Contribute
Register

Radeon Compatibility Guide - ATI/AMD Graphics Cards

It’s like the 1060 vs the 1050, If you get a 560 go with 4gb version and don’t get XFX rx 460-560 they have a Vbios that doesn’t work. XFX Polaris 10 or 470-580 models are fine but the Polaris 11 460-560 models don’t work in OSX.
Thanks for the info, I'll go with the msi AERO ITX (available and cheap) or the ASUS ROG OC (quieter, longer lasting fan, can only find used, thanks puny miners!)

Breaking News for AMD cards!
AMD Graphics Cards wake to black screen has been solved and is now in the latest version of clover 4296. Its an SSDT fix that was discovered by Mieze and Slice incorporated it into Clover.

What does this new clover do? It replaces the need for the lilukext and whatevergreenkext fix for AMD cards for use as primary display. In other words, the black screen and black screen after wake for AMD Radeon cards since El Capitan is fixed/solved. Most older and newer up to Polaris cards are able to use the card as a dedicated graphics card without the need for an IGPU or integrated graphics.

This means that AMD cards are that much closer to running "native" in OS X El Capitan through High Sierra betas. Audio and frame buffer for multi display outputs still need fixes in some cases but the annoying black screen issue is fixed. This will make it much simpler to install and run AMD graphics cards on a wider variety of platforms.

Update:
This works for UEFI boot systems, there seem to be some bugs for some users with older motherboards that use legacy boot mode only, so whatever green and lilu may still be needed for those users. This new clover should work for Haswell and newer systems so its still a great plus.

what about Vega?

what about Vega?

My Vega runs native, no kexts, no fixes, and I have HDMI audio. Its the first AMD card to be supported this way in a long, long time. This clover fix is for Polaris and earlier cards all the way to the 6450 and maybe beyond depending on Which OS version.

Strange it worked, but after few reboots not anymore..

Installed again, not working... :/

You have to check the De-initiate option in boot menu. The problem is Clover Configurator doesn't see this as an option yet to set permanently I've checked in xCode and Text Wrangler but it doesn't show up either.

My Vega runs native, no kexts, no fixes, and I have HDMI audio. Its the first AMD card to be supported this way in a long, long time. This clover fix is for Polaris and earlier cards all the way to the 6450 and maybe beyond depending on Which OS version.
Beside the XFX, do you know if there are any differences running non-reference cards like the Nitro+ rather than the Plus in considering the rx560/570? I know there was some issues with the 580s *edit, there is no reference 570 but you know what I mean

Last edited:
You have to check the De-initiate option in boot menu. The problem is Clover Configurator doesn't see this as an option yet to set permanently I've checked in xCode and Text Wrangler but it doesn't show up either.

I changed config.plist in textmate and set radeon deinitate true

Isnt that enough? Must be done in bootmenu while booting?

Beside the XFX, do you know if there are any differences running non-reference cards like the Nitro+ rather than the Plus in considering the rx560/570? I know there was some issues with the 580s *edit, there is no reference 570 but you know what I mean

Sapphire, power cooler, xfx, MSi, Asus, for 570, 580.

460-560 go gigabyte, Saphire, Asus, Powercooler.

The 570 will blow the 560 away and you will notice it. IF you can find a RX 470/480 on clearance that would be the best perf/dollar @ $200 or so.

Its in Graphics settings.
Yes i found it thanks, but was checked already...

But same problem... Sleep ... Wake -> No screen, need to reboot and get out cmos battery te recover.. :(

Installed clover again and again....

Screen:

upload_2017-11-11_22-49-20.png

Last edited:
Back