Contribute
Register

R9280X - Which brand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I say in the posts I linked, a pair of 5770's is about the same speed as a single 280X, so yes, I'd get a pair of 280X cars over a pair of 5770 cards. I have a pair of Sapphire 280X cards which work very well.

There is a significant cost difference though between a pair of 5770s and a single Sapphire 280X card.

Rob

Thanks again Rob,
So a pair of these would work well then?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202099
They are not available from NewEgg but are else where for under $200 each. I have a 550 power supply, so I will need to go bigger there too if I run 2

AND, just to get this straight, 5770 run OOB. 280x need clover.

J

Thanks again Rob,
So a pair of these would work well then?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202099
They are not available from NewEgg but are else where for under $200 each. I have a 550 power supply, so I will need to go bigger there too if I run 2

AND, just to get this straight, 5770 run OOB. 280x need clover.

J

They may work, I cannot say as I have not tested them. The 280X series do work well, though some cards such as the XFX seem more troublesome.

Most 5770's run out the box with no changes. I've tried three different ones and all worked with no flags.

280X doesn't need Clover though it works very well with Clover, better than Multibeast.

You will need a bigger PSU for dual 280X GPUs. 750W is finds, though I like bigger PSU's as they run quieter.

Rob

It's best if you can get 280x with reference port layout like Gigabyte 280x Windforce.
But the ASUS cards will probably be fine too.

I have 2x Gigabyte R9 280X work very well with FCPX and it can utilised both perfectly, the background rendering very fast.

Note:
with/without the CrossFire connector doesn't make any different.

Attachments

• IMG_1820 copy.jpg
    IMG_1820 copy.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 137
Thanks to the Christmas rush hours by the USPS crew, my 2 x ASUS R280X cards turned up 3 days early.
Installed a larger PSU and both cards, one in the x16 slot and one in the x8 slot (my card doesn't have 2x16's) and fired her up.
Booted straight away with no extra commands, kexts or otherwise.
About this MAC shows Graphics AMD Radeon HD 7xxx 3072MB
I also added 2 more sticks of identical RAM and now have 16GB

Bruce X 5K test shared in 24.25 seconds (give or take the reaction time from my brain to my finger to hit the start/stop button on my iPhone)

I used the BX test from this page http://blog.alex4d.com/2013/10/30/brucex-a-new-fcpx-benchmark/

If anything looks funky or you think that I have not done something correct in my test, please let me know.
Thanks for your help and information guys, I really appreciate it.

My system specs are in my profile if you want to take a gander (look)

Cheers
J

(p.s. Merry Christmas)

Could you provide more detail on the cards please.

I'm keeping a separate thread with hardware known to work with fcpx.

What would be good is the SKU, exact model number, link to Amazon or similar so other people will know the exact model to buy. As much detail as possible us good as most vendors have lots of slightly different models.

Thanks
Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back