i9-9900K
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm building a new rig, I have all of the parts except the GPU which I am trying to decide between the ASUS R9 390 and the EVGA GTX 970. I'm really wanting to go R9 because of the larger 8GB frame buffer which seems more suitable for 4k but I've seen a lot of people having problems with those cards. Are those cards supported with 10.11.3? Here's the rest of my hardware:

Gigabyte GA-z97x-ud3h
Intel I7 4790k
32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum
Fractal R5 Define
Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1000w
Samsing 850 Pro 256GB
Intel 330 190GB SSD
OCZ Vertex 120GB SSD
2 WD Black 2TB Drives

Thanks for any thoughts/suggestions!

Ok good advice. Are there certain models that are a better bet than others? MSI, PowerColor etc?

I'm really leaning towards just ordering the Gigabyte GTX970 G1 Gaming but I feel like if I could get the 390 working relatively painlessly it could be worth having the extra 4gb since I'm at 4k.

Ok good advice. Are there certain models that are a better bet than others? MSI, PowerColor etc?

I'm really leaning towards just ordering the Gigabyte GTX970 G1 Gaming but I feel like if I could get the 390 working relatively painlessly it could be worth having the extra 4gb since I'm at 4k.

Hi lanopticx, I know this is an old thread but I'm on a budget and I'm about to replace my GPU with an used one, and I came to the same two models you were thinking about here: R9 390 or GTX 970 G1 Gaming, because of the extra VRAM.

I see in your profile you chose the Nvidia one, do you recommend it? I've a person selling one of those and seems to be quite powerful. I'll mainly use it for 3D design (using Blender and SketchUp, just in case you use them too and have some advice). I use Sierra and will stay with it (I have High Sierra on my Macbook and I hate it, specially the photos app, so I won't update)

Hi lanopticx, I know this is an old thread but I'm on a budget and I'm about to replace my GPU with an used one, and I came to the same two models you were thinking about here: R9 390 or GTX 970 G1 Gaming, because of the extra VRAM.

I see in your profile you chose the Nvidia one, do you recommend it? I've a person selling one of those and seems to be quite powerful. I'll mainly use it for 3D design (using Blender and SketchUp, just in case you use them too and have some advice). I use Sierra and will stay with it (I have High Sierra on my Macbook and I hate it, specially the photos app, so I won't update)

Sorry, just saw your post. Yeah, the nVidia card is great, I'd recommend it as I've had 0 issues and it's honestly more power than I probably even need (I don't really game) but when I bought it, Doom had just came out and it ran that game with flying colors, high settings, AA etc etc.

I don't know much about the R9 390 though in comparison, it may be a better card depending on what you need. But in regards to a Hackintosh build, the 970 was painless.

Sorry, just saw your post. Yeah, the nVidia card is great, I'd recommend it as I've had 0 issues and it's honestly more power than I probably even need (I don't really game) but when I bought it, Doom had just came out and it ran that game with flying colors, high settings, AA etc etc.

I don't know much about the R9 390 though in comparison, it may be a better card depending on what you need. But in regards to a Hackintosh build, the 970 was painless.

Thank you very much for your answer! I really appreciate it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back