i5-750
Graphics
GTX 670
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey everyone,

After a long time, a version of OS X has come out that supports the R9 290x, however, I would like to have my second monitor work without my system going to a black screen.

Anyone have any ideas?

Hey everyone,

After a long time, a version of OS X has come out that supports the R9 290x, however, I would like to have my second monitor work without my system going to a black screen.

Anyone have any ideas?
Seems like people with GTX 980s are also having the Dual Monitor problem. I work around was enabling iGPU as primary and then OS X would switch over to the GTX 980 but also use my HD 4000.

Primary screen = GTX 980
Secondary screen = HD 4000

4186763480.png

I could not get my system to play nice with the intell GPU. However, I had a spare GTX 670 and just put that in my system. Now have a fully working second monitor and Windows is also working as it did before as well.

Not the solution I wanted, but it works nonetheless.

I tested the drivers extracted from the 10.10 beta that Netkas provided a few months ago with Mavericks, and now with ones provided directly with Yosemite (on Yosemite naturally)

In neither case was the R9 290x working with multiple displays - any attempt at connecting a 2nd monitor either to the onboard HD4000, a 2nd video card, the 290x itself or even with something like Splashtop results in a kernel panic.
I have tried many things to get this to work and scoured the Internet for hacks but as far as I know, there is no working solution available at this time.

I found that it does work with a single display for the most part and was able to run accelerated 3D games and such quite well but there were a few small issues. The "arabesque" screen saver would corrupt the video and ultimately lock the system up and there were issues with editing pictures in iPhoto which caused periodic lockups due to the card as well.

My understanding is the problem is related to the frame buffer and I was unsuccessful at getting the driver to use anything but the generic AtiRadeon buffers.

I ended up swapping the card out so I could run multiple screens for the time being.

DisplayPort-to-HDMI worked once to enable dual monitors on my 290x, but cannot reproduce ><

Can you confirm that following the YouTube video the card becomes fully active? All ports functioning? Is hdmi audio another patch or is that native? (Think these cards have a built in audio chip?)

thanks,

Will

I have dual displays working on my ASUS R9 290x. First off I will point out that clover is the only way to go for installing Yosemite. Second when you have it installed follow this video to fix it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFCjB59OAgQ

Hope this helps!!!!

I do also have this problem where connecting the second DVI Single Link cable to the second DVI port on the R9 290X results in a black unresponsive screen. Everything works perfect bar the multi monitor support, which I'm fine with but not practical.

I installed Yosemite using Clover but booting from UniBeast / MultiBeast.

I will be backing up my Mac to see if the YouTube video fixes multi monitor support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back