Contribute
Register

Quick Sync hardware encode w/ nVideo card as primary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Try rollback your webdriver to 387.10.10.10.25.104.

BruceX will run over 3 mins on my GTx1080 Ti if I use the latest webdriver. I have had to rollback to 104 in last 3 macOS updates.

So how did you rollback to .104? I tried using the nvidia-update script and it came back with "unknown revision 387.10.10.1025.104"

So how did you rollback to .104? I tried using the nvidia-update script and it came back with "unknown revision 387.10.10.1025.104"

Nevermind. It was mistyped, it should be 378 not 387

Hm, I went through all the forum posts and still can't get it to work.

Setup
  • Mac OS X 10.11.6
  • Gigabyte H170M-D3H
  • GTX 950
  • i7 6700 (HD 530)
Clover
  • ig-platform-id: 0x19120001
  • Inject Intel: yes
  • shikigva=60
  • disablegfxfirmware
DSDT
  • HDAS -> HDEF
  • HECI -> IMEI
  • GFX0 -> IGPU
  • PEGP -> GFX0
BIOS:
  • initial display output: PCIe
  • iGPU: enabled
  • DVMT alloc: 64MB
KEXTS (all updated yesterday):
  • shiki
  • intelgraphicsfixup
  • lilu
  • nvidiagraphicsfixup
I attached my config.plist and a screenshot of my non-working iGPU in Intel Power Gadget.

I could be wrong as I'm using HD4000 & RX 580, but I had to set "initial display output: IGFX" ie initialise the Intel GFX chip first (even though it's headless), otherwise my system hangs halfway through the boot process.

YMMV as you are using a NVIDIA and a 6th gen... lot later than my old set-up.

Hi, i have comparable System as ypu (GA Z77 DS3H + i5-3570K). I must not set IGPU as first in GA BIOS, first is my AMD RX 460.
I use also connector-less ig-id for the HD4000 (0x01620007, set in Clover).

Hi, i have comparable System as ypu (GA Z77 DS3H + i5-3570K). I must not set IGPU as first in GA BIOS, first is my AMD RX 460.
I use also connector-less ig-id for the HD4000 (0x01620007, set in Clover).

Are you saying your system does not work if you set HD4000 (IGFX) first?

In my system, I have to set the HD4000 (IGFX) as the primary in the BIOS, even though I have my two monitors plugged into my AMD RX 580 and none in the HD4000. If I don't set it this way Quick Sync does not work for me.

Is 0x01620007 correct? My system is a Ivy Bridge i7-3770 and I have 0x01620005 set.

The system should find your AMD card as you have a monitor(s) plugged into it the AMD.
With my BIOS I have to tell it to initialise the HD4000 first (IGFX) as it does not work if I boot the AMD RX 580 first (PEG).

Another thing to note is that Airplay Mirroring only work when a display is connected to UHD 630 as the primary and only display. The mirror option doesn't show up in any other configuration. With my Z77 i7-3770 GTx 980 system, I just need to enable HD4000, i.e. see it in system profiler, for Airplay Mirroring, even no monitor is connected to HD4000.

I also discovered that although MacX say you have hardware acceleration and Compressor let you choose HEVC, sometimes it doesn't mean you really have it. Sometimes it will just kernel panic as soon as you start the encode/decode. This behaviour has to do with ig-platform-id, I noticed it when I was experimenting with different ig-platform-id.

Hi @macbrush. Very interesting your comment on the kernel panic issue and ig-platform-id's. I have the same i7-3770 running in a Z77 MB also. I'm having kernel panics in Blender when using GPU Cycles with both my GPU (AMD RX 580) & HD4000 selected. No problems if it is deselected and Air Play is working fine.

My system is working (or is it?) with ig-platform-id currently set to 0x01620005, can you tell me what you have set yours to please? Also do we have to load any kext for the Quick Sync to work properly?

TIA

I've attached my config.plist

Attachments

• config.plist.zip
    2.6 KB · Views: 80
"Are you saying your system does not work if you set HD4000 (IGFX) first?"
No, i said that - other than you - i can boot with PEGP(AMD GPU) first=primary and iGPU second. You said you cant boot this way.

