Contribute
Register

[Questions] I am inquiring about a few things!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Maximus Hero VIII (1151/Z170)
CPU
Intel I7-6700k (Skylake)
Graphics
EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 970
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Okay Hello everyone! THis is a first post, so let me know if I'm doing anything the wrong way! :)
Anyway, I've just recently built my first ever PC, and Had a few questions...

(For the record, I plan on quad Booting 4 different operating systems on 4 different hard drives and I was wondering: Is a bootloader necessary if I'm running the OPerating systems on different hard drives?

My next question is: Can OS X El Capitan be installed on my PC without a prior OSX Because I herd from some people that you have to have a previous OS X running before "upgrading to" El Capitan

My next question is does anyone have experience multibooting mac os x on a skylake, and can you tell me about your experiences doing so?

My Last question is: How are you guys doing today? :D

Thanks for taking the time to read this post, and I hope to hear from you guys very soon! Thanx!
-H

Okay Hello everyone! THis is a first post, so let me know if I'm doing anything the wrong way! :)

(For the record, I plan on quad Booting 4 different operating systems on 4 different hard drives and I was wondering: Is a bootloader necessary if I'm running the OPerating systems on different hard drives?

My next question is: Can OS X El Capitan be installed on my PC without a prior OSX Because I herd from some people that you have to have a previous OS X running before "upgrading to" El Capitan

My next question is does anyone have experience multibooting mac os x on a skylake, and can you tell me about your experiences doing so?

Thanks for taking the time to read this post, and I hope to hear from you guys very soon! Thanx!
-H

You need a Bootloader in order to boot OS X on PC hardware. Recommend using Clover for 10.11 than Enoch not sure if enoch is still maintained or not. But follow this guide 10.11 Installation to install OS X and get to post install. You will need a Mac to download the El Capitan app from the Mac app store. You can quad boot very easily just need to create 4 partitions in Disk Utility. Note Make sure that you format the Windows partition in Mac OS X Journaled not Fat 32 if your planning on install windows in UEFI. Windows UEFI uses GPT partition Map.

-H

Hi Wetter42 and welcome to the forums.

I'll answer some bits of your post, and no doubt others will chime in too.

4 different OS's is possible. As a newcomer to the hack world you may like to consider if you really need all 4 right now, or maybe take a little time to learn the processes involved then maybe increase your number over time.

That said, a separate disk for each OS is much easier than multibooting all 4 from a single disk (Partition order, installation order, fixing the boot loader etc).

Yes, you still need a boot loader, and Clover should do you just fine. The goof proof way of doing it is to remove all but 1 drive, install an OS on it, then add them all back to your system.

Your OSX drive sits well with Clover where it should detect the OS on the other drives. Think about it maybe like this :

Disk 1 : OSX (And Clover bootloader)
Disk 2 : Windows 7
Disk 3 : Windows 10
Disk 4 : Some other Linux

The bootloader of Disk 1 above can manage the booting of the other 3 disks.

Install them one at a time though, as if they were the only one in the system, and you shouldnt go too far wrong.

Assuming you have already purchased OSX, you can download the latest installer package and follow the instructions for using Unibeast to create a standalone installer. You can then use this to install a 'clean' copy of OSX.

Skylake is fairly new, so do some forum searches and read through the builds you find, to acquaint yourself with what is involved.

:thumbup:

At one time I had 6 HDDs in my build and a different OS on each one. I kept running into compatibility problems with booting them from a single boot loader. My final solution was to purchase a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=4902415&SID= which allows me to load a HDD or SSD, boot an OS and not have to worry about boot loader compatibility as each OS will automatically install its own boot loader (except for OS X - you have to install one for it.) Then I bought a http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JJ9L3P4/?tag=tonymacx86com-20 for the SSDs and a http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007OXK0YM/?tag=tonymacx86com-20 for the HDDs to protect them when not in use.
I have found pairing an SSD for the OS and an HDD for storage works quite well.
If you have access to a Mac and can download the El Capitan install app, then you can create a UniBeast installer and do a clean install on a blank drive without ever having installed OS X before.
Sorry, cannot help you there - I do not have any Skylake hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back