Contribute
Register

Quick advice needed: Can this build run OS X?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi everyone!

I'm about to put together a new workstation for my motion graphics design/animation work and to spare me the hassle I thought I'd just throw windows pro 10 on it – for the first time in more than 10 years. goes without saying I'm not sure if I will be happy with this decision so I thought I'd reach out to the community and ask if there is a chance to install OS X on this build.

here are the components:

MAINBOARD
Asus X-99E WS

CPU
Intel Core i7-6850K 3.6 GHz 6-core

RAM
Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4x16gb)

GPU
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW HYBRID 8GB

SYSTEM DRIVE
Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB

DATA DRIVES
Samsung 850 Evo 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TB

EXTRAS
EKWB EK-KIT L240 Liquid Cooling, Corsair AXi860 PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D Full Tower

I have successfully put together a build a couple of years ago, however, I haven't really kept myself up to date on what's possible nowadays, so I really appreciate all of your comments and opinions on this.

thank you in advance!

thanks for the info and the very helpful link @trs96 !
I tried looking through the forum but couldn't find out whether the GTX 1080 FTW will be supported anytime soon, do you know by any chance?
also in @rbbunmc 's guide he's installing Yosemite – is it possible to use macOS sierra instead?

thanks, appreciate your help!

1080 FTW does not look to have support anytime soon. Don't think there has been much success with Sierra on that hardware. If you have to go with Sierra then try copying the hardware in this build.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...crucial-ballistix-sport-lt-gtx-980-ti.211621/
Get the same motherboard and graphics card and ram as kgp. Other components don't have to be identical for it to work. i.e. case, power supply, drives etc.

@trs96 thanks again!
if it's not an easy thing to do I guess will stick to windows for now. a friend has a fully operational system (WIN) with my list of components so I'll go with that and see if I have time to play around with hackintosh in the future.
thanks a lot for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back