Contribute
Register

Radeon Compatibility Guide - ATI/AMD Graphics Cards

The code is correct , we have the same GPU, it's a rebrand RX 460.

Use this on terminal to unlock bigger resolutions :

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.plist DisplayResolutionEnabled -bool true

Then reboot and at the display menu hold ALT and click Scaled.

Use that app to change resolutions.

Attachments

• RDM.zip
    89.4 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Right, the results for sleep and wake with an RX560 are in. Thanks to @Gigamaxx and @bortoni for the pointers.

State of play -

With the RadeonDeInit flag set to "true" and no extra kexts the system worked well, was fully accelerated but sleep turned-off the display, wound-down the hard disk but left the motherboard on. The keyboard had no response so wake didn't happen. A reset was needed.

With RadeonDeInit set to "false" AND the Lilu and Whatevergreen kexts in my EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other directory the system went to sleep but woke instantly to the log-in screen. I also tried the kexts in the L/E directory on my SSD. No difference.

What I did next -

I left the two kexts in place in the EFI folder (removed the others in L/E and rebuilt caches) and added the following under the Devices key in my config.plist:

Code:
<key>Arbitrary</key>
        <array>
            <dict>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string>AMD Sleep Patch</string>
                <key>CustomProperties</key>
                <array>
                    <dict>
                        <key>Disabled</key>
                        <false/>
                        <key>Key</key>
                        <string>CFG,CFG_FB_LIMIT</string>
                        <key>Value</key>
                        <data>
                        Aw==
                        </data>
                    </dict>
                </array>
                <key>PciAddr</key>
                <string>01:00.00</string>
            </dict>

This is suggested by @shuhung at post #7 here.

As advised by @Gigamaxx I changed the FB count to 03 (the "Aw==" in the code) after first trying 05.

This has worked and sleep now works pretty well. The display turns off, the hard drive eventually spins down, there's a brief flick up in speed of the GPU fans and then the system goes silent, all LEDs off. A press of the key brings everything back - with sound.

IMPORTANT: If you read this post previously you'll know I initially had a completely different experience with this patch. This seems to have been caused by a typo on my part. Apologies if I mislead anyone trying to solve the same problem.:oops:

Thanks again to @shuhung for letting me know. Appreciated!

I noticed a similar edit from @jb007 to the above one at post #10 on the same thread, to change the displayed GPU name in System Report.

You can also add this code to the Devices/Arbitrary section:

Code:
<key>Arbitrary</key>
        <array>
            <dict>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string>GPU Rename</string>
                <key>CustomProperties</key>
                <array>
                    <dict>
                        <key>Disabled</key>
                        <false/>
                        <key>Key</key>
                        <string>CFG,model</string>
                        <key>Value</key>
                        <string>Radeon RX 560 OC</string>
                    </dict>
                </array>
                <key>PciAddr</key>
                <string>01:00.00</string>
            </dict>
        </array>

Here's how the new name string looks when in place:

Since I tried this I've actually removed the rename patch and am sticking with the name Whatevergreen gives me - "Radeon Pro 560". Given my skills with code it's safer to keep it to a minimum! LOL! :oops:

So to clarify: I have Lilu and Whatevergreen kexts in the EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other folder. I have RadeonDeInit set to "false" and I have the CFG_FB_LINIT patch set to "03" in place. (Intel injection is set to "true" although the BIOS hides the iGPU from the OS).

:)

P.S I also downloaded "AMD9xxxControllerPatcher.kext" and took a look through it's info.plist to see what it did (that's all it is, no compiled code) and it looks interesting, but in the end I didn't need to try it. Unless something changes ...

Thanks for this guide. I followed your instructions. Hope that it works!

Thanks for this guide. I followed your instructions. Hope that it works!

I hope so too. Report back when you can.

I didn't add any other framebuffers after the patch so I will be interested in your findings :)

I can't figure it out for the life of me ....if I boot it with inject ati and rdeinit and remove hdmi cable then I plug it back it s going to 1080p resolution without any possibilities to upscale to 4k at all .
If i boot up with inject ati and rdeinit it goes to no signal.
What s your system definition?

Add this kext to EFI folder, kexts->others. It will unlock bigger resolutions.

Then open terminal and repair with : sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u /

After reboot, boot with ati inject + radeondeinit and open terminal, use this code: ioreg -lw0 | grep CFG_FB_LIMIT ,send picture with the output.

Attachments

• AMD9xxxControllerPatcher.kext.zip
    3.7 KB · Views: 64
  • Screen Shot 2018-01-16 at 18.40.31.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-16 at 18.40.31.png
    53.9 KB · Views: 148
Is anyone using iMac Pro 1,1 with a Vega card?
Is it helping with idle fan speeds etc?

It didn't do anything for me the iMac Pro Vega card has heat pipes and relies on 2 system fans which is probably why we have the fan issue. The iMac Pro also had the T2 Arm chip that controls temps ( and a few other things) as well so it could also be the reason for fan speeds.

It didn't do anything for me the iMac Pro Vega card has heat pipes and relies on 2 system fans which is probably why we have the fan issue. The iMac Pro also had the T2 Arm chip that controls temps ( and a few other things) as well so it could also be the reason for fan speeds.

I would think at some point by this spring they'll have this fan speed thing worked out since that's when they plan on having good eGPU support (and they'll probably eventually push people to buy the vega cards instead of the current RX 580s). I hope it is sorted out sooner than spring though. I'd like to buy a vega card. The only thing keeping me from getting one is the fan speed issue and the fact that they aren't available anywhere for a regular price. LOL

I hope so too. Report back when you can.

I didn't add any other framebuffers after the patch so I will be interested in your findings :)

Okay, so I played around with it a bit. Here's what I get with Lilu and Whatevergreen kexts:
lilu, whatever.png

Here's what I get with Radeon De Int enabled in Clover (with no Lilu or Whatevergreen):
radeondeint.png
I am not sure which one of these is better. I haven't tried sleep yet, just booted up.

Update:
1) RadeonDeInt gives me 83fps in Cinebench. WhateverGreen&Lilu gives me 90fps.
2) System did not boot without RadeonDeInt, had to rebuild cache.

3) The method recommended by UtterDisbelief works perfect. I placed WhateverGreen&Lilu into Library/Extensions and patched via Clover. Thanks again!
4) I have framebuffer (Acre) selected in Clover. I would appreciate if somebody could tell me if this actually does anything.

Last edited:
Back