Radeon Compatibility Guide - ATI/AMD Graphics Cards

sapphire radeon nitro+ rx 580
I need help this card black screen in 10.14.5
EDIT
Fixed-
Disable DSM
Thank You.

Last edited:
I am wanting a card that is silent (i.e. fans stop) when it is not under load. I am happy for fans to spin up when under load. Many cards Radeon advertise this but I'm not sure if it is only when on Windows (i.e. it is controlled by drivers) or if it works perfect under macOS (as it is done at a card/firmware? level).

Can anybody offer any experiences? I know certain RX560 ones are confirmed to do this, but I am struggling to source an RX560 where I am so and RX570 is more likely.

347B1527-1854-4B4E-8B1A-688E41818D12.jpeg

I hope I don’t get beat up for this!

Many cards Radeon advertise this but I'm not sure if it is only when on Windows (i.e. it is controlled by drivers) or if it works perfect under macOS (as it is done at a card/firmware? level).

@phrozenpenguin,

I think you have that the wrong way round, in MacOS AMD GPU Fans and Clocks are controlled by the OS Drivers where as in Windows they are controlled by the on-board firmware this is true for Vega based cards.

@phrozenpenguin,

I think you have that the wrong way round, in MacOS AMD GPU Fans and Clocks are controlled by the OS Drivers where as in Windows they are controlled by the on-board firmware this is true for Vega based cards.
Do you know if this is also true for RX560/RX570 cards?

A few month ago I tested a Sapphire NITRO+ Radeon RX Vega 56. Coil whine while in macOS without any 3D applications open, just Mail, Firefox and so. I returned it and used the GTX 970 again.

Now I looking for a new AMD card that is silent in macOS with normal load. Any ideas? Just wait for new ones?

I have 2 hacks, one with a GTX 1080 and the other one with a GTX 970. Using both hacks for After Effects and some C4D.

Really don't want to go with Windows - only for gaming. Don't wanna miss the real Magic Mouse support and as a coder I prefer UNIX.

Hey there,

Is there any chance to make the rx 560 works on el capitan ? I'm currently on HS and it works perfectly on it but I need to move back to el capitan for software purpose...

Back