Motherboard
HP ZBook 17 G5
CPU
i7-8750H
Graphics
UHD 630 + P5200, 1920 x 1080
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi, I want to install macOS Catalina and use Xcode in it.
Here are some questions:

1. I checked that my laptop has a dedicated GPU, which is NVIDIA Quadro P5200. Can I use this one instead/with integrated Intel GPU? Does Quadro work in macOS?
(I checked the GPU is dedicated by disabling iGPU in Device Manager. I think it's the right way, but not 100% sure)
2. This model has Intel WIFI. I'm thinking about using this driver. Does it work well? Can I get the built kext? Or is it possible to get required softwares without connecting to the Internet(by using the external drive)? If the driver is bad, can I get a recommendation for external Wifi cards?
3. I am planning to follow this guide. However, there's no explanation about ZBook G5(only ZBook G2 and Probook 4x0 G5.) Is it safe to follow that guide?
4. I remember that previously I should format my whole SSD. Now, can I just create an APFS partition(btw I never used it as my last Mac experience was El Capitan) and use it? I'm sure that my SSD is configured to GPT.
5. I have "Conexant ISST Audio". Does it work in macOS? If not, can I buy an audio interface and use it? I am going to buy a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 if my internal one doesn't work.
6. I realized that the guide says I should disable WOL. Is it unable to use WOL? (actually I am using Wake-On-Wifi)

Partial responses are also welcome, thanks for helping!

First you need to fix your profile as per rules, add your current hardware so we know what should we help you with.

1. I checked that my laptop has a dedicated GPU, which is NVIDIA Quadro P5200. Can I use this one instead/with integrated Intel GPU? Does Quadro work in macOS?
(I checked the GPU is dedicated by disabling iGPU in Device Manager. I think it's the right way, but not 100% sure)
Not sure what generation / equivalent of standard graphics card is this but I assume that it doesn't, if it's optimus technology it won't work, you will have to disable it with acpi or if you have an option on bios and use the Intel GPU.
2. This model has Intel WIFI. I'm thinking about using this driver. Does it work well? Can I get the built kext? Or is it possible to get required softwares without connecting to the Internet(by using the external drive)? If the driver is bad, can I get a recommendation for external Wifi cards?
Intel Wireless cards do not work, that's a kext under development, therefore not even ready for beta or something.
You will have to replace your Wireless card to have working Bluetooth and Wireless connectivity
3. I am planning to follow this guide. However, there's no explanation about ZBook G5(only ZBook G2 and Probook 4x0 G5.) Is it safe to follow that guide?
You can try, but since it's not listed anywhere I don't expect it to work, you will have to test.
4. I remember that previously I should format my whole SSD. Now, can I just create an APFS partition(btw I never used it as my last Mac experience was El Capitan) and use it? I'm sure that my SSD is configured to GPT.
If it allows you, sure you can do that.
5. I have "Conexant ISST Audio". Does it work in macOS? If not, can I buy an audio interface and use it? I am going to buy a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 if my internal one doesn't work.
There should be an available patch on AppleALC for you codec, their codec database is huge, it will be a surprise if there is not an available patch for your codec yet.
6. I realized that the guide says I should disable WOL. Is it unable to use WOL? (actually I am using Wake-On-Wifi)
I assume that it should work with recent kexts.

Not sure what generation / equivalent of standard graphics card is this but I assume that it doesn't, if it's optimus technology it won't work, you will have to disable it with acpi or if you have an option on bios and use the Intel GPU.
I said "dedicated" because it's not Optimus(probably, but almost sure). If it's not Optimus, can I set those things to work together?

Anyway, thanks for the replies!

I said "dedicated" because it's not Optimus(probably, but almost sure). If it's not Optimus, can I set those things to work together?

Anyway, thanks for the replies!
it is not dedicated if you have intel graphics as well

it is not dedicated if you have intel graphics as well
I read that my laptop has dedicated graphics card and I tested it by disabling my iGPU. My laptop didn't work with external display when I disabled my NVIDIA GPU. RehabMan also mentioned that HP ZBook has dedicated GPU.

I read that my laptop has dedicated graphics card and I tested it by disabling my iGPU. My laptop didn't work with external display when I disabled my NVIDIA GPU. RehabMan also mentioned that HP ZBook has dedicated GPU.
Maybe but still, Nvidia Graphics starting from 8xx series if im correct (the ones that required the web drivers) are not supported anymore, High Sierra is the latest version that supports nvidia graphics cards with Web Drivers.

So even if it is dedicated it won't work, you will be forced to use the IGPU, although you can give it a try and see for yourself.

Maybe but still, Nvidia Graphics starting from 8xx series if im correct (the ones that required the web drivers) are not supported anymore, High Sierra is the latest version that supports nvidia graphics cards with Web Drivers.

So even if it is dedicated it won't work, you will be forced to use the IGPU, although you can give it a try and see for yourself.
That is very sad. I previously thought NVIDIA GPUs usually work well with mac but I just realized that Apple changed their products' GPU to AMD. ;(

That is very sad. I previously thought NVIDIA GPUs usually work well with mac but I just realized that Apple changed their products' GPU to AMD. ;(
Unfortunately Yes,
Since macOS Mojave Nvidia GPUs are resting in peace "for now", unless they change their mind and release drivers.
Unanswered question is whether the problem is at Nvidia or Apple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back