CPU
i7-2600K
Graphics
HD 3000
Mac
MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
iOS
Since my build is 8700K, I choose the newly released Mac Mini as my model. It enables HWP. I wonder how these two power management cope with each other.
No "coping" required (no idea what you mean really).

Motherboard
ASUS Z370 PRIME A
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
GTX 650Ti
Mobile Phone
Android, Other
No "coping" required (no idea what you mean really).
My question is who takes the charge for CPU power management if they both are enabled and working. With my past experience with Pentium G4600, you have to fake cpuid to 0306A0 and use NullIntelCPU to disable EIST completely so that HWP takes the charge here.

RehabMan

Motherboard
Intel DH67BL
CPU
i7-2600K
Graphics
HD 3000
Mac
MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
iOS
My question is who takes the charge for CPU power management if they both are enabled and working. With my past experience with Pentium G4600, you have to fake cpuid to 0306A0 and use NullIntelCPU to disable EIST completely so that HWP takes the charge here.
Certain plists in X86PlatformPlugin are HWP enabled.

Note: Just because HWP is a hardware controlled CPU PM mechanism, does not mean it cannot be tweaked/adjusted by software.

Motherboard
ASUS Z370 PRIME A
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
GTX 650Ti
Mobile Phone
Android, Other
Certain plists in X86PlatformPlugin are HWP enabled.

Note: Just because HWP is a hardware controlled CPU PM mechanism, does not mean it cannot be tweaked/adjusted by software.
Yeah, the latest Mac mini smbios I am using have hwp enabled. My question is that do EIST and hwp get along? Which takes the charge or has the say of which frequency cpu needs to stay in?

RehabMan

Motherboard
Intel DH67BL
CPU
i7-2600K
Graphics
HD 3000
Mac
MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
iOS
Yeah, the latest Mac mini smbios I am using have hwp enabled. My question is that do EIST and hwp get along? Which takes the charge or has the say of which frequency cpu needs to stay in?
HWP (aka SpeedShift) is essentially hardware controlled SpeedStep.

If you're interested in how software can control HWP, you should read the documentation (programmers guide) provided by Intel.

Motherboard
ASUS Z370 PRIME A
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
GTX 650Ti
Mobile Phone
Android, Other
HWP (aka SpeedShift) is essentially hardware controlled SpeedStep.

If you're interested in how software can control HWP, you should read the documentation (programmers guide) provided by Intel.
Got it. Btw, the fakesmc companion kext for reporting cpu voltage is not working properly for me(your fork). It shows 0.6v most of the time. Are there any methods tweaking it or reporting bug etc? My board is Asus prime A z370.

Last edited:

RehabMan

Motherboard
Intel DH67BL
CPU
i7-2600K
Graphics
HD 3000
Mac
MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
iOS
Btw, the fakesmc companion kext for reporting cpu voltage is not working properly for me(your fork)
If you're referring to FakeSMC_LPCSensors.kext, you'll need to look into creating a profile for it or fixing the code.
I don't have your hardware, nor do I actually use any of the sensor kexts.

Motherboard
ASUS Z370 PRIME A
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
GTX 650Ti
Mobile Phone
Android, Other
If you're referring to FakeSMC_LPCSensors.kext, you'll need to look into creating a profile for it or fixing the code.
I don't have your hardware, nor do I actually use any of the sensor kexts.
Are there any tutorials for creating the profile? Btw, I turned off speed step and C states in UEFI. OSX still manages to cool my CPU frequency down. Is that fine?

RehabMan

Motherboard
Intel DH67BL
CPU
i7-2600K
Graphics
HD 3000
Mac
MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
iOS
Are there any tutorials for creating the profile?
No. You must refer to existing examples in the plist and read the source code for further details.
Btw, I turned off speed step and C states in UEFI. OSX still manages to cool my CPU frequency down. Is that fine?
Some BIOS settings are probably ignored when running macOS.