Contribute
Register

Quick Sync hardware encode w/ nVideo card as primary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. The link provided by toleda has all the info you need.

Also, see this thread for instructions on how to inject when using WhateverGreen/Mojave.

One question on that ...

In Toleda's guide (Installation -> Clover [1] ) he states to set Inject Intel to true and inject a ig-platform-id, in my case this will be 0x04120004 for HD4600

But the WhateverGreen guide states to remove Intel Injection and no ig-platform-id ?

The two guides contradict each other ... whats working for you ?

Also looks like I need to change my System Def from 13,2 to 14,2

Cheers
Jay

One question on that ...

In Toleda's guide (Installation -> Clover [1] ) he states to set Inject Intel to true and inject a ig-platform-id, in my case this will be 0x04120004 for HD4600

But the WhateverGreen guide states to remove Intel Injection and no ig-platform-id ?

The two guides contradict each other ... whats working for you ?

Also looks like I need to change my System Def from 13,2 to 14,2

Cheers
Jay

With the latest WhateverGreen (1.2.1), I am using the instructions from the WhateverGreen guide and everything seems to be working well. I've switched to the newer method on all of my hacks.

With the latest WhateverGreen (1.2.1), I am using the instructions from the WhateverGreen guide and everything seems to be working well. I've switched to the newer method on all of my hacks.

I take it then your using Toleda's Hot Patch SSDT rather then using Clover to inject headless ig-platform-id ?

Jay

I take it then your using Toleda's Hot Patch SSDT rather then using Clover to inject headless ig-platform-id ?

Jay

No, I don't use the SSDTs. Just using config.plist/Devices/Properties.

Example taken from guide:
oXCZva9.png

Hi Scott1204. I've already upload my config.plist file and a screenshot of the kexts i'm using

Thanks rokdrgo, you config plist helped me narrow down the issues.

It looks like the Shikiva value is my problem.
When set to =1 I don't get hardware acceleration but do get DRM movie playback in iTunes (v 12.7.4) for purchased downloads. When I set to =12, I get hardware acceleration but iTunes just crashes constantly. Set to =28, I get hardware acceleration and somewhat stable iTunes.

Wondering if there are other tweaks that may improve the stability.

No, I don't use the SSDTs. Just using config.plist/Devices/Properties.View attachment 347549

Ok got it, thanks for the tip.

Ran the gfxutil to find the root PCI path of the IGPU and was greeted with not found in IOREG.

I have the GFX0 -> IGPU rename in my Clover config.plist and can see that the rename has been successful by looking at the DSDT after patching via MACIASL.

Digging a little deeper it looks like the ASRock Z97 BIOS actually disables the IGPU if no monitor is plugged in to it which was a bit surprising, however there is no specific IGPU Enable/Disable option in the BIOS, so maybe this is how ASRock chose to do it. The only options to do with GPU's is the usual option to select which GPU to initialise first . .

I'm running the latest (last) BIOS version available for the motherboard, so I'll do a bit of research and see if there is a more upto date MOD BIOS available that may open up some hidden options so that i can boot with both GPU's enabled ...

Seems odd that you need to play with the IGPU to get the DGPU to work properly but I guess Apple have never officially released a Nvidia GPU only system so can understand where this method is coming from.

Will keep you posted if i make some progress.

Cheers
Jay

Thank you very much everyone! I used ig_platform_id 0x59120003 and part of pastrychef's config.plist to enabled Quick Sync.

After successful headless enable, IGPU won't be shown in System Profile, but if you open up MacX Video Convertor, hardware acceleration is supported. To confirm Quick Sync is really working, I play a HEVC 10 bit file with Quicktime, which I had trouble playing 100% smoothly before even the computer wasn't really doing anything else. Now I can play that file without any issues even if I use software encoding at the same time using Handbrake deliberately hogging all the CPU resources.

Airplay display mirroring is also available.

Attached is a screen shot of my kexts and my clover configs, config_20180106.plist is what didn't work, and config.plist is the current one.

Thanks again, and hope my files would help as well.

Cheers
Kenneth

View attachment 303897

Hi, since you have successfully enabled Quicksync on i7-87000K, can you please render an HEVC timeline and time how long it takes?
FYI, I was successful enabling Quicksync simply by using the latest WhateverGreen and Lilu kexts. Exporting H264 30sec timeline in under 15secs. HEVC takes forever on my i7-3770K.

Thank you very much. Meanwhile I managed this as well. I forgot to put -disablegfxfirmware in boot, so I constantly got KP when booting. Now, it all works. Thx!
No worries. Can you do me a favor and please please render an HEVC timeline and time how long it takes?

Ok got it, thanks for the tip.

Ran the gfxutil to find the root PCI path of the IGPU and was greeted with not found in IOREG.

I have the GFX0 -> IGPU rename in my Clover config.plist and can see that the rename has been successful by looking at the DSDT after patching via MACIASL.

Digging a little deeper it looks like the ASRock Z97 BIOS actually disables the IGPU if no monitor is plugged in to it which was a bit surprising, however there is no specific IGPU Enable/Disable option in the BIOS, so maybe this is how ASRock chose to do it. The only options to do with GPU's is the usual option to select which GPU to initialise first . .

Wow. That's the first time I've ever heard of something like this...

Wow. That's the first time I've ever heard of something like this...

Working on it right now .... amazingly there was a new BIOS update dated July 2018 ... nice to see ASRock are still supporting this motherboard even though its over 4 years old now.

Have just flashed that and found a BIOS option confusingly called "IGPU Multi-Monitor Support"

Now you would have thought that with a name like it would mean that by enabling it you can use more than one of the built in display ports for the IGPU ... but no it actually means Dual GPU support, with it enabled Both the IGPU & DGPU are enabled.

So this is a step forward ... although with it enabled my OSX boot up time has more than doubled ... maybe down to MacOS trying to find a monitor on teh IGPU that is not there ...

Ran GFXUTIL as detailed in the WhatEverGreen guide and derived the PCU root of the IGPU with no problems this time.
I then added the headless AAPL,ig-platform-id device property to my Clover config :-

Screen Shot 2018-08-23 at 14.41.01.png

The value of 04120004 is taken from Toleda's guide for Series 8/9 for HD4600 IGPU's

I was hoping that this would be enough to get things working, so i deleted NvidiaGraphicsFixUp and installed WhatEverGreen 1.2.1 but unfortunately it still KP's .. switching back to NvidiaGraphicsFixUp the system boots fine but still no Hardware encode/decode.

Next thing to try is to change my Sys Def to a iMac 14,X as detailed in Toleda's guide (I'm currently using 13,2)
Just going to give that a go now and will report back on what happens ...

Cheers
Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back