CPU
i5-2410m
Graphics
HD 3000 & RX 490m
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Ok guys I really want to use the on board Radeon card built into my machine and I know some of you have already made some attempt on getting this to work with:

Adding ATI card IDs to ATI.c - update (8-Sept) viewtopic.php?f=119&t=19330

On page 37 (I think) Notshy says that this work is focused on the desktop carts not the mobile cards so we kind of left it dead....

Yesterday I was inspired to google the card working in lion (due to iMovie taking 50 hours to import 1:34 hours of hd video) and did come across a result of it apparently working...

According to the topic the built in display doesn't work with the radeon (no big deal we can use the hd3000) but it does work with QE/CI if booted on hdmi.

I've tried installing the files I downloaded from my google find, the alternative bootloader did boot but did still get the "unsupported card!" message on boot and it says the ati6000 controller kext could not be loaded.

What did other people get when they tried notshy's method??

My google find: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... pic=253557

Instructions aren't exactly clear but hopefully 1 of you might be more in tune with the concept so can explain it step by step for the rest of us if you got it to work....

IF YOU ARE GOING TO TRY AND DO THIS YOU WILL NEED TO MOVE / DELETE YOUR DSDT OR YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO BOOT WITH THE GRAPHICS CARD ACTIVE.

EDIT since writing this i've realised my card is a 6490m not 6470m though it was listed on the site as 6470m try using CPU-Z to check.

Re: Radeon 6470m Project

The boot file attached to the Post I found at insanely isn't working for me now for some reason so I'm now using Chimera from multibeast (as it apparently supports the ati cards)

I do not get the 'Unsupported card!' message, it is recognised by lion but isn't being used.

masso912 said:
http://forge.voodooprojects.org/p/chameleon/source/changes/HEAD/

The revision 1657 has fixed the ATI id.

In any case, i can boot with DSDT... but my card is only recognized. don't know how to switch with it.

I found that it was impossible to boot with the DSDT in place.

I've gone to the link and figured out how to download it (I think) but where is it now on my laptop???

EDIT I figured that out, and I can find a dmg in the folder but it say 2.0 which is an older version isn't it?

Ok well I tried that boot loader and it just wouldn't load at all, I've reverted back to the 2.1 v1618 chameleon.... I might give the chimera standalone a try and see if that makes any difference at all

You need to compile it with Xcode. ;)

Count me in, guys!
I'm pretty sure that chameleon still has the wrong device id inside for the 6490M.
Then again, after adding my device id it still showed up as unsupported on the bootloader.
Also, if it doesn't work with the internal display, maybe we have to apply the DualLink property to the device in the DSDT.
@Dewitts: have you tried renaming every occurence of "GFX0" to "IGPU" in your DSDT?
Edit: Yup, still not recognized with rev 1657

da_beidl said:
Edit: Yup, still not recognized with rev 1657

Yup, noticed that too.

I recall that a user had patched a version of boot loader that recognize the 6470m... But it didn't do anything except that. All the kext were loaded but no way to switch it with intel 3000.

Code:
Unsupported ATI card! Device ID: [1002:6760] Subsystem ID: [167d103c]
So I've added the shown Subsystem ID to the ati.c, still not working.
Even if the graphics enabler is not working I get the ATI kexts loaded correctly. (ATI6000Controller, ATIRadeonX3000, ATISupport).
Screenshot from IORegExplorer.
Also, am I the only one who can see the device-id being "`g" on his laptop?

EDIT: OK, I got a little further...
I removed all the array entries I've added and just modified the original one with the right device-id and the Ipomoea framebuffer (the closest one matching according to THIS)
Code:
Using PCI-Root-UID value: 0
Framebuffer @0xB0000000  MMIO @0xD0900000	I/O Port @0x00003000 ROM Addr @0xFFFE0000
ATI card POSTed, reading VBIOS from legacy space
(AtiConfig) Framebuffer set to: Ipomoea
Nr of ports set to framebuffer's default: 3
ATI Caicos AMD Radeon HD 6490M 4095MB (Ipomoea) [1002:6760] (subsys [103c:167d]):: PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)

(lol@ "4095MB")
Modified line for 6490M:
Code:
	{ 0x6760,	0x167D103C,	CHIP_FAMILY_CAICOS,		"AMD Radeon HD 6490M",				kIpomoea		},

Are you guys just trying for the 6470/6490 or are you also working on the 6630? I think the new MacMini comes with a 6630 right? I have a Vostro 3450 with an AMD 6630 in it I could do some testing on if you guys need me to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back