RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I changed my GPU to a GB Radeon RX 580.
The AMD drivers are pretty awful in Win 10 with erratic mouse and cursors, something that should be basic, cited as a known issue in the fine print accompanying the drivers on the AMD web site. Placing a cursor inside a word makes you feel like a reeling drunk.
Who would have imagined something so basic would be a problem in 2018?
The 580 will not support a second monitor in High Sierra or Mojave with either 2 DP or DP and HDMI cables. That seems to be a common problem regardless of the GPU OEM, many cite problems with their Sapphire version, and the many posts I see on this site have no universal solution including flashing the BIOS, changing the device ID, various spoofs, changing system ID etc.
When the second monitor is turned on SystemPreferences/Displays/Arrangements recognizes the second monitor but the second monitor is blank. The most I could do is move the white bar to the second monitor but that only makes the primary monitor show what the second monitor should be showing.
So apparently there is no reliable way to use dual monitors with a hackintosh in Mojave
Is there a way to fix that or should I just go back to my nVidia and High Sierra as dual monitors are more useful for me than anything I have seen in Mojave. If going forward Hackintoshes will be increasingly crippled what's the point?

I was having the same frustration attempting to get the second monitor to work. What I noticed was that if I booted off of a UniBeast stick and select the installed Mojave 10.14.1 version, I was getting two monitors; 1 HDMI and 1 Display Port
(that's all I have plugged in at the moment). I also was attempting to use Clover_v2.4k_r4741 and iMac definition 17.2 without success. The main difference observed was the MultiBeast installation uses definition 14.2 and a lower version of Clover. The graphics card being used is a Sapphire Nitro 580+ with the switch in the EFI position (towards the back of the card). So my suggestion is to use the MultiBeast tool to install the lower version of Clover and any of the config.plist entries from the tool.

Since this an experimental build it does not match my signature. The components being used are a Gigabyte Z170X-UD5, 64 GB Ram, Intel SSD. So far I have Audio working with Lilu, AppleALC and the two toleda suggestions of a DSDT edit and a kext to patch [100/200/300 Series/Intel High Definition Audio (HDAS > HDEF)]. Sound is achieved with the Internal Speakers selected; HDMI audio out also works on the HDMI port (2nd monitor).

Still working on WiFi, Bluetooth, i211 Network (i219V works) and USB issues.

Last edited:
I changed my GPU to a GB Radeon RX 580.
The AMD drivers are pretty awful in Win 10 with erratic mouse and cursors, something that should be basic, cited as a known issue in the fine print accompanying the drivers on the AMD web site. Placing a cursor inside a word makes you feel like a reeling drunk.
Who would have imagined something so basic would be a problem in 2018?
The 580 will not support a second monitor in High Sierra or Mojave with either 2 DP or DP and HDMI cables. That seems to be a common problem regardless of the GPU OEM, many cite problems with their Sapphire version, and the many posts I see on this site have no universal solution including flashing the BIOS, changing the device ID, various spoofs, changing system ID etc.
When the second monitor is turned on SystemPreferences/Displays/Arrangements recognizes the second monitor but the second monitor is blank. The most I could do is move the white bar to the second monitor but that only makes the primary monitor show what the second monitor should be showing.
So apparently there is no reliable way to use dual monitors with a hackintosh in Mojave
Is there a way to fix that or should I just go back to my nVidia and High Sierra as dual monitors are more useful for me than anything I have seen in Mojave. If going forward Hackintoshes will be increasingly crippled what's the point?
I have a pair of RX 580s under Mojave, attached to five monitors without a problem. Do you have the WhateverGreen extension?

I have 3 monitors working on rx580 and mojave, with hdmi and dp audio. use whatevergreen kext.

2 4K@60hz working in Mojave, display ports only, WhatEverGreen is required to get that.

Thank you all.
I have WhateverGreen kext in system/library/extensions along with the lilu kext. Is that the correct place? Does the kext need to be patched?
My primary monitor is 4k and it worked at full resolution and 60 hz before I inserted the WhatEverGreen kext.

I have installed lilu/whatevergreen in/EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other and removed then from library/extensions.
Per the above suggestion I placed them in the hidden library/extensions folder where they now reside.
No change.
I have tried every port off the GPU and different cables with no result. The ports all work in Windows so this is a configuration issue in Mojave.
The best I can get is that SystemPreferences/Displays recognizes there is a second monitor but sends no data to it. In that case when the second monitor is turned on the mouse nearly freezes. If I check the option to mirror displays both go blank.
I do not know if these are related issues:
Clover, the latest version, no longer recognizes the native resolution of the 4k monitor. Clover configurator only has options for resolution that are less than 4k--Clover scaling was never an issue in any prior version of OSX going back to at least Sierra with a 4k monitor and the nVidia drivers which I have uninstalled. Additionally I have shut down problems that in HS were cleared by ticking the option in Clover Configurator to fix shutdown options--that box is still ticked but I can not shut down/reboot without the machine rebooting. Manually turning off or rebooting the computer into Windows yields the warning boxes about improper shut down at the next boot into Mojave.
I uploaded a copy of my config.plist if that will help. I am grateful for the assistance. I would really like this to work and not have to go back to High Sierra (I have a clone)/nVidia 970--my OCD has pushed me through problems from Snow Leopard to High Sierra.

Attachments

• config.plist
    6.1 KB · Views: 219
I have installed lilu/whatevergreen in/EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other and removed then from library/extensions.
Per the above suggestion I placed them in the hidden library/extensions folder where they now reside.
No change.
I have tried every port off the GPU and different cables with no result. The ports all work in Windows so this is a configuration issue in Mojave.
The best I can get is that SystemPreferences/Displays recognizes there is a second monitor but sends no data to it. In that case when the second monitor is turned on the mouse nearly freezes. If I check the option to mirror displays both go blank.
I do not know if these are related issues:
Clover, the latest version, no longer recognizes the native resolution of the 4k monitor. Clover configurator only has options for resolution that are less than 4k--Clover scaling was never an issue in any prior version of OSX going back to at least Sierra with a 4k monitor and the nVidia drivers which I have uninstalled. Additionally I have shut down problems that in HS were cleared by ticking the option in Clover Configurator to fix shutdown options--that box is still ticked but I can not shut down/reboot without the machine rebooting. Manually turning off or rebooting the computer into Windows yields the warning boxes about improper shut down at the next boot into Mojave.
I uploaded a copy of my config.plist if that will help. I am grateful for the assistance. I would really like this to work and not have to go back to High Sierra (I have a clone)/nVidia 970--my OCD has pushed me through problems from Snow Leopard to High Sierra.
the folder /Library/Extensions is not a hidden folder

config.plist InjectKexts-> should be set to Detect

all kexts you need you would install to /Library/Extensions

and keep just the essential kexts in clover/kexts/other

you will find you will have FakeSMC.kext in both places as that is an essential kext along with lilu and whatevergreen etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back