Register

Radeon Compatibility Guide - ATI/AMD Graphics Cards

Motherboard
GA-Z170x-Designare
CPU
Core i7-6700k
Graphics
AMD FirePro W9000 + Radeon 7970
RX480/580 are loaded thanks to another kext, which is AMDRadeonX4100.kext. But inside this one there is no instance of CFG_USE_AGDC var. But inside the info.plist of this kext there are references to Baffin acceleration and as matter of fact my card has been seen as a "Baffin prototype", that's to say Baffin unknown model.
I suspect you need to patch the Berbice framebuffer so that it matches your card. Or else inject ATI with the RadeonFramebuffer in Clover.

Motherboard
GA Z170N-Gaming 5
CPU
i7 6700T
Graphics
MSI RX 460 2G
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Classic
  2. iBook
  3. iMac
  4. Power Mac
  5. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
FWIW, while on 10.12.5 with an MSI RX460 2GB, I got a considerably lower Geekbench OpenCL Compute score when using the Berbice frame buffer (with appropriate patch applied) vs using the stock drivers. Scored 56,000 using the framebuffer vs 72,000 without it.

Not sure if this is expected or not, but I decided to stick with the stock solution and figured I'd post this info here for others.

Motherboard
GA-Z170X-Gaming 5
CPU
Intel 6700k
Graphics
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
@Fl0r!an
Hi man,
I have a question and forgive me if it is asked before, but regarding the old R9 270X and R9 280X. Do they work without the need of a helper card to boot into macOS Sierra and macOS High Sierra? I'm about to buy one of those and I just wanted to make sure I don't get the black screen in macOS.

Thanks.

Motherboard
Intel S2600CP2J
CPU
2 x Intel Xeon E5-2670
Graphics
AMD Radeon HD7970 GHz Edition
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@Fl0r!an
Hi man,
I have a question and forgive me if it is asked before, but regarding the old R9 270X and R9 280X. Do they work without the need of a helper card to boot into macOS Sierra and macOS High Sierra? I'm about to buy one of those and I just wanted to make sure I don't get the black screen in macOS.

Thanks.
I can confirm that the HD7970/280X (so long as it's not an XFX) works in Sierra. I swapped out my R9 290X (*sigh*) in order to get access to Sierra.

What was strange, however, was that when I swapped the 290X for the 7970 in El Capitan, I kept getting kernel panics and boot to black screens. Eventually, I got around this by creating USB install drive with Sierra and upgrading my El Capitan install to Sierra. Everything is now working correctly on the graphics side of things.

Just yeah, maybe be careful with Clover GPU settings if you're swapping out GPUs.

Hopefully High Sierra comes out with support for the R9 290X without the blackscreen issue. There's a pretty big performance jump between the 7970 and 290X under Windows.

Motherboard
GA-Z170X-Gaming 5
CPU
Intel 6700k
Graphics
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
I can confirm that the HD7970/280X (so long as it's not an XFX) works in Sierra. I swapped out my R9 290X (*sigh*) in order to get access to Sierra.

What was strange, however, was that when I swapped the 290X for the 7970 in El Capitan, I kept getting kernel panics and boot to black screens. Eventually, I got around this by creating USB install drive with Sierra and upgrading my El Capitan install to Sierra. Everything is now working correctly on the graphics side of things.

Just yeah, maybe be careful with Clover GPU settings if you're swapping out GPUs.

Hopefully High Sierra comes out with support for the R9 290X without the blackscreen issue. There's a pretty big performance jump between the 7970 and 290X under Windows.

Oh, Thanks a lot for the reply and the tips :)

I currently using the Sapphire 7790 and it boots to black screen in macOS Sierra without a helper card, so for now I use El Capitan. I'm not going to use this PC for anything special like photo/video editing it's just my second PC that I use for certain task and tests, so the performance is not my main concern. I just want to be able to boot into macOS Sierra and macOS High Sierra without getting the black screen.

Hi guys,

Sorry if I am a little lazy (and also a bit in a hurry)...
But would a RX 460 4GB work in a hackintosh OOB (even with no boot logo, I don't care...).
I would run macOs Sierra 12.5.

If it helps, I am ready to install earlier versions (but not too old ones).

Thanks for your answers.

Regards.

Motherboard
Intel S2600CP2J
CPU
2 x Intel Xeon E5-2670
Graphics
AMD Radeon HD7970 GHz Edition
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
What's the status of older high-end ATI/AMD cards in High Sierra? Do they still need a helper card to avoid the boot to black screen issue?