Contribute
Register

Quick advice - new Mainboard and other components.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth 55i
CPU
Intel i7 860 @3.6GHz
Graphics
MSI GTX 760 Gaming
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
:wave: Hi there,

first of all this is really great site! I'm really happy, that I found it und I must say it is much more user friendly and informative than for example insanelymac. A while ago I had build myself a Hakintosh (Core2Duo) and was very pleased with this expirience.

As I am using Macs at work and because Apple refuses to offer a headless iMac I want to build myself a hackintosh with following components for home use only. But before I order, I would like to have one or more opinions on the mainboard I am planning to buy and the other hardware I want to use.

- Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3
- Sony AD-7240S-0B
- Intel Core i7 860 (already owned)
- 6 GB ADATA 1.55v 1600MHz (already owned)
- ATI 5850 or Nvidia Silent Cell 9800GT (both already owned)
- OCZ Vertex2 120 GB (already owned)

Will this configuration work more or less out of the box? My main concern is the mainboard, although many here seem to use it as basis for their hackintosh systems. Currently I am using a Asus Sabertooth 55i, but as I can't seem to find anybody using this mainboard as basis for a Hackintosh, I am willing to swap it against a more compatible mainboard.

So my questions are:

- Are there any mayor issues with the Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3?
- Is there a better mainboard for an Hackintosh (1156 Socket)?
- Does Standby work ins OSX? This is really important for me, as I never shut down my PC.
- Does USB3 work in OSX? This is only a nice to have, as long as USB2 works fine.
- Does HT work out of the Box in OSX?
- Are there any other issues? USB after Standby, etc?
- Does the 5850 to work (maybe simulated as an 5770?), or should I just use the Silent Cell 9800GT.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Best regards,
Maroder

Maroder said:
:wave: Hi there,

first of all this is really great site! I'm really happy, that I found it und I must say it is much more user friendly and informative than for example insanelymac. A while ago I had build myself a Hakintosh (Core2Duo) and was very pleased with this expirience.

As I am using Macs at work and because Apple refuses to offer a headless iMac I want to build myself a hackintosh with following components for home use only. But before I order, I would like to have one or more opinions on the mainboard I am planning to buy and the other hardware I want to use.

- Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3
- Sony AD-7240S-0B
- Intel Core i7 860 (already owned)
- 6 GB ADATA 1.55v 1600MHz (already owned)
- ATI 5850 or Nvidia Silent Cell 9800GT (both already owned)
- OCZ Vertex2 120 GB (already owned)

Will this configuration work more or less out of the box? My main concern is the mainboard, although many here seem to use it as basis for their hackintosh systems. Currently I am using a Asus Sabertooth 55i, but as I can't seem to find anybody using this mainboard as basis for a Hackintosh, I am willing to swap it against a more compatible mainboard.

So my questions are:

- Are there any mayor issues with the Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3?
- Is there a better mainboard for an Hackintosh (1156 Socket)?
- Does Standby work ins OSX? This is really important for me, as I never shut down my PC.
- Does USB3 work in OSX? This is only a nice to have, as long as USB2 works fine.
- Does HT work out of the Box in OSX?
- Are there any other issues? USB after Standby, etc?
- Does the 5850 to work (maybe simulated as an 5770?), or should I just use the Silent Cell 9800GT.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Best regards,
Maroder

In General:
- P55 Boards are very easy to hackintosh - OK!
- USB3 - http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/11/ ... -os-x.html - OK!
- Standby / Sleep - Use DSDT - OK!
- 9800GT - Work OOB - OK!

For some issues common to all:
- Mic output front not working... That's it

BTW,
Don't be in a rush... read, read and read before starting it everything...
Patience pays off... Good Luck!!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back