For my knowledge your used ig-platform-id 0x01620005 is not connectorless ist for normal usage with an display connected.
0x01620007 & 0x01620006 are both connectorless ids for this Cpu type/Igpu Typ HD4000. For use as Quicksync device only, no Monitor/display Out.
Sure, if you want the IGPU also for display /video output you need normal, non connectorless ID. In this case, normal ID the IGPU will be shown also as Display Device in system information.
My igpu isnt shown there - no displays by the ID.
For Quicksync you must not load any extra kexts.
To check Quicksync i used Macx Video Converter Pro - has an switch (if QS available!) to activate/deaktivate QS enc.
So its easy to test or see speedup by QS: Same Video h264 enc with QS= 189 FPS (the app shows that) and without iGPU (HD4000), by switching it off in the app , 60 FPS = same video.
Macx Video Converter Pro also shows if QS is available (info Button behind the QS on/of switch) by YES or NO.
Id didnt now any other Videosoftware which supports QS this way -other FCPX or Compressor simple use it or not - no switch, no info if QS is available & used. Check can only be done by disabling IGPU in BIOS and compare enc speed to enabled igpu.
PS: In the wikipedia of QS you see also that video codecs , QS supports depends also from cpu/iGPU generation. h264 can all i-x, newer or some with other features only newer cpu types.

Here some IDs (not complete for other Igpus) showing connectorless = no(0) video ports = no display.

Bildschirmfoto 2018-02-20 um 08.50.58.jpg

Last edited:
"Are you saying your system does not work if you set HD4000 (IGFX) first?"
No, i said that - other than you - i can boot with PEGP(AMD GPU) first=primary and iGPU second. You said you cant boot this way.

For my knowledge your used ig-platform-id 0x01620005 is not connectorless ist for normal usage with an display connected.
0x01620007 & 0x01620006 are both connectorless ids for this Cpu type/Igpu Typ HD4000. For use as Quicksync device only, no Monitor/display Out.
Sure, if you want the IGPU also for display /video output you need normal, non connectorless ID. In this case, normal ID the IGPU will be shown also as Display Device in system information.
My igpu isnt shown there - no displays by the ID.
For Quicksync you must not load any extra kexts.
To check Quicksync i used Macx Video Converter Pro - has an switch (if QS available!) to activate/deaktivate QS enc.
So its easy to test or see speedup by QS: Same Video h264 enc with QS= 189 FPS (the app shows that) and without iGPU (HD4000), by switching it off in the app , 60 FPS = same video.
Macx Video Converter Pro also shows if QS is available (info Button behind the QS on/of switch) by YES or NO.
Id didnt now any other Videosoftware which supports QS this way -other FCPX or Compressor simple use it or not - no switch, no info if QS is available & used. Check can only be done by disabling IGPU in BIOS and compare enc speed to enabled igpu.
PS: In the wikipedia of QS you see also that video codecs , QS supports depends also from cpu/iGPU generation. h264 can all i-x, newer or some with other features only newer cpu types.

Here some IDs (not complete for other Igpus) showing connectorless = no(0) video ports = no display.

View attachment 320234

Thanks @mitch_de for your reply. One question I've got, is what do I set my IGFX memory values in BIOS to, or what did you find that worked for you on your MB?

I'll retry with 0x01620007 & 0x01620006 and PEGP(AMD GPU) as the first GFX card. I don't want to use the HD4000 with a monitor, as I have two Dell 4K monitors on my RX 580.

I'll post back here with my findings.... but it's getting a little late here in Australia.

Edit: Also, is it possible to have a look at your config.plist?

For my knowledge the IGPU VRAM mem size with connectorless ig ID doesnt matter, as with normal ig-id. I use 64 MB IGPU in BIOS.
config.plist uploaded - all serial or uuid keys are xxx ed

Attachments

• config.plist.zip
    3 KB · Views: 84
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back