Contribute
Register

Quick Guide to Generate a SSDT for CPU Power Management

Instead just use PluginType in Clover which is what I have but noticed my CPU Frequency doesn't go below 1.30GHz even at idle.

It is due to data in the X86PlatformPlugin plist (in Resources) related to your board-id (determined by your SMBIOS choice).
Read up on FrequencyVectors.

It is likely Apple idles their computers at higher pstates for a reason.

It is due to data in the X86PlatformPlugin plist (in Resources) related to your board-id (determined by your SMBIOS choice).
Read up on FrequencyVectors.

It is likely Apple idles their computers at higher pstates for a reason.

Does it mean regardless if I will generate a SSDT, it will still be the same?
How about the Drop Tables, should I delete the entries there?

I did a quick Google on FrequencyVectors and found Piker's script but its a bit old. Anyway, if this is the normal idle for real iMac 18,2 then I'm just gonna leave it there.

Does it mean regardless if I will generate a SSDT, it will still be the same?

Same.

How about the Drop Tables, should I delete the entries there?

You should not be dropping any CPU related SSDTs.

I did a quick Google on FrequencyVectors and found Piker's script but its a bit old.

There is also Lilu based CPUFriend.kext (I have not tested it).

Anyway, if this is the normal idle for real iMac 18,2 then I'm just gonna leave it there.

Normal/as Apple intended.

I don't think AppleIntelInfo.kext has support for CPUs older than Sandy Bridge.
At least that was the case originally.
You can always test/verify, of course.
Hi Rehabman

I have put my machine under various CPU stresses over last few days and have noticed that I am stuck at base frequency of 2.77Ghz and 1.188V. I know my CPU is as ancient as ice, but what would be ideal scenario to have a set frequency working? My CPU's top speed is 3.2Ghz and am wondering if I should run it that high all the time

Hi Rehabman

I have put my machine under various CPU stresses over last few days and have noticed that I am stuck at base frequency of 2.77Ghz and 1.188V. I know my CPU is as ancient as ice, but what would be ideal scenario to have a set frequency working? My CPU's top speed is 3.2Ghz and am wondering if I should run it that high all the time

The laptop guide has some advice for older CPUs. It may apply to desktops as well:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-native-power-management-for-laptops.175801/

The laptop guide has some advice for older CPUs. It may apply to desktops as well:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-native-power-management-for-laptops.175801/
Thanks, I've used that post and I think by not doing anything to my SSDT, not dropping anything, I have much better results than by dropping or generating anything. I am convinced HWMonitor is unable to correctly detect temperatures and frequencies for my CPU. It doesn't seem too broken for my desktop as it is 24x7 connected to power and heat is non-existent when I check physically.

Thanks, I've used that post and I think by not doing anything to my SSDT, not dropping anything, I have much better results than by dropping or generating anything.

Yes... that is the typical/recommended setup for CPUs older than Sandy Bridge.

I have Ivy Bridge i5 3570K CPU, and using Mac OS Sierra.
Do I need to use this method and generate an SSDT file to make sure power management is working correctly, or do I need a different method/setup in clover?
Thanks.

I have Ivy Bridge i5 3570K CPU, and using Mac OS Sierra.
Do I need to use this method and generate an SSDT file to make sure power management is working correctly, or do I need a different method/setup in clover?
Thanks.

Typically you generate SSDT.aml with ssdtPRgen.sh (for Sandy or Ivy).

With Ivy, you also have the possibility of using XCPM (config.plist/KernelAndKextPatches/KernelXCPM=true, config.plist/ACPI/SSDT/Generate/PluginType=true).

Thanks.
If I want to use XCPM I need to remove the SSDT.aml file from the /Patched folder?
Do I still need to look for X86PlatformPlugin in IOReg to make sure PM is working?
What is the difference between the methods? is XCPM a native power management?

Back