Contribute
Register

Quick guide to configuring the UEFI on Gigabyte's 7-series LGA-1155 motherboards

Status
Not open for further replies.
in peripherals, what should SATA mode selection be?

Hey everyone, hope your machines are all running smooth and fast. =)

Still a couple issues on my H77N-wifi / i5-3570k / 8GB Corsair XMS3 1600 system.

1) System still won't boot on it's own. Displays some numbers and a J and blinking cursor. Only way to boot is by booting with ML install flash, hitting F12 to see the boot menu, and then selecting the bootable drive. I've reordered things in the BIOS, turned on only Legacy booting, etc... can't get past this one...

2) RAM defaults to 1333. How can I make it run at 1600?

3) Bluetooth mouse sometimes won't wake the screen from sleep, hitting space bar brings it back but bluetooth mouse is completely unresponsive. Plugin a USB mouse, go to bluetooth settings and either there's no mouse listed and need to add it again or it's still listed but not working at all and have to remove it and readd it. Thoughts?

4) Sleep doesn't seem to be functioning. CPU and PSU fans running full speed constantly even when the screen shuts off. Anyway to get this to really sleep?

Thanks!

Article: Quick guide to configuring the UEFI on Gigabyte's 7-series LGA-1155 motherboards

"... Note that all of Gigabyte’s 7-series LGA-1155 boards have AHCI enabled by default ..."

Another "not so" example. GA-Z77-DS3H v1.0/F6 purchased 12/09/2012, AHCI not enabled.
Upgrade to F9 and loaded Optimal, AHCI still not "default" enabled.

fyi on Sleep/Wake problems: Gigabyte UEFI mobos have a problem with Firewire PCIe cards as
detailed on this thread: http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-h...leep-wake-shutdown-restart-issues-thread.html
FOUR Months after being made aware of the conflict, Gigabyte has yet to correct the issue.

I've searched the forums for an answer to this, but everything keeps leading me back to this thread and I can't seem to find a simple answer to my really newbie question:

How do I get my install to show up in my boot selection as a legacy P0 drive rather than a UEFI drive? I've messed with all the settings (turning "legacy only" on and off, etc) and the drive shows up as P0 if I manually select my boot device and in the Boot Override list in my BIOS, but I can't seem to find a way to select it automatically. I'm using a month old GA-Z77X-UP5 TH. I have it setup to dual boot with Windows 7, but the installs are on completely separate drives. Everything else about the machine works perfectly, I just can't get it to boot automatically into Mountain Lion. :)

Any help is obviously appreciated, and I apologize again for asking what is probably a completely easy question.

Thanks,
Jack

Article: Quick guide to configuring the UEFI on Gigabyte's 7-series LGA-1155 motherboards

I have found no answer. I have to start up by hitting F12 at the boot screen, and then select the HD (1 TB) with Mountain Lion. My other HD (1.5 TB) contains my Windows 7 operating system and software.

Glad to know it isn't just me. Any idea what that whole 'Boot Override' thing is all about? Seems like if I could just move it to the top of that list then things would work, but I can't seem to figure out any way to adjust the order of that list. If you figure anything out, let me know and I'll do the same.

Thanks,
Jack

I have found no answer. I have to start up by hitting F12 at the boot screen, and then select the HD (1 TB) with Mountain Lion. My other HD (1.5 TB) contains my Windows 7 operating system and software.

Jim,

Figured mine out and hopefully it will work for yours. Go into the Hard Disk BBS settings just below the boot order. In there you can set the P0 drive to be active. This worked for me and now my machine boots perfectly and I can select between my mac and windows installs at the red apple screen.

Good luck,
Jack

THANKS! Setting the Boot Order on my BIOS as you recommended gives me the option of Mountain Lion or Windows. Now, thanks to your suggestion, my machine boots perfectly!

GA Z77X-UP5 TH On-board Graphics Resolution

RESOLVED: Had selected the incorrect LAN driver...works perfectly now.

RESOLVED: Reinstalled OSX and went through settings...and the monitor issue resolved itself. Now I've lost my LAN connection???

Just fired up a my first build with Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH mobo / i7. Followed your setup above and installed 10.8.2 using Unibeast. I'm using onboard graphics for now (planning to get 660ti card shortly) and am only getting 1024x768 using DVI and Dell 1920 x 1200 (supported res) monitor. No other options are showing in Display Pref's. What's the trick to enabling higher res graphics?

hey
I have a Z77X-UD5H, 3570K, 660ti and am trying to install ml onto an Sam 840 non pro 120gb
it has the uefi prefix and I have no idea of how to remove
PLEASE HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back