Contribute
Register

Quicklook Doesn't Preview jpgs, mp3 nor mp4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed my SMbios to Mac pro 6,1 because the real version was a rock solid system just a bit dated for Video. Seems like so far it has fixed a lot of stuff overall. Jpgs open in Preview app, all DP and HDMI work along with their audio function. Best of all they are working without whatevergreen! Safari still runs slow still but Chrome works just fine. @ekohn00 "Directtv now" works in safari also! Not sure if it works without Shiki I but I am using the last one made before they were combine.

@scottkendall thanks for the post. I was gave 6,1 a try hoping to fix a couple of problems.

I have an i7-8700K and run SMBIO as 18,3
DirecTVnow is working on 18,3 and 6,1

JPG cause preview to hang, so I've been using safari to show JPG. (on 6,1 preview would work for me but still can't get 18,3 to work)

I also have a problem where going into System Preferences -> Desktop & screen Saver, would freezings the entire system (need to reboot and close preferences to go back to normal.). this is happening on 6,1 or 18,3

todays Mojave updates have no change.

@scottkendall

I also have a problem where going into System Preferences -> Desktop & screen Saver, would freezings the entire system (need to reboot and close preferences to go back to normal.). this is happening on 6,1 or 18,3

todays Mojave updates have no change.

Did you migrate your user profile from another Mac or another install? When I did that at the start I was having this freeze that you are speaking of, I made a new user and that issue went away. Try making a new user profile either way and see if you still have the issue with desktop & screen saver freezing your system.

thanks @scottkendall
I just logged in as a guest user and no freeze when changing the desktop. Just another odd thing to tinker with......
FWIW....I didn't migrate my main user....so it's puzzling.

thanks @scottkendall

FWIW....I didn't migrate my main user....so it's puzzling.

No Idea I only could tell you that I had that issue and I assumed it was caused by migrating apps and my user profile. It maybe caused by something entirely different.

The issue has something to do with SMBIOS data, haven't narrowed it completely down yet but I was using a MacPro6,1 and now iMacPro 1,1 SMBIOS and everything is working fine. Still looking into what SMBIOS data is messing things up, possibly firmware features, firmware feature masks, Platform feature.

Could it be that the Mac Pro 6,1 and the IMacPro 1,1 do not use Igpu because the Xeon does not have an Igpu? I have seen some people say that preview was fixed when they enabled Igpu.

Last edited:
It seems this may not just be just a beta bug, as it has yet to be resolved after 5 public betas. For the experts out there, has Apple changed the drivers or something in Mojave because we didn't have this issue in High Sierra. I tried sys def of Mac Pro 6,1 and it does fix the issues we have been having. I did this with no internet connection to avoid issues with the Apple ID. I don't want to get locked out by Apple.

It seems this may not just be just a beta bug, as it has yet to be resolved after 5 public betas. For the experts out there, has Apple changed the drivers or something in Mojave because we didn't have this issue in High Sierra. I tried sys def of Mac Pro 6,1 and it does fix the issues we have been having. I did this with no internet connection to avoid issues with the Apple ID. I don't want to get locked out by Apple.

They kind of made two changes to the drivers in Mojave, in that some of the older iGPU will no longer provide accellaration because they do not support Metal. The second change is not really apple but the way clover injects the iGPU has changed so your IGPU could not be functioning. For some people the easy fix was to enable iGPU like the real iMac, for other changing the SM to 6,1 will fix the issue because the Xeon does not have an iGPU. In this configuration I get Hardware encode/decoding on H264 but not on HEVC but am ok with that since that is not what I use my system for. Maybe you need to fix the injection of your iGPU to get preview working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back