Graphics
GeForce 210
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Anyone have any suggestions for a quiet cooler that doesn't require a bracket to be installed?

1155. Sorry :mrgreen:

I still do not understand what you are looking for.

There is a two part thermal compound that was used to glue heat sinks to devices. I have not see this used sense the P4 days.

neil

You know how most aftermarket CPU coolers have the extra stabilization bracket that goes along the underside of your motherboard? I'd like something that doesn't require that, but is still quieter than the stock Intel cooler.

I'm planning on upgrading to a 3770 this summer and figure it might be a good time to replace the cooler while I'm at it.

Kapaaian said:
You know how most aftermarket CPU coolers have the extra stabilization bracket that goes along the underside of your motherboard? I'd like something that doesn't require that, but is still quieter than the stock Intel cooler.
Why? Coolers with the underside backplate gives less stress to the board from warping and bending. It's held more securely and evenly. And allows you to install big heatsinks. That's a good thing.

I always worry with the small stock coolers that one of the legs would pop out, and eventually the heatsinks lose contact with the chip.

Also the fan blows downward, and the heat goes where? around the chip all over the motherboard.

It also has a smaller diameter fan. Small fan diameter = more noise.
Quiet = big heatsink + big fan (spinning slower)

Re: Quiet Cooler, but small.

I really don't want a large heat sink (it sounds like many of those often have issues with impeding on ram slots and I do use all four). So I'll revise my question to a small quiet cpu cooler (on par with the size of the stock ones), brackets fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back