I just bought the following parts --

Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
MSI GTX 670 Power Edition
Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD
Kingston HyperX Beast 8GB DDR3 RAM
Corsair HX750 Power Supply
Cooler Master HAF 912 Mid-tower ATX Case
Dell S2240L 21.5" LED IPS-panel Monitor

I am yet to buy the processor and I'm stuck between the i7 3770K and the i5 3570K (will make my decision soon!). I will be dual-booting the system with ML and Windows 7, and I plan to install Windows later since I can't spend another $100 after buying the processor. I was wondering if it'd be okay to first install ML in the first few months of the build and use a Time Machine back-up when I install Windows (or can I install without a back-up?). Also, I might even buy another SSD for OS X (restored with a Time Machine back-up) and install Windows on the 840 Pro for gaming. The secondary SSD I have in mind is a Samsung 840 (non-Pro) 120GB, will a setup like this work? Please reply!

Thank you!

I would personally go with the 3770 or the 3770k over the 3570.. The 3770 and 3770k both have hyperthreading which gives better performance in OSX. If you have a Microcenter nearby they always have the 3770k at a pristine price of $40 over the 3570 plus over the life of you system you can overclock if your processor starts to become dated..

Intel 3770K
Z77X-UD5H
256GB Samsung SSD 840 Series
Zotac GTX 670
32GB Crucial DDR 1600 Memory

I live in India so the prices of hardware are total bull**** here.. The 3770K here is $50 more and the 3770 is $20 more. I hate the hardware prices here! But I'll see what I can do. Any ideas about the dual-boot?

Ive had no problems with my dual boot. Windows 8 works fine.

Oh okay! I decided to try to dual-boot on the single SSD, and if it's unsuccessful only then get a secondary SSD. Also, I decided to go for the 3770K since it's worthwhile according to many people who I talked to.. Thanks for the help buddy!

whether or not its worthwhile depends on what you mainly do on your system.
youve only mentioned gaming really, so based on that the 3770(k) wouldnt be a better purchase over the 3570k.

that being said, $50 more for the 3770k isnt that much. in the US, its $220 for a the 3570k, and $330 for the 3770k, so unless youre getting ripped off on the 3570k to begin with....

Yeah, I'm installing OS X for video editing and some photoshop (I don't know whether hyper-threading is used for it though). I might even do some 3D work or something but OS X is mainly for content creation.. I do a lot of drawing on Autodesk Sketchbook (with a Wacom Tablet) since I will be going to art school once I'm done with high school. I also talked to a friend of min who did build a hackintosh and he said that if you're going to be doing anything productive as such on a hackintosh, the 3770(K or non-K) is the way to go.

Also, I won't be building another system/upgrading for at least 2.5 years or so, hence I think it's good to get the best for now. Thanks for your opinion!

Yeah, I'm installing OS X for video editing and some photoshop (I don't know whether hyper-threading is used for it though). I might even do some 3D work or something but OS X is mainly for content creation.. I do a lot of drawing on Autodesk Sketchbook (with a Wacom Tablet) since I will be going to art school once I'm done with high school. I also talked to a friend of min who did build a hackintosh and he said that if you're going to be doing anything productive as such on a hackintosh, the 3770(K or non-K) is the way to go.

Also, I won't be building another system/upgrading for at least 2.5 years or so, hence I think it's good to get the best for now. Thanks for your opinion!

nishant98

Using a Z77 Motherboard enables overclocking so you want a CPU that supports that which would be the K version - diff between 3570 and 3770 are small but one item that you should know is that the 3770 supports Virt of the Cores (4+4= 8 vs 4 only) this makes the 3770K the better CPU IMHO.
Also as to dual Boot - suggest you use 2 64GB SSD's one for each - and relocate the User Directories to Mech Hard Drives for both OSX and Windows : in windows this can be done during the initial install w a script file. Goggle It.

nishant98

Using a Z77 Motherboard enables overclocking so you want a CPU that supports that which would be the K version - diff between 3570 and 3770 are small but one item that you should know is that the 3770 supports Virt of the Cores (4+4= 8 vs 4 only) this makes the 3770K the better CPU IMHO.
Also as to dual Boot - suggest you use 2 64GB SSD's one for each - and relocate the User Directories to Mech Hard Drives for both OSX and Windows : in windows this can be done during the initial install w a script file. Goggle It.

The sad part is I already bought a Samsung 840 Pro (128GB version). I was planning on getting another one like a Samsung 840 (non-Pro) with 120 gigs for OS X and shift Windows onto the 840 Pro..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back