Contribute
Register

Radeon Compatibility Guide - ATI/AMD Graphics Cards

RX590 is out it seems and has about 10-15% better performance than RX580...this is good for people who don't want to get a Vega 56/64 and hopefully its natively supported in 10.14.2

It is reported to have the device ID 0x6FDF1002 so it may take editing of the info.plist of the kexts. Or use clover fake ID and ATI injection.

I haven't seen any for sale yet keeping an eye on preorder.

Early reports are suggesting the RX 590 is going to be quite power hungry.

Yeah AMD seems to be doing not so great on the wattage side in their GPUs, far worse than NVIDIA (who is miles ahead in power consumption/performance ratio).

Hopefully NAVI is better when they move to 7nm. The Vega is a power hungry beast too.

Yeah AMD seems to be doing not so great on the wattage side in their GPUs, far worse than NVIDIA (who is miles ahead in power consumption/performance ratio).

Hopefully NAVI is better when they move to 7nm. The Vega is a power hungry beast too.

I am managing OK with a MSI Air Boost Vega 64 on an ASRock ITX board using an SF600 power supply. I did lower the voltage, GPU speed, and fan speed. so it isn't taking the full 295W to run it. CPU is 8700 with 32GB of RAM

I am managing OK with a MSI Air Boost Vega 64 on an ASRock ITX board using an SF600 power supply. I did lower the voltage, GPU speed, and fan speed. so it isn't taking the full 295W to run it. CPU is 8700 with 32GB of RAM

Yeah, I don't really have any issues with the Vega FE either, but it's definitely a beastly card...also the cooler is blower style, the Liquid Edition would be a much better GPU to have.

In Windows if I do game (rarely nowadays) I underclock the voltage and overclock the ram a tiny bit and it runs fine and I get higher framerates (45-60fps for Assassins Creed: Odyssey at 3840x1600, FreeSync monitor)

I also undervolted my Vega 56. With undervolting and overclocking, I saw massive performance gains while lowering temps. The Vega cards really have a lot of potential when tweaked correctly.

Mine is the blower style, but it is in a Lian-Li PC-TU200 case with the blower facing downward. There is just enough room to put a 120mmx15mm Noctua fan between the case bottom and the blower input so it puts positive pressure with fresh air in front of the blower intake. Makes it little quieter too. Temps during this benchmark were mostly below 40C with momentary bumps up to 47C according to the benchmark. This case is known to have heat problems but if you put Noctua fans in the front and bottom and remove the ridiculous 3.5"x4 drive cage, it cools very well. Not too happy they quit making the PC-TU line of cases.
Screen Shot 2018-11-15 at 4.16.45 PM.png

Mine is the blower style, but it is in a Lian-Li PC-TU200 case with the blower facing downward. There is just enough room to put a 120mmx15mm Noctua fan between the case bottom and the blower input so it puts positive pressure with fresh air in front of the blower intake. Makes it little quieter too. Temps during this benchmark were mostly below 40C with momentary bumps up to 47C according to the benchmark. This case is known to have heat problems but if you put Noctua fans in the front and bottom and remove the ridiculous 3.5"x4 drive cage, it cools very well. Not too happy they quit making the PC-TU line of cases.
View attachment 365701

My Vega 56 also has a blower style cooler. I applied liquid metal to it. I use a Silverstone KL06 case with Noctuas everywhere and it has very good cooling. I can probably push the clocks more but I'm happy with the performance, temps, and stability right now so I don't want to mess with it.

Screen Shot 2018-10-28 at 7.11.19 AM.png

Just ordered a XFX Fatboy RX 590 on Amazon. Sold out but they will ship as soon as they come in. They were sold out on Newegg as well. Man I’ve been checking all day for these to be on sale. Missed the first run for the FatBoy a 3 slot monster.

43F7B7E0-5B92-4604-BBAC-B8CE6A66CE34.jpeg

Just ordered a XFX Fatboy RX 590 on Amazon. Sold out but they will ship as soon as they come in. They were sold out on Newegg as well. Man I’ve been checking all day for these to be on sale. Missed the first run for the FatBoy a 3 slot monster.

View attachment 365704

Let us know how it works out. I always worry about XFX cards. So many of them in the past wouldn't work but now Apple has listed a few that are recommended for eGPUs.

Back