XFX HD-687X-CNFC Radeon HD 6870
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm currently running a Hackintosh that I built 3 years ago, which runs Lion. I finally went ahead and ordered all the components for a complete new build. I have a question, though.

If I install a clone of my current Hackintosh onto my new Hackintosh will it also clone over all my settings from when I used Multibeast to set it up way back when? I'm assuming it will, which I don't want. Is it as easy as just setting up a new Multibeast configuration and it will overwrite the old one or is there more to it? Thanks.

Yes, it will.

I think the best way is to backup (e.g. with Carbon Copy Cloner) your existing Lion to another drive.
Install ML fresh on your new hack.
Work out all the kinks on the new machine.
Use Migration Assistant to bring in your apps, files, etc...

I knew there'd be someone here with knowledge exceeding my own!!

Thanks for the info. I have Carbon Copy Cloner backing up my Hackintosh already, but I didn't know you could just bring in apps and other pertinent stuff. I just assumed you had to do the entire system. Guess I should have looked at it more closely.

Migration Assistant is very convenient but there is a caveat. Read this:

http://netkas.org/?p=1016

It may or may not happen to you. Even if it does, it's an easy fix and the convenience of using Migration Assistant is worth it.
Personally I used MA a few times and I've not encountered the problem described above.

So I've used MA with some success. All my applications are over on the new SSD, which is a big deal. I didn't bring over my settings because last time it killed my audio, since it's using the kexts from my other Hackintosh. Question is, is there a way to bring over some settings, like my Mail settings, and not bring over others that I don't want, like the old kexts?

Ah ha! When I switched to my old User that I imported then it was all set up correctly. Woot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back