i5-10500
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
For everyone still using Windows 7 who plans on keeping it running after the end of extended support.

Read this article from PCMag.com

For everyone still using Windows 7 who plans on keeping it running after the end of extended support.

Read this article from PCMag.com

It's ironic that Windows 7 might possibly be the favourite iteration of many users. I can see why, a breath of fresh air after Vista and not as "clever" and Metro as Windows 8 tried to be.

I haven't checked but wonder how long Google Chrome will continue to support it. An old laptop we have here still runs Windows XP and Chrome as it's browser. I've seen messages that big-G has stopped support for XP for sure, but that was relatively recently (IIRC).

I've seen messages that big-G has stopped support for XP for sure, but that was relatively recently (IIRC).
It was over three years ago in April 2016. So they kept supporting it two years after Microsoft stopped patching XP. Even if Chrome still supports Win7 there are going to be major security gaps in the 7 OS itself. For home users that surf the internet it's best to upgrade to 10 or just use 7 disconnected from the internet altogether. Best solution for the hopelessly fixated on Win7 people. Another option might be to run 7 in a VM on a Win10 machine but even that is not completely secure either.

Last edited:
Ransomware is going to continue to be major problem in the 2020s. Especially for Win7 users. If you are using 10 and the built in Windows Defender it's quite easy to prevent your files from being encrypted by ransomware.
Screen Shot 29.jpg
Screen Shot 30.jpg

Why Microsoft doesn't have this turned on by default I have no idea. They have users opted in for everything that allows them to track what you do and send you targeted ads but leave this turned off by default. :think:

Continuing to run Win7 is like a Mac owner still using Snow Leopard. That also came out in 2009. The most recent Catalina has so much better security you'd be crazy to keep using SL connected to the internet for anything like banking, shopping online etc. The advantage SL has is that it's not targeted as heavily as Win7 because so few people use SL anymore. I often see people with older 2007-09 iMacs that still run Snow Leopard. The machines have kept working but they never bothered to upgrade the OS. So I usually upgrade them to Mavericks first then Sierra or High Sierra, depending on which one their iMac can run. Most of these iMacs have 4GB of ram and a 5400 RPM mechanical drive so they are really slow but at least they're now running a supported browser and have better built in security.

Last edited:
I still have my Win7 Ultimate on the 10k rpm WD drive for use in the X58A build, but the only thing I use it for is to play the games MS left out of Win10. It never sees the net unless I deliberately leave it connected to check for updates. Eventually I will have to stop using it if something dies since I cannot go past Mojave with the MacPro5 system definition. Main driver is the X99M Killer with Win10 installed on the NVMe drive and HS / Mojave / Catalina on Samsung 850 Pro SSDs. OTOH, now I am retired, the Win10 probably will not see as much use as before.

RIP? Not for me. I shall still continue to use Windows 7 (in virtual machines and on various older computers) after January 2020 if necessary. No support from Microsoft? So what?

I still run Windows XP using virtual machines occasionally to play old games. I know exactly what I am doing and will continue to use unsupported OS, Mac or Windows, if I need to.

RIP? Not for me. I shall still continue to use Windows 7 (in virtual machines and on various older computers) after January 2020 if necessary. No support from Microsoft? So what?

I still run Windows XP using virtual machines occasionally to play old games. I know exactly what I am doing and will continue to use unsupported OS, Mac or Windows, if I need to.

Same here. I like Windows 7 better for games. I don't go to pirate or nefarious sites where they have malwares nor download anything from untrusted sites. Windows 10 is just way too bloated with frequent forced updates. I understand forced updates are good for businesses for security reason but for home users... meh.

Ransomware is going to continue to be major problem in the 2020s. Especially for Win7 users. If you are using 10 and the built in Windows Defender it's quite easy to prevent your files from being encrypted by ransomware.
View attachment 436357View attachment 436358

Why Microsoft doesn't have this turned on by default I have no idea. They have users opted in for everything that allows them to track what you do and send you targeted ads but leave this turned off by default. :think:

Why is it not turned on?

Howdy folks no time no speak,

I will carry on using Windows 7 in a VM on my business machine but i will most likely move it to linux but run 7 on VM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back