Questions about possible build and extent of know-how needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
CPU
i7-3820
Graphics
GTX 680
Hi everyone!

First of all let me give all of you a pat on the back for all your great work. I am truly impressed by the amount of knowledge that resides in this forum.:thumbup:

Well, I'm a long time mac user and i use it mainly for photoshop retouching on a professional level. Having done most of my work on a Mbp with external display i feel is't time to move up.
Having waited for soooo long for a decent upgrade to the MP:s it's time to resolve the matter myself. I also like the ider of a modular system.

Ok, first things first, difficult is it to make a build?
How much computer know-how is needed. It's been ages since I tinkered around with pc:s.
Reading the different posts I have a hard time making an assessment. Some say it works like a charm, others seem to troubleshoot for ages.
If someone could give me a feel for it and share your experiences I would be very grateful.

The thought out parts for my future build are as follows:

Skärmavbild 2012-11-23 kl. 20.15.29.png

Anyone who has looked thru the "buyers guide 2012" will see that many parts are the same as in the pro build section.

I opted for a 2011-board in order to be able to get 64 gb of ram.

If anyone spots some obvious mistakes please let me know.

The fiscal year is coming to an end and if I decide to do this it's time to go shopping...:cool:

Thanks for your help.

Very nice build. First thing: seeing as you are going to do a lot of media processing, buy RAM with a higher speed rating-1866 because you aren't buying a CPU designed for overclocking. Second thing: for Macintosh software, Samsung 830/840 series SSD's are the way to go-very Mac friendly, pretty fast. For Windows, however, the OCZ Vertex 4 series SSD's are MUCH, MUCH faster-5 times the write speed out of the box, ~%200 percent faster on read/write with new firmware update. Third thing: because you are buying such a high end build, you might want to go with an i7 processor with a "K" insignia at the end-if you will want to/have the ability to overclock in the future. Seeing as you are buying a Corsair H100 Liquid CPU Cooler, this should be no problem. Last thing: make sure that your case fits an E-ATX motherboard-it does not specify it does, and you have selected an E-ATX motherboard. Some great cases for E-ATX motherboards include: NZXT Crafted, NZXT Switch, Corsair Obsidian 800D, Cooler Master HAF-932, Cooler Master X.

Thanks for valuable input!

You were right, my chassi didn't support my Mb so thanks for the heads-up.
Took a peek at the i7-3930K and maybe you're right. The processor is perhaps the wrong place to save money, don't know yet.

Does anyone have any feedback on how difficult it is to do a build?
When people write about adding code to BIOS and whatnot I feel that I might be out of my depth. Although with forums like these competent help might just be around every corner.
Just some thoughts.

Glennhysen

It's difficult if you don't know. However the knowledge you need is all here in this forum. I suggest you choose one of the user builds and just follow it. Try to get hardware as close as possible to what's in the build.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back