Contribute
Register

Quicklook Doesn't Preview jpgs, mp3 nor mp4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
In terms of power consumption, you should always enable the IGPU, let the IGPU doing the multimedia jobs, like hardware H.264/HEVC decoding.

for example, one of my setup
Z77N, E3-1225 v2 with P4000 IGPU, 120GB SSD x1

System power consumption (not include the monitor)
System in idle ~ 32W
1080p H.264 video playback (with IGPU hardware video decoding), ~ 35 - 39W, depends on the video bit-rates
1080p H.264 video playback (without IGPU hardware video decoding, i.e. CPU software decoding), ~ 50W+

Thanks. That's good information. :thumbup:

:)

This solution worked for me, hopefully it helps more people as well. All I had to do was enter the bios settings and change CPU graphics multi-monitor setting from disabled to enabled.

Attachments

• bios.jpg
    bios.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 97
I have been testing my Z370 system without WhateverGreen the last two days. I currently have everything working with the following:
  • No config.plist > Device > Properties entries related to IGPU.
  • No config.plist > Graphics > Inject Intel.
  • No config.plist > Graphics > RadeonDeInit.
  • No WhateverGreen.
  • GFX0 to IGPU rename.
  • PEGP to GFX0 rename.
  • 128MB assigned to IGPU in BIOS.
I'm on Mojave and haven't tested this in High Sierra (I already upgraded all my drives).

Also, previously, when I was injecting IGPU via config.plist > Devices > Properties, I was using 3E9B0007 because this was the only "desktop" id I found listed in this post. Is 3E920003 more appropriate?

@pastrychef could you let me know the hex find and replace for theGFX0 and PEG0 renames? thanks.

@pastrychef could you let me know the hex find and replace for theGFX0 and PEG0 renames? thanks.

Are you sure your motherboard sets your dGPU to PEG0? Check in IORegistryExplorer first. I think most of the time, PEGP to GFX0 is the case for Z370.

Here's GFX0 to IGPU:
Comment: change GFX0 to IGPU:
Find: 47465830
Replace: 49475055

Here's PEGP to GFX0:
Comment: change PEGP to GFX0
Find: 50454750
Replace: 47465830

Here's PEG0 to GFX0:
Commend ; change PEG0 to GFX0
Find: 50454730

Solved:
After playing around with various solutions as I run dual monitor. I plugged one into IGPU slot and left other in RX580, set Primary GPU to internal, set Igpu to enabled and injected intel in config. IGPUs monitor worked but Lost my RX580 Pulse but regained preview working properly. Then set igpu to auto plugged both monitors back into RX580 but it would not display boot screens or clover boot screen. When it finished boot up ( i have clover to boot default drive after 3 sec) Only RX 580 showed display. Preview still worked. Set primary GPU back to pcie, plugged both monitors into RX580 and all works. Final settings are igpu to auto, primary GPUs pcie (RX580) and inject intel in config.

Gigabyte Z170x-ud5 th, i7-6700K, Sapphire RX580 Pulse

Are you sure your motherboard sets your dGPU to PEG0? Check in IORegistryExplorer first. I think most of the time, PEGP to GFX0 is the case for Z370.

Here's GFX0 to IGPU:
Comment: change GFX0 to IGPU:
Find: 47465830
Replace: 49475055

Here's PEGP to GFX0:
Comment: change PEGP to GFX0
Find: 50454750

Here's PEG0 to GFX0:
Commend ; change PEG0 to GFX0
Find: 50454730

@pastrychef Good info thanks.
Unfortunately when I rename GFX0 to IGPU my directvnow stops working...video playback problem. Would love to resolve this issue!!!

@pastrychef Good info thanks.
Unfortunately when I rename GFX0 to IGPU my directvnow stops working...video playback problem. Would love to resolve this issue!!!

Trying to play DRM content on a hack has been an issue for a long time. I have been in another thread trying to help someone solve another issue and he informed me that he is able to reliably play iTunes DRM content ONLY when he has IGPU disabled. There has also been some who have gotten mixed results by using Shiki (now integrated in to the latest WhateverGreen). Others have found that using different browsers (as in not using Safari) allowed them to play content from Netflix and/or Amazon Video.

Unfortunately, I have not read about a single solution that works for everyone when dealing with DRM content. The closest would probably be disabling IGPU.

But this is straying from the main topic of this thread...

If the IGPU cannot be configured, this Lilu plugin should fix preview with any SMBIOS.

https://github.com/vulgo/NoVPAJpeg

I have tried to use that kext in Clover, but it doesn't work on both of my machines. I did enable IGPU to be able to use Quick Look again. But the older machine doesn't wake well with IGPU enabled. It's a Skylake setup. Is there an option that this kext would work on my machines?
More Explanation: I use iMac 18,3 on both systems with a Board-ID from iMac 14,2 to eliminate the Black Screen issue.

Last edited:
I have been testing my Z370 system without WhateverGreen the last two days. I currently have everything working with the following:
  • No config.plist > Device > Properties entries related to IGPU.
  • No config.plist > Graphics > Inject Intel.
  • No config.plist > Graphics > RadeonDeInit.
  • No WhateverGreen.
  • GFX0 to IGPU rename.
  • PEGP to GFX0 rename.
  • 128MB assigned to IGPU in BIOS.
I'm on Mojave and haven't tested this in High Sierra (I already upgraded all my drives).

Also, previously, when I was injecting IGPU via config.plist > Devices > Properties, I was using 3E9B0007 because this was the only "desktop" id I found listed in this post. Is 3E920003 more appropriate?

@pasterychef, forgot to ask...what SMBIOS setting for the above?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back