Contribute
Register

Rack unit enclosure/chassis recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Prime X299-Deluxe
CPU
i9-7900X
Graphics
Radeon VII
Does anyone have any recommendations for a good rack unit enclosure for a computer. I'm currently looking at the Supermicro SC842TQ-865. http://www.supermicro.com.tw/products/chassis/4U/842/SC842TQ-865.cfm I'd like to have the option of single or dual CPU and want to have good cooling/ventilation, though I'll be using water cooling for the CPU.

Thanks for the suggestion. Those Chenbro look really nice. Have you had any issues with cooling with them? I'm planning on using it for an an i7 3770K overclocked to 4.2 GHz, with GTX Titan, and some other PCIE cards for now, but plan on switching that out for my other existing X79 components or new X99 when they come out. I want to make sure it won't overheat.

Thanks for the suggestion. Those Chenbro look really nice. Have you had any issues with cooling with them? I'm planning on using it for an an i7 3770K overclocked to 4.2 GHz, with GTX Titan, and some other PCIE cards for now, but plan on switching that out for my other existing X79 components or new X99 when they come out. I want to make sure it won't overheat.

1U/2U use the PSU fan to pull air thru - realy need climate controlled room for them. 3U chassis you can add a couple of fans to help with air flow. If you are not pushing it hard with the OC it should be OK.

This is a very inexpensive, workhorse chassis:

Rosewill RSV-L4500 Black Metal/ Steel
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147164

[ Usually it is available with free shipping from Amazon / Newegg. ]

You can mount a lot of 3.5" drives in the front bays or replace them
with any mix of 5.25" devices (hotswap bays, optical drives, etc.)

There are quite a few fan mounts so you can make it as quiet or loud
as you want.

In general -- 1U, 2U, and 3U chassis are difficult to make work with
standard PC components. Just about anything will fit in a 4U chassis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back