Contribute
Register

Quick Fix for Intel HD 4600 Graphics Acceleration on 9 Series Motherboards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi, toleda.
I list a table to indicate my experiments.

version that AppleIntelFramebufferAzul.kext retrieved from result QE/CI
10.9.1 entered into osx NO
10.9.2 reboot circularly N/A
10.9.3 reboot circularly N/A
10.9.4 reboot circularly N/A

Preconditions:
1.ig-platform-id=<03 00 22 0d>,
2.fakeid was not used.
3.all kexts are patched by toleda's : "HD4600+/HD4000/HD3000 Framebuffer Edits"

PS:10.9.1/10.9.2's kext in the experiments has been added '0x8cba8086' manually.

one screenshot with using 10.9.1'kext:
Screen Shot 2014-07-07 at 9.41.23 PM.png

relevent files(including IOJone, IOReg, DSDT.aml, ssdt.aml, config.plist):
View attachment Archive.zip

Help please.
Thank you so much.

Suggestions, no. Complicated, see Clover Wiki.
I already read Clover wiki and used this method with few other kexts.

you weren't very clear, you don't think it will work or do you think it's too complicated?

Howdy.

I've followed the steps in Stork's guide to getting a Gigabyte Z97N motherboard up and running (including using the 10.9.4 fixed kext and toleda's patch), but I've run into a bit of an issue with graphics corruption on one of two monitors. The machine is a i7-4970K on a Gigabyte GA-Z97N-Wifi motherboard, with 16GB of RAM; in order to prevent kernel panics at boot, I've disabled Turbo Boost for the time being. The HD4600 is correctly recognized and QE/CI appear to be working.

I have two monitors connected - a Dell 1703FP at 1280x1024 using a HDMI-DVI adapter and a HP ZR2740w that has a native resolution of 2560x1440 using a dual-link DVI cable. The HP monitor however has significant graphical glitches at any resolution above 1280x720. This occurs regardless of the amount of IGFX memory allocated, but seems to be worse under 128MB. I'm attaching a two photos that hopefully illustrate this problem - notice the "halo" around the galaxy, and corruption of the menu bar and window title text.
IMG_1900.jpgIMG_1902.jpg

I'm also attaching what I hope is a correct IOReg copy as a zip file.

Grateful for any help in resolving this.

Attachments

• vnangia_0.zip
    410.6 KB · Views: 116
The HP monitor however has significant graphical glitches at any resolution above 1280x720.
Grateful for any help in resolving this.

looks like classic bad cable / signal issue.

Check pins of the cables and connectors; use a shorter and/or higher quality cable; etc

Do not use BIOS VRAM value other than 64MB for HD4600. MAX DVMT also required.
g\

looks like classic bad cable / signal issue.

Check pins of the cables and connectors; use a shorter and/or higher quality cable; etc

Do not use BIOS VRAM value other than 64MB for HD4600. MAX DVMT also required.
g\

Multiple cables are good, mobo connector is good - it works fine under Ubuntu and Windows. The problem exists only under Mac OS X. Under 128MB, the ZR2740 flickers worse and blanks out after 30-40 seconds from bottom left to top right. DVMT is MAX in BIOS.

I have two monitors connected - a Dell 1703FP at 1280x1024 using a HDMI-DVI adapter and a HP ZR2740w that has a native resolution of 2560x1440 using a dual-link DVI cable.
Gigabyte Z97N-WiFi Specs:

1. 1 x DVI-I port, supporting a maximum resolution of 1920x1200@60Hz
A dual link cable is useless with a single link connector. At this time, OS X supports 1440p over DP only.

Gigabyte Z97N-WiFi Specs:

1. 1 x DVI-I port, supporting a maximum resolution of 1920x1200@60Hz
A dual link cable is useless with a single link connector. At this time, OS X supports 1440p over DP only.

Thank you for your reply. Two points:

1. The assertion about 1920x1200 in Gigabyte's documentation is provably false: both Ubuntu Trusty with an aptitude upgrade and Windows 7 with the latest Intel drivers, are able to drive the ZR2740w at its native resolution over the DVI port without issue. There are other factors to suggest that it is not the cable nor connector limitations; for example, the problem also manifests over an HDMI -> DVI adapter (Gigabyte's documentation indicates that the port is HDMI 1.4a compliant and should be able to drive 2560x1600 at 60Hz).

2. I cannot speak to the OS X requirement for certain resolutions needing to be over DP as I do not have enough of an understanding of it, but you should know that the flickering, ghosting and corruption occurs at all resolutions higher than 1280x720, including 1366x768, 1920x1080, and the native 2560x1440. That would suggest a kext issue, rather than a fundamental OS X limitation. If it is indeed the case that one can't drive a larger monitor without DP, though, then I guess I'm buying a Mac Mini.

The assertion about 1920x1200 in Gigabyte's documentation is provably false:
Bold assertion, discuss the specs with Gigabyte. Your configuration is clearly not compliant to the published specifications. Your experiments are not valid as you are not spec compliant. 720p is the maximum resolution that is compliant for your display and, no surprise, no issues.

This issue has no relation to the topic of this thread, start another thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back