Contribute
Register

Quick guide to configuring the UEFI on Gigabyte's 7-series LGA-1155 motherboards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Article: Quick guide to configuring the UEFI on Gigabyte's 7-series LGA-1155 motherboards

With that question you are on the outside edge of my competence and experience. I have seen no difference between booting at UEFI and P0 or P1 or P2; all 64-bit I believe.

After you successfully boot onto your target HD, then use MultiBeast to make necessary changes to your OS, especially FakeSMCkext.

I corrected one error with "Waiting for DSMOS" by repairing Permissions using the Disk Utilities application.

Remember to use -v and -x, for verbose boot and safe boot, so you can see more than a spinning wheel during boot.

Attachments

• SAM_0342ss.jpg
    SAM_0342ss.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 153
[h=1]GA-Z77N-WIFI + i5-3470[/h]
When the apple hangs on boot, .......
although "optimized defaults settings" the „Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O“ is on!
Please in the BIOS Vitualization switch off: VT-d = Disabled !!!

Thanks for the great community and greetings from Vienna

Article: Quick guide to configuring the UEFI on Gigabyte's 7-series LGA-1155 motherboards

With that question you are on the outside edge of my competence and experience. I have seen no difference between booting at UEFI and P0 or P1 or P2; all 64-bit I believe. After you successfully boot onto your target HD, then use MultiBeast to make necessary changes to your OS, especially FakeSMCkext. I corrected one error with "Waiting for DSMOS" by repairing Permissions using the Disk Utilities application. Remember to use -v and -x, for verbose boot and safe boot, so you can see more than a spinning wheel during boot.

Hi JimAvrum, I should clarify my question. For a GA-Z77X-UP5 TH, the user's manual (page 54) under BIOS Features for Boot Option Priorities says:
"Removable storage devices that support GPT format will be prefixed with "UEFI:" string on the boot device list. To boot from an operating system that supports GPT partitioning, select the device prefixed with "UEFI:" string."

That implies that when booting from a P0, P1, P2, etc... partition/source that the partition format is not a GPT partition/source. My thought is that if the partition is not GPT, therefore legacy(non 64-bit?), that you are limited to the limitations of a 32 bit OS. There is a example on that page that refers to Win 7 64-bit, and it should choose the UFI: prefixed source DVD to install. Another example refers to netbooting from a WPS server to install a GPT format OS.

I have not seen this referenced in this thread yet, and was looking for clarification or experience related to the boot, especially since the guide has you create and format a GPT partition to install upon.

Cheers-

Actually, I have NOT figured out how to boot from UEFI. I only boot from P0, P1, P2, P3, which is a boot from the MBR (Master Boot Record). I selected UEFI as first choice, but only P(n) boots. Mac OS X cannot boot if you set the boot option to anything that starts with "UEFI." Still working on how to boot from UEFI.

That is, my BIOS is configured for Legacy boot, Legacy MBR is the only boot option that works for me.

I added a SSHD to serve as my backup, but my Macintosh HD no longer shows up on the boot order choice menu, only the SSHD shows up.

Hi. I have the GA-Z77-UP5 TH. I assume this guide applies to me? If so, in reflection to the original guide of How to Install Mountain Lion, when should this step be implemented into my install?

ErroneousDylan,

You set the BIOS up first - before the installation of OS X. See my Thunderball build description for a top level description. (Link in my signature block.)

Hi Guys,
Thanks in advance for any help! I made this system not thinking about a Pc/Hackintosh, but would it be possible to make a Hackingtosh with the parts?
- WaterCooling: H100i

- Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Gene
- RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 MHz
- Cpu: Haswell 4770k (8 Threads)
- storage: Samsung SSD 840 Pro 256 GB & Western Digital 1 TB
- Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 3 GB
- 64 bit Windows Pro (for use of all 32 GB)
- 64 Bit OSX (For testing my programs)

Eventually, once Apple releases a version of OS X that supports Haswell.

Actually, I have NOT figured out how to boot from UEFI. I only boot from P0, P1, P2, P3, which is a boot from the MBR (Master Boot Record). I selected UEFI as first choice, but only P(n) boots. Mac OS X cannot boot if you set the boot option to anything that starts with "UEFI." Still working on how to boot from UEFI. That is, my BIOS is configured for Legacy boot, Legacy MBR is the only boot option that works for me. I added a SSHD to serve as my backup, but my Macintosh HD no longer shows up on the boot order choice menu, only the SSHD shows up.
I am currently booting from a P2, but have booted from UEFI: in past. I think I booted from iBoot ivy cd, then swapped to ML USB, and installed to GPT partition, and rebooted into UEFI disk, with ML installed. Anyway, I thought I was missing out on something by using a P(n) partition. Hey Stork, do you know if this is limited in any way on this board, and booting a legacy partition? Cheers-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back