Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello
I'm switching from Clover to OpenCore. It is very promising
But there is some Clover features that I like to have with OpenCore (correct me if I'm wrong) . Like :
- GUI with all the bootable device
- Hidding some bootable device
- Auto boot on a specific device
- Select another config.plist
- Disable ACPI and Kext

OpenCore's new feature I didn't manage : Pressing the Alt Key during the boot. Where Can I find more detailed about that ?
Thank in advanced

Last edited:
Hello
I'm switching from Clover to OpenCore. It is very promising
But there is some Clover features that I like to have with OpenCore (correct me if I'm wrong) . Like :
- GUI with all the bootable device

There will be no GUI themes for OpenCore as the devs have no interests in creating one. I agree with the devs as it is not necessary and it just makes OpenCore bloated and buggy. So, it will be left to 3rd party devs to create one.

- Hidding some bootable device

You can modify the ScanPolicy to only scan or show certain partitions or devices at boot as described on page 32 in configuration document.

- Auto boot on a specific device

You can select Mac default bootable device in MacOS -> System Preference -> Startup Disk.

- Select another config.plist

Not available.

- Disable ACPI and Kext

You can disable Kext in OpenCore and it won't load the kext even if the kext is already present in EFI folder.

OpenCore's new feature I didn't manage : Pressing the Alt Key during the boot. Where Can I find more detailed about that ?

I believe recent update have this feature added to OpenCore. I have not used this feature yet.

I'm using OpenCore to boot MacOS, FreeBSD and Windows.

There will be no GUI themes for OpenCore as the devs have no interests in creating one. I agree with the devs as it is not necessary and it just makes OpenCore bloated and buggy. So, it will be left to 3rd party devs to create one.
Fair enough ;)

You can modify the ScanPolicy to only scan or show certain partitions or devices at boot as described on page 32 in configuration document.
I'll read that , thanks

You can select Mac default bootable device in MacOS -> System Preference -> Startup Disk.
Pfff ... to obvious :clap:. good news

You can disable Kext in OpenCore and it won't load the kext even if the kext is already present in EFI folder.
I meant ... just before booting ... without modifying the config.plist

I believe recent update have this feature added to OpenCore. I have not used this feature yet.
I will keep searching
I'm using OpenCore to boot MacOS, FreeBSD and Windows.
Many thanks

I meant ... just before booting ... without modifying the config.plist

OpenCore doesn't load any kext or acpi before config.plist. Everything is enabled/disabled in config.plist. If you don't have kext defined in config.plist then it won't load even if you have kext in the EFI folder as it will be skipped over. Clover loads everything in EFI folder even it's not defined in config.plist.

OpenCore doesn't load any kext or acpi before config.plist. Everything is enabled/disabled in config.plist. If you don't have kext defined in config.plist then it won't load even if you have kext in the EFI folder as it will be skipped over. Clover loads everything in EFI folder even it's not defined in config.plist.
Thanks I understand well the "classic" (only?) behavior of Opencore..... That why I was asking of choosing a different config.plist;)
With Clover you have the option to NOT load some (or all) of the Kext in the EFI folder just before booting on a partition.
That the feature I was referring to ....
May be there is another way to test a config.plist and revert (next boot) to a "stable" one in case of Kernel panic ?
Thanks

Thanks I understand well the "classic" (only?) behavior of Opencore..... That why I was asking of choosing a different config.plist;)
With Clover you have the option to NOT load some (or all) of the Kext in the EFI folder just before booting on a partition.
That the feature I was referring to ....
May be there is another way to test a config.plist and revert (next boot) to a "stable" one in case of Kernel panic ?
Thanks

You can rename config.plist or create bootable OpenCore USB stick with stable config.plist so you can boot back into macOS if modified config.plist on hard drive cause kernel panic or won't boot.

Suggest you use 2 USB drives - one with stable config.plist that boots the system and another to experiment with. When you are happy with your experimental results and are ready to go with your final opencore product is the time you move it to the SSD/HHD. In the meantime, leave the SSD/HDD EFI partition empty.

thanks everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back