Contribute
Register

Radeon Compatibility Guide - ATI/AMD Graphics Cards

i use ssdt provided by slice..

You can edit the kext AMD9510controllerkext. Right click on it and select "show package contents" then open the macOS folder and drag the controller to desktop. download iHex (free) and open it, drag controller to iHex window. Go to top tool bar and select "Edit" scroll to "Find" and then scroll right to "find". on the top left of iHex window select "text" mode. Type in AMD R9 xxx. then type in AMD RX 580 in the second window. Go to right side of window and select "Next" just hit it once. The script R9 xxx should light up yellow. Now hit the "replace" tab once ( if you hit it twice it will add the new name twice and corrupt the file. It willl flash once and the one will change to RX 580. Close iHex and hit save option. Now drag the edited controller back to macOS folder and replace. Run kext Wizard before reboot. I've done this many times, and it works until the next update. save a copy of the original kext in a folder before you do the edit in case you need to replace it again.

Here's an example my RX Vega has the name AMD RX xxx but I did the edit and named it RX Vega 64. I also named my CPU but thats a different process.

Vega Ryz .png

Last edited:
Try Inject Ati in clover boot menu.

Did you check the 8000controolerkext for similar IDs? Or was 0x68101002 only in the 7000controllerkext?

Try clover boot manager screen set Framebuffer. Hamachi, Futomaki, OPM, try these separately, or one at a time.

Also, try Uningine Valley to see if you have acceleration and see what is says after a benchmark.

Ok ...I'll do some tests tonight.
if it can be helpful, I found the info on the card.
GPU Name: Pitcairn
Here : all spec

Ok ...I'll do some tests tonight.
if it can be helpful, I found the info on the card.
GPU Name: Pitcairn
Here : all spec

That is a different card form most Pitcairns no 6-8 pin power added. I have a R7 265 which is very similar to yours but it has a 6 pin power connector. It IDs as a R9 270x in clover and it runs natively in OSX. I think my clock speed is around 900mhz though but I have 2gb memory.

Finally my 290X works OOB on OSX.

I changed my smbios profile from 15.1 to 14.2, put lilu and whatevergreen in the kexts folder and most importantly, in the bios I said that the main video card is the 290X, the integrated one I have disabled.

Last edited:
Finally my 290X works OOB on OSX.

I changed my smbios profile from 15.1 to 14.2, put lilu and whatevergreen in the kexts folder and most importantly, in the bios I said that the main video card is the 290X, the integrated one I have disabled.

With the 15.1 Symbios it wouldn’t work? I’ve been reading about some Nvidia users switching to 15.1 to get functionality with web drivers latley. Interesting!

With the 15.1 Symbios it wouldn’t work? I’ve been reading about some Nvidia users switching to 15.1 to get functionality with web drivers latley. Interesting!

Yes, with smbios 15.1 it didn't work. But with smbios 15.1 I need to do one try more, (disabled integrated and check).

Sincerly, I can't confirm you at this moment.

This night I will check, with 14.2 without lilu and whatevergreen, then with 15.1 and finally with 17.... (without kexts and with them).

My first post in this area of the forum, and I appreciate there is a vast amount of information in the 150+ pages of this thread, but for someone outside of the graphics area it is hard to work out what is current, what is in flux and basically what the current state of play with. I am hoping someone who is up to speed can offer some thoughts.

I have an HP 8300 machine running Sierra, looking to upgrade to High Sierra at some point. Currently using on-board HD4000 graphics and looking to upgrade in order to help with video editing. I have explored the Nvidia options, which seem to be what most people use.

My question is - is there an easy to use OOB Radeon card that I can drop in and will work reliably (inc sleep)? The card needs to be powered by the slot i.e. no external power, due to the limitations of my PSU / cabling. Budget wise, I wouldn't be looking to spend over the equivilant of a Nvidia Quadro P400 or a GTX1050, and preferably much less. It just needs to be an improvement from on-board HD4000, which I am learning is not so difficult.

If you can find a Gigabyte rx 460 4gb for around $100 or less used they are running well for the price. They don’t have or need a 6 pin connector. Mine has the performance level of a R9 270 while using less than half the wattage. 75watts for a Geekbench Compute of 75-80k.

Sapphire, powercooler, work too but they may have 6 pin supply. Stay away from XFX rx 460-560 models.

Breaking News for AMD cards!
AMD Graphics Cards wake to black screen has been solved and is now in the latest version of clover 4296. Its an SSDT fix that was discovered by Mieze and Slice incorporated it into Clover.

What does this new clover do? It replaces the need for the lilukext and whatevergreenkext fix for AMD cards for use as primary display. In other words, the black screen and black screen after wake for AMD Radeon cards since El Capitan is fixed/solved. Most older and newer up to Polaris cards are able to use the card as a dedicated graphics card without the need for an IGPU or integrated graphics.

This means that AMD cards are that much closer to running "native" in OS X El Capitan through High Sierra betas. Audio and frame buffer for multi display outputs still need fixes in some cases but the annoying black screen issue is fixed. This will make it much simpler to install and run AMD graphics cards on a wider variety of platforms.

Update:
This works for UEFI boot systems, there seem to be some bugs for some users with older motherboards that use legacy boot mode only, so whatever green and lilu may still be needed for those users. This new clover should work for Haswell and newer systems so its still a great plus.

Last edited:
Breaking News for AMD cards!
AMD Graphics Cards wake to black screen has been solved and is now in the latest version of clover 4296. Its an SSDT fix that was discovered by Mieze and Slice incorporated it into Clover.

What does this new clover do? It replaces the need for the lilukext and whatevergreenkext fix for AMD cards for use as primary display. In other words, the black screen and black screen after wake for AMD Radeon cards since El Capitan is fixed/solved. Most older and newer up to Polaris cards are able to use the card as a dedicated graphics card without the need for an IGPU or integrated graphics.

This means that AMD cards are that much closer to running "native" in OS X El Capitan through High Sierra betas. Audio and frame buffer for multi display outputs still need fixes in some cases but the annoying black screen issue is fixed. This will make it much simpler to install and run AMD graphics cards on a wider variety of platforms.

Update:
This works for UEFI boot systems, there seem to be some bugs for some users with older motherboards that use legacy boot mode only, so whatever green and lilu may still be needed for those users. This new clover should work for Haswell and newer systems so its still a great plus.

Unfortunately, exact same problem :( Sleep -> Wake from sleep -> Fans spinning , no screen, need to hard reboot. then reboot loop. Exact the same as with previous clover.... (need to remove cmos battery and memory to recover)

Z68XP-UD3 - F10 BiOS
AMD 6850

Back