Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS MAXIMUS GENE VIII
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
GTX 1080 8GB
Hello,

I have a big problem, I have build a Hackintosh with a graphics card Asus Maximus VIII Gene + I7 6700K + 48GB RAM DDR 4 2400MHZ + Radeon Sapphire R9 280X 3GB Ram.

I build this Hackintosh only for video editing on FCPX, and I was told that the best graphics card was the 280X, everything works but FCPX is super slow, 1 MIN of video converts me in 4 min, Same video with my macbook pro that but 1 min.

Where is the problem? I heard that it was necessary to flasher the bios of the graphics card, that it is the rom?

Hello,

I have a big problem, I have build a Hackintosh with a graphics card Asus Maximus VIII Gene + I7 6700K + 48GB RAM DDR 4 2400MHZ + Radeon Sapphire R9 280X 3GB Ram.

I build this Hackintosh only for video editing on FCPX, and I was told that the best graphics card was the 280X, everything works but FCPX is super slow, 1 MIN of video converts me in 4 min, Same video with my macbook pro that but 1 min.

Where is the problem? I heard that it was necessary to flasher the bios of the graphics card, that it is the rom?

How do you know it's your graphics card? I have two of these and they work very, very well.

You should not need to reflash them.

I asked a number of questions in the thread you originally raised this in. It would be helpful to get answers to them. It's difficult to help when there's do little information.

Brucex crash in FCPX

I already disabled it (IGPU), but still this problem.

@fransali,

You are not providing any information to help us help you.

I know that the AMD 280X cards work very well with a Z98X and a Z87X motherboard. I have two of them and have written extensively on them and how they work on this forum. I certainly do not class myself as the expert on this subject, but I do my best to help as other people have helped me in the past.

We don't know what you have installed, how you installed it, what your configuration is, what error message you got when FCPX crashed, what exactly were you rendering, what OS you installed. The list of things that could help us help you goes on and on but you seem very reluctant to provide any of it.

The people who get the best response and help are those who make things as easy as possible, they provide clear a summary of what they have done, they post simple concise error logs, they try to anticipate the information that might help the responder.

If I summarised what you have told us,

You think the 280X graphics card is slow using FCPX based on no evidence. You also have stated that the BruceX benchmark crashes, but with no error logs. We know nothing else about what you have done.

I'm backing out of this until I can see that you are prepared to spend some time doing some legwork to actually provide proper information.

I wish you the best of luck

Rob

Thank you for your help, I understand why you say that I provide no information, yet in my first message I wrote well Asus Maximus VIII Gene + I7 6700K + 48GB RAM DDR 4 2400MHZ + Radeon Sapphire R9 280X 3GB Ram. If you want to know my OS it is 10.12.5

The problem is not the crash in bruces is that the export of fcpx is really slow, I also tried with an X87 motherboard it is still as slow.

1 min of video in H264 in encoding apple format 1080P this but 4 min.

Hi @fransali, did you manage to solve the problem?

I have a AMD R9 270X and have been noticing extremely long render times in FCP as well.

If you’ve got an R9 280X properly configured in Clover, you’ve disabled the Intel HD GPU in BIOS, and you’re running FCPX 10.3.4, you should be seeing BruceX benchmarks of 15 seconds or less, and extremely fast rendering of all Open_CL jobs (be aware that some plug-ins lean more on the CPU than the GPU). If you’re seeing slow rendering and/or BruceX crashes, something’s wrong.

First thing I would check is the power connectors on the 280X. Unplug them and firmly reseat them again, and see if that fixes the BruceX crashing issue. BruceX pins the processing as it begins, and if your power connections are even slightly intermittent, your card simply starves when the current draw shoots up.

If that doesn’t solve your problem, look at how Clover is set up to handle the 280X. For my system, I get the best and most stable performance by NOT ticking the “Inject ATI” box in Clover’s Graphics section. Just run the 280X OOB/vanilla, without any injection or DSDT/SSDT edits - it’ll show up as “79xx” in About This Mac but you’ll get the best performance this GPU is capable of under OS X. At least for Open_CL, which is what FCPX 10.3.4 is all about.

And yes, I said OS X, not macOS. I’m staying at El Capitan and FCPX 10.3.4 for now. Sierra, High Sierra, and especially FCPX 10.4 all slow down the 280X, especially when it comes to Final Cut. On my system BruceX finishes in under 15 seconds on FCPX 10.3.4/El Capitan, and takes over twice that time on FCPX 10.4/High Sierra. Since FCPX is what I mostly built this rig for, I’ll stick with the OS and FCPX rev that works best for what I do.

Why do High Sierra and FCPX 10.4 slow down rendering so dramatically? I suspect that both are optimized for Metal rendering rather than Open_CL like El Capitan and FCPX 10.3.4 are, and GPUs like the 280X don’t perform as well for Metal as they do for Open_CL. Just a theory. I’d love to be proven wrong and shown a simple Clover setting that gets my 280X working as well under HS/10.4 as it does with El Cap/10.3.4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back