Classic Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Performa
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hi all,

this may not be the most sophisticated mod, as I've seen some great work in this forum so far, its merely a budget project for the sake of tinkering around.
I just wanted to post mine to say thank you to the many helpful posts and guides here, and in the first place for the initial idea when I came across this site.
I'm using Macs for years, and as I'm always up for a little challenge, I made my first experience with Hackintosh in 2009, when buying a Dell Mini 10v and installing Leopard on it. In the meantime it runs Linux again.
Some weeks ago, a friend brought 3 Powermacs (a G3 b/w and two Quicksilvers) from the office, which she had saved from the garbage press. One of the QS was dead, but I thought it would be a shame to throw it away. By accident I stumbled in here, and so I decided to give it a try. As I do not really need another PC, I looked for some equipment that is not quite brand new, but would do the job:

GIGABYTE - GA-G41M-Combo - (rev. 1.3)
Core2 Quad Q9400
8GB DDR3 RAM Kingston (1333MHz)
ASUS EN210 Silent DI 1GD3/V2 1024MB DDR3 64bit PCI (choose that because its fanless)
PSU Corsair CX430
SanDisk SSD 256GB (which I already owned)

For WIFI I use an Edimax USB dongle right now, but this will be changed to an Atheros AR5BXB112 from an iMac I found on ebay, because I want to have the native OS support. I use a D-Link DBT-120 for Bluetooth. Both USB devices were also already owned.

Of course I converted the power switch like shown by minihack:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/powermac-g4/50729-g4-quicksilver-switch.html

I have Mavericks running on the machine, it works well and so far, everything seems to work fine. Had some troubles with the GPU first, so I did the install using the mobo internal VGA port and setting up the ASUS 210 card later, using the DSDT from here:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/hdmi-audi...s-hdmi-audio-asus-nvidia-geforce-210-a-2.html

Next steps to do:
Make a backplate that fits (just a simple cutout in the moment)
Install a more quiet CPU fan ;-)
Install iMac WIFI card with internal antennas (I don't want to have an appendix hanging form the tail of the PC :problem: )
Maybe install a slot-in DVD drive (I don't need one, but maybe I'll sell this PC to build the next one ...)
Install linux additional to OS X :cool:

Attachments

• CustoPowerMac_6.jpg
    CustoPowerMac_6.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 406
  • CustoPowerMac_8.jpg
    CustoPowerMac_8.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 400
  • CustoPowerMac_10.jpg
    CustoPowerMac_10.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 384
  • CustoPowerMac_11.jpg
    CustoPowerMac_11.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 482
heya hows it goin. "Recycling" got my attention :thumbup:

clean looking build you got going there.

Yeah thanks! Still work in progress, wifi card and Slot-in DVD drive is in shipment, from next week I have some days off, so I will use my dads workshop to make the backplate and a backet for installing the dvd drive.
For cleanliness I will have to arrange cables a bit more nicely when all the components are in place finally.

could i be cheeky and ask you for a measurement of your front plastic panel. just the width and height would do it . :D please

You mean the part where switch and speaker sits? Its 185mm wide and 355mm in height. But not easily measured, as it is not a plain peace of plastic ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back