Contribute
Register

Quick Sync hardware encode w/ nVideo card as primary

Status
Not open for further replies.
I enable IGPU in my BIOS and use ig-platform-id 0x01620007 for H.264 encode in iMovie & FCPX. Without enabling the IGPU, iMovie does not encode the video and fails with an Operation error.

With IGPU disabled, video rendering and OpenCL get sluggish AFTER playing You tube videos and Geekbench benchmarks crash.
With IGPU enabled, FCPX cannot encode 8-bit HEVC (that option disappears). For me at the moment HEVC is not important.
To enable HEVC encode, an enabler x4250.kext by @shuhung is required.

Are you guys trying to activate Quick Sync because you just want to enable everything possible for the completist endorphin rush, or do you really wish to use Quick Sync for FCPX exporting? Because Quick Sync was designed to be fast and decent, not high quality. It’s meant for real-time video calls, where quality is happily traded off for less lag. For FCPX exporting, Quick Sync results in significantly lower quality video than letting your real GPU handle the encoding. I keep seeing FCPX guys here trying to get Quick Sync working even when they have a killer GPU like an RX580 — please tell me what I’m missing here.

well I have the rx 580 pro and when I export the same file with quick sync I get 45sec then if I disable quick sync and use same settings to export in fcpx I get 2.15secs I don't think it uses your rx580 from exporting does it ? my 580 works out of the box in the latest version osx 10.13.4

Are you guys trying to activate Quick Sync because you just want to enable everything possible for the completist endorphin rush, or do you really wish to use Quick Sync for FCPX exporting? Because Quick Sync was designed to be fast and decent, not high quality. It’s meant for real-time video calls, where quality is happily traded off for less lag. For FCPX exporting, Quick Sync results in significantly lower quality video than letting your real GPU handle the encoding. I keep seeing FCPX guys here trying to get Quick Sync working even when they have a killer GPU like an RX580 — please tell me what I’m missing here.
Yes you're missing something -- that is how it suppose to work but does not.
With the IGPU disabled, FCPX nor iMovies cannot export H.264 video format.
With the IGPU disabled, OpenCL misbehaves after playing Youtube videos -- all the benchmarks dive southwards.
With the IGPU disabled, you would expect FCPX to use the "killer GPU like RX580" but it does not -- call it a bug/feature.
Some of us do not want to enable the IGPU but are left with no other choice.

Why some have OpenCL slowdown (Geekbench OpenCL) if after they play an video?
I don't have that, doesn't matter IGPU complete disabled (BIOS) or connectorless aktive running RX 460.
At least on Sierra i tested this many times (also with latest Sierra Sec Update March 2018), In HS i also tested this with no OPenCL slowdown by Videoplayback - but was latest HS Version, not newest.
Has this - OpenCL slowdown after Video playing or not - to do with the AMD GPU Type?

Hi, My result for FCPX with Bruce X is 2:08 min. Tell me this is normal? Here are the screenshots of his work and during the test the system brakes!

Attachments

• Снимок экрана 2018-04-04 в 20.42.10.png
    Снимок экрана 2018-04-04 в 20.42.10.png
    48.3 KB · Views: 151
  • Снимок экрана 2018-04-04 в 20.42.50.png
    Снимок экрана 2018-04-04 в 20.42.50.png
    37.6 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
With i7-3770(K) and iMac13,2 system definition, you can use ig-platform-id "0x01620007"

With i7-6700(K) and iMac17,1 system definition, you can use ig-platform-id "0x19120001"

With i7-7700(K) and iMac18,3 system definition, you can use ig-platform-id "0x59120003"

With i7-8700(K) and iMac18,3 system definition, you can use ig-platform-id "0x59120003"

These ig-platform-ids are "headless" settings meaning that they will not work with a monitor plugged in to them. Remember to enable Inject Intel. This setting will enable Quick Sync.

*i7-7700(K) and i7-8700(K) also needed Lilu.kext and IntelGraphicsFixup.kext to be installed.

hey @pastrychef Thanks for your guide...will it work Sapphire Radeon R9 280X ? or only for nvidia Card ?

This should work fine with any macOS supported video card. So, yes, it should work with your card.

great thank you @pastrychef ...
I Have 4790K haswell too.. should I put ig-platform id (0x0d220003 for haswell Intel HD 4600) and check inject intel in clover to make QuickSync Enable too ?
thank you

great thank you @pastrychef ...
I Have 4790K haswell too.. should I put ig-platform id (0x0d220003 for haswell Intel HD 4600) and check inject intel in clover to make QuickSync Enable too ?
thank you

For HD 4600, ig-platform-id should be 0x04120004.

For HD 4600, ig-platform-id should be 0x04120004.
@pastrychef
hmmm.. oke
I'll Change it 0x0d220003 to 0x04120004
should id Inject intel too ? and Install Lastest Shiki, IntelGraphicsFixup ? Enable Intel HD on BIOS ? currently running Sierra 10.12.4 with GTX 1050...
thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back