Contribute
Register

Radeon Compatibility Guide - ATI/AMD Graphics Cards

Hello. I installed Mac 10.13.6 and I had gtx 1050ti, I installed rx470 now after loading I have a black screen, help fix it please.

Did you remove or uninstall the web drivers?
Use lilukext and whatevergreenkext and hdmi or DisplayPort connections.

Did you remove or uninstall the web drivers?
Use lilukext and whatevergreenkext and hdmi or DisplayPort connections.

My monitor does not have hdmi or displayport, only dvi and vga.

My monitor does not have hdmi or displayport, only dvi and vga.

@jasterlg1,

MacOS has not supported VGA for quite a long time now.

I believe that many users have issues when using native DVI on AMD cards, in most cases using an active DP or HDMI to DVI and/or VGA adapter will work.

Or you could try patching the AMD framebuffer so that the DVI port is defined as a DP port :-

Quote from the guide in post #1:-

Radeon Compatibility Guide said:
Each line of the framebuffer equals one physical port, and as you can see, Hamachi perfectly matches! You'll certainly have noticed that the framebuffer contains a lot more information than just those 4 identifiers. I won't cover every single aspect here, just one short note one the connector type which most other tutorials neglect: The first two bytes (byte-swapped!) of each line declare the type of the connector, e.g.:
0x4 => DualLink-DVI
0x200 => SingleLink-DVI
0x400 => (mini)DisplayPort
0x800 => HDMI
Due to the compatibility (some) of those protocols it is way less important to match the connector type than one would think: For example, the DisplayPort specification guarantees backward compatibility to single-link DVI and HDMI. From my experience it's no problem to have a physical DVI port declared as DisplayPort as long as you don't exceed FullHD resolution. Same applies to some other combinations.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
@jaymonkey do you know if the scratchy audio from the DisplayPort output (monitor has built in speakers) is related to the framebuffer on the Radeon VII?

I’m facing some minor issues after switching to a 4K display, and my graphics card is Gigabyte Radeon RX 580 Gaming 8G.

@jaymonkey do you know if the scratchy audio from the DisplayPort output (monitor has built in speakers) is related to the framebuffer on the Radeon VII?

@izo1,

I believe that codec on the HDMI and DP on AMD cards is handled by a separate driver, I don't have a Radeon VII to test with but i do have a Vega 64 and have perfect audio over DP.

You should have Lilu and the AppleALC plugin installed as it makes sure that the HiDef audio codec on your dGPU is configured correctly.

Another thing to check would be that you have HPET enabled in your BIOS and if necessary apply the HPET fix.

See the specific section on HPET in Chapter 5 of the Lilu + Plugin's guide :-

Thats about all i can think of.

Cheers
Jay

@izo1,

I believe that codec on the HDMI and DP on AMD cards is handled by a separate driver, I don't have a Radeon VII to test with but i do have a Vega 64 and have perfect audio over DP.

You should have Lilu and the AppleALC plugin installed as it makes sure that the HiDef audio codec on your dGPU is configured correctly.

Another thing to check would be that you have HPET enabled in your BIOS and if necessary apply the HPET fix.

See the specific section on HPET in Chapter 5 of the Lilu + Plugin's guide :-

Thats about all i can think of.

Cheers
Jay

Thanks! I gave HPET a try...didn't seem to help.

I think it's a driver issue and they have to fix it I hope. I just don't understand why every new driver on macOS is half assed....is it that hard to write drivers?

I don't have any issues with DisplayPort audio with my Radeon VII. I think @mm2margaret also reported issues with HDMI/DisplayPort audio on X299 but didn't have problems with it on Z370.

I don't have any issues with DisplayPort audio with my Radeon VII. I think @mm2margaret also reported issues with HDMI/DisplayPort audio on X299 but didn't have problems with it on Z370.

Yeah that's what I read too, it looks X299 related. HDMI audio has same issue for me.

I'd love to know what setting in Z370/Z390 makes it not have this issue so I can change it in X299 too.

This issue is driving me crazy :(
Otherwise the card is great, minus some tiny bugs.

Yeah that's what I read too, it looks X299 related. HDMI audio has same issue for me.

I'd love to know what setting in Z370/Z390 makes it not have this issue so I can change it in X299 too.

This issue is driving me crazy :(
Otherwise the card is great, minus some tiny bugs.

I never had to do anything other than swap out my Vega 56 and plug in the Radeon VII. No changes to config.plist, kexts, or anything. It just worked.

Back