2x Radeon R9-290X
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Greetings all,

Long story short, my ATI R290X cards (I have two) are not working with 10.12 so I am looking for a pair of decent NVidia cards that are quiet and less than $120/ea. I picked up a pair of PNY 730 cards at BestBuy today for $60/ea. They worked great out of the box but are way too loud. I am willing to spend a few dollars more to get good silent cards.

Background: I have a Gigabyte X99-UD4 with a 5960X CPU, 32G RAM, and a 1TB SSD running MacOS Sierra (works great!). I use it to run virtual machines, some office productivity, and produce pod casts. After getting the ATI cards, I realized I don't need high-end cards for what I do - just some solid (quiet) cards to do normal desktop chores.

Any suggestions?

Thing is just to get a good quiet cooler on the GPU. I've had a good experience from Asus Strix/DirectCU cards, even though my current GTX 760 I've tried a R9 280X and GtX 980 on El Capitan that worked great, all Asus cards. I think they were the first major company to focus on high performance GPUs with emphasis on silence, but many new cards today have the completely silent when idle feature that the Strix series brought, but I know for sure Gigabyte do it as well now.

Most 900 series cards are semi passive so they will be silent unless under load. They will not work OOB like the 730's though as they require the Nvidia Web Driver.

Thanks. I pulled the trigger for this - EVGA GeForce GTX 750Ti SC 2GB GDDR5 for $110. Hope it works!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back