LG 38UC99

I think it may be related to that.

View attachment 416193

I do not have my LG monitor connected right now as I'm moving. My AOC monitor does not report the same as yours, but it also has built-in audio and it is scratchy, sorry, really busy right now.....

Screen Shot 2019-07-13 at 7.03.40 AM.png

I do not have my LG monitor connected right now as I'm moving. My AOC monitor does not report the same as yours, but it also has built-in audio and it is scratchy, sorry, really busy right now.....

View attachment 416199

Thank you for checking. No problem.

I also connected my HDMI to another device (projector) and it has built in speakers and that's also scratchy. Definitely not monitor related, more Radeon VII or something else.

Thank you for checking. No problem.

I also connected my HDMI to another device (projector) and it has built in speakers and that's also scratchy. Definitely not monitor related, more Radeon VII or something else.

Don't know if this will help or is related, but I had the same problem recently with lagging audio and selected clover setting in CC "use ARTfrequency" it solved the lagging audio. But this is in CPU power management section and it may or may not effect what you are using now.

Last edited:
Don't know if this will help or is related, but I had the same problem recently with lagging audio and selected clover setting in CC "use ARTfrequency" it solved the lagging audio. But this is in CPU power management section and it may or may not effect what you are using now.

Thanks for that, tried that setting and also HPET, didn't help.

Am also trying OpenCore/VirtualSMC and that's not helping either.

It comes down to the Radeon VII, Motherboard, or AMD Driver in macOS because it works perfectly fine in Windows.

What's odd is the sound becomes clean sometimes overtime the longer you have the OS booted like a day or a couple of days...but a simple reboot ruins it for another few days.

Thanks for that, tried that setting and also HPET, didn't help.

Am also trying OpenCore/VirtualSMC and that's not helping either.

It comes down to the Radeon VII, Motherboard, or AMD Driver in macOS because it works perfectly fine in Windows.

What's odd is the sound becomes clean sometimes overtime the longer you have the OS booted like a day or a couple of days...but a simple reboot ruins it for another few days.

Something we needed for non intel cpu was busratio=32 boot arg. 32= (3.2GHz). 30= (3.0GHz) 50= (5.0GHz) etc... it has to match your base frequency. But again grasping at straws here.

Back