Contribute
Register

R9 290X, Yosemite, and Dual Displays

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone? I am looking at purchasing this card if it works 100%.

I think the video is basically showing how to enable igfx and the r9 so the r9 is still only powering one monitor and the internal graphics is powering the other.

I have read that just having the igfx turned on in BIOS can sometimes let the 290x use more than one monitor. Could someone please try this?

I can confirm with my build, this works flawlessly. After numerous searches across the internet this is how to do it. This is how I did it:

First of all, I'm using Clover and install Yosemite using Clover.

1) First, you need to go to your BIOS and select iGFX as your display output.
2) When you boot up to the Clover bootloader, go to Options > Graphics Injector Menu and then change the FBName to: Hawaii (this is for the R9 290X, I believe if you know the CPU name, type in the name in the input).
3) Disconnect the second monitor if you have it connected, this caused me to crash at start-up.
4) When Yosemite is booted up, go up to the Apple Menu and then "About this Mac".
5) Go to "Display" and then reconnect the second monitor. (I've used DVI on the first monitor and on this step, I reconnected the second DVI port to another monitor).
6) Hey presto, this should have your dual screens.

Here is my build that works perfectly on Mac OSX Yosemite 10.10:

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770k
GPU: XFX R9 290X / 4GB RAM DDR5
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H
(Watercooled as well ;D)

Does this work for two 290x in Crossfire? I'll be doing Crossfire or SLI for triple-monitor 5760x1080 in Windows, and need to ensure I can still work with multi-monitor and use GPU hardware acceleration in Photoshop and in general use.

I was strongly leaning toward the GTX 970s, but I'm worried about their ability to handle high VRAM requirements of upcoming titles at high resolutions. And with the 290X in Crossfire, performance will be about equal if not higher in some games (and of course less in some), and likely I can get that setup for cheaper than 970 SLI.

I can confirm with my build, this works flawlessly. After numerous searches across the internet this is how to do it. This is how I did it:

First of all, I'm using Clover and install Yosemite using Clover.

1) First, you need to go to your BIOS and select iGFX as your display output.
2) When you boot up to the Clover bootloader, go to Options > Graphics Injector Menu and then change the FBName to: Hawaii (this is for the R9 290X, I believe if you know the CPU name, type in the name in the input).
3) Disconnect the second monitor if you have it connected, this caused me to crash at start-up.
4) When Yosemite is booted up, go up to the Apple Menu and then "About this Mac".
5) Go to "Display" and then reconnect the second monitor. (I've used DVI on the first monitor and on this step, I reconnected the second DVI port to another monitor).
6) Hey presto, this should have your dual screens.

Here is my build that works perfectly on Mac OSX Yosemite 10.10:

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770k
GPU: XFX R9 290X / 4GB RAM DDR5
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H
(Watercooled as well ;D)

I have tried this, with no effect. I have tried just about everything so get dual monitors to work. but i can't seem to get it working. for me it looks like a problem with framebuffer or something, because when i boot the machine with 1 screen pluged in it turns black at login screen before it can sync up correctly... furthermore i have what looks like full hardware acceleration and get good results from testing it preformancewise. i'm just about to put in a extra GPU in there just to get dual display to work, wich is not the solution i want at all..

Can you explain in details hos you've set up your rig? Clover config etc.

my rig:
Gigabyte G1 Sniper micro-atx
Xeon E3, 3.5 GHz
32 GB 1600 MHz RAM
AMD Radeon R9 290X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back