Contribute
Register

Quicklook Doesn't Preview jpgs, mp3 nor mp4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
@ekohn00 here is my efi where everything works. Note this works for my system so your milage may vary.

Thanks for your config.plist. I've changed mine (laptop) to MacPro6,1 and Board-ID as yours. Works like a charm, still recognized as a MacBook Pro in About This Mac.

FYI: my laptop IGPU (HD4600) is disabled by default, impossible to turn it on.

How i solved it (after migrating from high sierra); Deleted whatevergreen. Changed my smbios from imac 18,3 to macpro 6,1.
Disabled the iGPU in my bios. The sapphire rx580 is now working native with DP ports enabled. Hardware encoding/decoding works in FCPX and Quicktime. Preview and Quicklook are also working, with every filetype.

Thanks for the steps you took.

Had problems with my update to the full release Mojave, with Quicklook and Preview not loading JPGs. In fact Preview locked-up.

Removing WEG and changing the system definition to MacPro6,1 (Intel iGPU already set to "Auto" in BIOS so basically "Off" once a GPU is detected), solved the problem.

A tortuous way to get it working, but thanks for the pointers :thumbup:

Thanks for the steps you took.

Had problems with my update to the full release Mojave, with Quicklook and Preview not loading JPGs. In fact Preview locked-up.

Removing WEG and changing the system definition to MacPro6,1 (Intel iGPU already set to "Auto" in BIOS so basically "Off" once a GPU is detected), solved the problem.

A tortuous way to get it working, but thanks for the pointers :thumbup:

Thanky you, my pleasure. Great to hear everything is working ok. :D

How i solved it (after migrating from high sierra); Deleted whatevergreen. Changed my smbios from imac 18,3 to macpro 6,1.
Disabled the iGPU in my bios. The sapphire rx580 is now working native with DP ports enabled. Hardware encoding/decoding works in FCPX and Quicktime. Preview and Quicklook are also working, with every filetype.
There is a list of Board-IDs in /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AppleVPA.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Info.plist that enable or not JPEG hardware decoding.

I had the same issue. No jpegs or mp3s in "Preview" after the Mojave upgrade. I followed the tip to change my SMBIOS to 6,1 which promptly killed "Messages" for me (no thank you). I'm now on SMBIOS imacpro1,1 and Preview, Quicklook, Sleep, Messages and everything else seems to be working. Luckily the 2x SMBIOS changes didn't blacklist my serial #. Beware SMBIOS 6,1 if you value "Messages"...

Last edited:
I had the same issue. No jpegs or mp3s in "Preview" after the Mojave upgrade. I followed the tip to change my SMBIOS to 6,1 which promptly killed "Messages" for me (no thank you). I'm now on SMBIOS imacpro1,1 and Preview, Quicklook, Sleep, Messages and everything else seems to be working. Luckily the 2x SMBIOS changes didn't blacklist my serial #. Beware SMBIOS 6,1 if you value "Messages"...

@Lensjocky I have almost the same config as you (gaming 5 instead of 7), no problems with messages at all.

There is a list of Board-IDs in /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AppleVPA.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Info.plist that enable or not JPEG hardware decoding.
@vulgo could you explain the importance of board-ids in this file? what does it mean if my board id is not listed?

@vulgo could you explain the importance of board-ids in this file? what does it mean if my board id is not listed?
It just means you can change the board id to one that doesn't support hardware jpeg instead of changing your product name.

In other developments I modified TheRacerMaster's NoTouchID to disable this feature regardless of product/board ids. You can download the Lilu plugin here. Credits to the original author.

Last edited:

No problems here for messages on 6,1 everything working fine with what looks like exact same setup as you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back