Contribute
Register

R9 280X problems (sapphire and asus)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're totally right, I do have a time machine backup of the RAID0, it was just a first economical solution when I first built my hackintosh, I'm slowly improving the system.

I don't know yet if it will be useful to restore a RAID0 again (a clear one, erasing the old) to store big Gb media and projects.

I would take a backup of any data from your RAID 0 system. If I had a Raid-0 system I would be running backups every 15 mins as once any of your disks go, you've lost the lot. Anyway always assume you will lose your RAID, then if you do restore from backup and nothing lost :) RAID0 is only good for performance and I would use SSD for that and the spinning rust for backup purposes.

Since your RAID is handled by software on the Mac, the change in BIOS should make zero difference, how could it? The Mac OS X handles all the IO. However I have never imported a RAID into a new Yosemite install (or any other install) so can't comment how easy it is. Given your expected failure rate is twice normal as you have two disks, you really, really should be taking a backup ASAP.

Rob
Here I am after purchasing a gigabyte r9 280x

i did a yosemite fresh install, did the EFI trick but I have some issues.

First of all the system sometimes goes to kernel panic at boot(apple logo loading), but it never panic if i flag -v. I'm thinking of the multibeast 1080 boot flag being the responsable of it... anyway, is a minor problem right now, as i can enter the system with graphics and monitor from the 280x.
I tested the Luxmark benchmark and the result for the first scene is 12094, while the third and most complex is 19!
Something is going tremendously wrong.

My mobo is a Gigabyte GA Z87X UD3H with i7 4770 non K... mutibeast configuration is set on mac pro 3.1
Here's my last Multibeast config.
Screen Shot 2015-03-01 at 12.39.38 AM.png

Any idea about what I'm doing wrong?
Thank you very much.

I still get the occasional KP on starting up my system. Its about 1 in 10. After it starts, I very occasionally get a freeze within the first few minutes but after then it carries on working. Since I rarely turn off my Mac this is not a problem. I suspect the freezes/KP are more to do with the MacPro 3,1 definition over the iMac14,2 definition. I don't think the 1080 mode has anything to do with it at all.

I haven't run the Luxmark benchmark, but a quick scan of their website says the complex scene shows that a 7970 should have a score of around 2,900. So 19 doesn't look good.

1. Have you turned off the integrated graphics card on the MB?

2. I never got the plugins to work properly with my 280X's. The monitors hung most of the time on boot up so I never bothered installing them. You have different 280x so they *may* work for you. I don't see any value in using them to be honest, so the loss of them to me was neither here nor there. May be worth removing them as they could be forcing the system to slow down as they are reporting the wrong values. Thats just a wild guess though.

Thats the only things I can think off.

I installed this configuration with MB, moved the EXTRA folder to EFI partition, starts from SSD with no flags...it seems smooth and good but still no good results on the hardest Luxmark benchmark....weird.

What do you think about setting the system definition to iMac 15.1(retina)?

I don't have a retina display, of course, only a humble 1980x1200 DELL monitor but...isn't the r9 280x more similar to the r9 m290x of the retina iMac than the nvidia one mounted on 14.1 iMac? (at least according to everymac site)

Anyhow, this thing is getting better and better! Love my new 280x:headbang:

You can change it to 15,1 but suspect it will not work. the m290x is NOT the same as the 290 or the 280. Its as special mobile version.

So long as you know how to boot from the USB to boot into your Hack to be able to change the system defn back, you should be fine. You have saved all your work and configuration though?

I tried the Lexmark benchmark and it crashed on the second and third benchmark so gave up.

I downloaded the Unigine benchmark and ran that (https://unigine.com/products/heaven/download/)

With the default benchmark settings

Screen Shot 2015-03-04 at 08.53.12.png

I get

Screen Shot 2015-03-04 at 08.58.29.png

No idea if this is good or bad. Not really bothered either way. The first time I ran it, I had the internal graphics card turned on by mistake and that dropped the score down to around 1480.

Does triple monitor work on the Sapphire card?

Z87X-Ud5H F10c
I7 4770K @4300
Asus 280X Direct Cu II

No problem. Works OOB. with three monitor.

For not wait the black screen in the start I had put the boot in the EFI. And I put IGFX Disable...

Looking for info about to extract the capacitor F17 to get 5 gb/s.

Looking for info about to extract the capacitor F17 to get 5 gb/s.

No need to do that when used in a hackintosh, the card will run at the full PCIe speed of your mainboard automatically. Only real MacPros need the resistor mod.

Hi,

My first build, running fine with MultiBeast 8.0 and IGFX.
I was given a Sapphire Radeon R9 280x 3G GDDR5 PCI-E DL-DV-I+SL-DVI-D/HDMI/DUAL MINI DP (UEFI).
Is there any way to make it work without re-install?

Here is what i tried so far:

-install it on my mobo

-reboot = no video signal on any video output but IGFX, no GPU but IGFX in system report

-in BIOS set Initial Display Output to PCIe 1 = no signal on any video output but IGFX, just IGFX in system report

-in BIOS set Intel Processor Graphics to Disabled = no video signal at all = CMOS reset..

Excuse my English and stupid questions as I am new here:oops:..

Any help appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back