Contribute
Register

Radeon Compatibility Guide - ATI/AMD Graphics Cards

If the ID is already in the 9520controller then remove it so you are using the 9500 only.. I think I tested before the 12.6 update was available.. Try that and run kext wizzard before reboot. I have whatever green in clover other folder and S/L/Extensions. I use boot arg. radbeta to load the whatever kext. Without using the radbeta I get black screen.

If the ID is already in the 9520controller then remove it so you are using the 9500 only.. I think I tested before the 12.6 update was available.. Try that and run kext wizzard before reboot. I have whatever green in clover other folder and S/L/Extensions. I use boot arg. radbeta to load the whatever kext. Without using the radbeta I get black screen.

Thanks @Gigamaxx - I'm back in the chair now so will start digging around.

:)

Ok. That was "easy".

Thanks for the excellent advice @Gigamaxx . I reverted the 9510 kext (I'd copied it to a temp directory and then used Kext Beast to re-install it after deleting the modified one. Ran Kext Wizard to repair permissions etc.)

The answer to the hiccup was easier than I was expecting. I went over to the main whatevergreen/lilu/shiki etc developer site and noticed the latest whatevergreen needed the latest lilu v 1.1.7 - I'd been using 1.1.5. It was as simple as updating the Lilu kext. Whatevergreen subsequently loaded.

My RX 560 now shows as a Radeon Pro 560 in System Report which I believe we can call a big :thumbup:.

Changing BIOS to disable iGPU and use PCI Slot 1 instead ... works! No blank screen for boot. There's a brief white-screen flash just before the RX 560 gets initialised for the log-in screen.

Now to do some testing. So far though I'm very pleased with the power of the 560 for my limited needs. The new-style "3D Fan" and virtually silent running when not stressed is a big bonus for a dual-fan card.

Thanks again @Gigamaxx . I appreciated your time and help. Hopefully this little part of the thread will help others planning on a new RX 5-series AMD card. I'm on 10.12.6 and using System Definition iMac14,2. No need for a frame-buffer inject, ATI inject or anything for this card.

:)

I have and RX 460, with whatevergreen's kext I got full acceleration even in initial setup, with iGPU disabled in bios. It is recognized as a Radeon Pro 460. It's working wonderfully, only HDMI Audio is like slow motion and my fans won't spin up when the gpu is under stress, so it will throttle. Any ideas?

I have and RX 460, with whatevergreen's kext I got full acceleration even in initial setup, with iGPU disabled in bios. It is recognized as a Radeon Pro 460. It's working wonderfully, only HDMI Audio is like slow motion and my fans won't spin up when the gpu is under stress, so it will throttle. Any ideas?

Are you sure the fans aren't spinning? Do they spin up at boot?

Audio is horrible in Sierra if you wait for High Sierra there is full audio support.

Are you sure the fans aren't spinning? Do they spin up at boot?

Audio is horrible in Sierra if you wait for High Sierra there is full audio support.
Fans are spinning, just at their lowest possible. They won't spin any faster when the card is in under stress.

Fans are spinning, just at their lowest possible. They won't spin any faster when the card is in under stress.

Have you tried Luxmark or Uningine benchmarks? It may not need to cool that much if the board design is efficient. Many non reference designs run cooler than the reference models.

When you put it under stress are you feeling a lot of heat from the card? Put your hand close to it and see if its excessively hot. We have AutowattMan to control power and temps in OS/OSX.

AutoWattMan.png

Have you tried Luxmark or Uningine benchmarks? It may not need to cool that much if the board design is efficient. Many non reference designs run cooler than the reference models.

When you put it under stress are you feeling a lot of heat from the card? Put your hand close to it and see if its excessively hot. We have AutowattMan to control power and temps in OS/OSX.

View attachment 278587
Yes, it gets as hot as the bios probably lets it. I played a CS:GO session, it got very very hot and my fps dropped from 150-200 down to 30-60. I guess it's heavily throttling to not pass the temp target.

Back