Contribute
Register

[Radeon 6xxx] White Screen of Death During Install Fix!

Status
Not open for further replies.
CPU
i5-2500K
Graphics
650 ti
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. Other
For any of you out there having this problem while trying to boot from the usb to do your ML install, and you get the white screen of death, I have the fix for you! (Radeon 6xxx)

I know that with my Radeon card, it was driving me nuts that every time I tried to boot from the usb, it would always boot up to the white screen with the black mouse and I couldn't do anything. After much searching, I finally found an answer at another forum! (I would love to give them credit, but not sure if cross posting or cross mentioning is allowed, so I'll just post the fix here. If it is allowed, I'll post a link to the forum and people to give full credit)

After you prepare your usb stick, go in and totally cut ATI6000Controller.kext out of the usb stick and paste it somewhere that you can install it back to your main hdd after the install with Kext Wizard if you have any of the 6xxx cards. Once you get installed from the usb, reboot and you will be able to use Kext Wizard to put the kext back to where it belongs. (or do it manually if you know what you are doing :p) After you replace the ATI6000Controller.kext file, then reboot again and your graphics will be good to go!

When can I find ATI6000.kext on my USB

For any of you out there having this problem while trying to boot from the usb to do your ML install, and you get the white screen of death, I have the fix for you! (Radeon 6xxx)

I know that with my Radeon card, it was driving me nuts that every time I tried to boot from the usb, it would always boot up to the white screen with the black mouse and I couldn't do anything. After much searching, I finally found an answer at another forum! (I would love to give them credit, but not sure if cross posting or cross mentioning is allowed, so I'll just post the fix here. If it is allowed, I'll post a link to the forum and people to give full credit)

After you prepare your usb stick, go in and totally cut ATI6000Controller.kext out of the usb stick and paste it somewhere that you can install it back to your main hdd after the install with Kext Wizard if you have any of the 6xxx cards. Once you get installed from the usb, reboot and you will be able to use Kext Wizard to put the kext back to where it belongs. (or do it manually if you know what you are doing :p) After you replace the ATI6000Controller.kext file, then reboot again and your graphics will be good to go!

When can I find ATI6000.kext on my USB

Thanks Very Much

First you have to run the "SHOWALL" app to see hidden folders and remove offending KEXT

Second Thank You...
With all the grief that video card gave me in Lion leading up to replacing the ATI6000Controller.kext I should have known that without searching for an answer.

With that said, SuperStarGoddess you are the BEST

This worked out pretty nicely. It's an annoyance, to be sure, but I'm glad I didn't have to throw away the video card.

Thanks!

This didnt work for me guys..i booted the usb key (obv before i deleted the ati6000 kext), when i booted it appears a white screen with the apple in the center and the spinning wheel, the wheel does circular movement and never stops. I let the pc doing this for 20 min after i shutted it down. What's wrong guys? thank you for the help

See the first post

Prepare the USB, delete the kext BEFORE the Mtn Lion USB boot.

I followed your advice and was finally abled to install ML.
After install, I ran KextBeast to reinstall the ATI6000Controller. I also ran MB with a DSDT from tonmacx86 for my motherboard. I checked Realtek ACL6889 in the "With DSDT section".
The system won't boot, it stops at the apple logo after a while (another logo shows up on top it, meaning I guess it doesn't find something).

When I boot the system (not from the USB) with the command GraphicsEnabler=No, it works, and I get the normal screen configuration. Just like a working system, but I lack sound too.

Any clue to help me??

Thanks!

OH and I'm on 10.8.1

EDIT:

I've been able to boot with the command GraphicsEnabler=Yes. It makes no sense to me since it was working with GraphicsEnabler=No...

So what's up with that?

And how can I make sound work again?

I have made a Geekbench test and I get half what I used to have on Lion (6000 instead of 1100). Is something wrong? In "About this Mac", my graphic card shows right, and so does my processor i7 3.51 Ghz

Thanks in advance for helping me out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back