Contribute
Register

Questions about Audio/Video Setups for Pro Work

Status
Not open for further replies.
I should also state that I know I'm a freak compared to other artists and use way more types of software than most. It just kind of built up over time as I tried more complex and bizarre things to achieve the results I wanted. It is for this same reason why I used to get paid a ton. My problems started when the economy tanked and then when I got sick 4 years ago. Now all my hardware is either dead or deprecated so I'm starting over from scratch.

If I had an unlimited budget, I honestly would have multiple workstations, a render farm, use a KVM switch and have them all linked over 10Gb ethernet or fiber channel and be done with it. :mrgreen:

Thanks for the video.

Yeah, the problem I have is different from his because I actually do multitask and use multiple apps at once working on high-end niche stuff that tends to get weird at times compared to normal workflows. On a typical day I would have open Photoshop, AE, Illustrator, Maya (and Pixar apps), DP (if doing A/V or driving things with audio), FCP (or Shake back in the day), mail, browser and a handful of obscure utility apps. I may also be running X11 stuff and a VM for conversions or other things. So yes, I use After Effects and might start using Premier and Adobe removing multi-threading makes it suck for tons of cores, but I don't use Audition like he does which is strictly audio tracks.

I use Digital Performer to write music, mix and do audio editing. As far as I know, virtual instruments (load as AU plug-ins, driven by MIDI) will each use one core per instance and DP will use multiple cpus if you have them. I use a bunch of VIs. I'm not sure how effects plug-ins are distributed though, but when using dozens of VIs (unless something has changed) I would expect a performance increase with more cores and multi cpu and on my old Mac Pro I would see near 100% CPU usage when mixing complex projects on a dual cpu system or just having a bunch of VIs running with audio tracks and effects until the cpu just couldn't take it.

Add to that the 3D stuff I do. I've never worked on a non-ECC system. ECC seems to be ideal when doing simulations. So if I'm doing particle simulations (that can take a long time when you bake them to disk) the last thing I'd want are errors that might translate into visual errors in the render, or even errors during rendering of non-sim stuff using Arnold or RenderMan. I'll have to contact Autodesk and the Pixar guys and ask them about this. It is possible Autodesk has changed Maya to account for non-ECC cpus and maybe they just suggest ECC render nodes.

So yeah, it seems that for an Adobe workflow that a dual cpu hyper-threaded system might indeed suck ass compared to a Skylake single and I'm not sure if doing AE renders to a farm makes better use of multiple cpus. RenderMan will suck up every core you throw at it as far as I know. It used to plateau but the latest version seems like they changed it to take as many cpus and cores as you throw at it from what I read on the forums last week. Working in Maya itself is single-threaded when setting up a scene, modeling, or animating. I used to use RealFlow for liquid sims for a long time, but not sure if I'd get back into it. Last I used it, it was optimized for more cores and multiple cpus.

I'll contact MOTU again to see if I can get some current info about how DP performs based on clock and cores. Besides running simulations and 3D renders, single processor higher clock with GPUs seems to be the ideal for a desktop today. It's just bizarre that there is not an ECC option for the most common cpus, boards and ram. I guess they expect us who need to do sims and renders to have separate machines. Ideal world I'd have a sim/render farm, but can't do that now.

I'm also spoiled with ECC stability from all my years on Apple hardware. I ran my towers into the ground 24/7 and rarely had a system crash until they were long in the tooth and had hardware failures. Perhaps things are different on Windows now but up to Windows 7 I still saw system crashes far too often or a corrupt registry out of nowhere. I assume (maybe wrongfully) that a non ECC system running Windows would be more likely to crash.

Core counts were much lower the last time I got a machine, so maybe I'm just too stuck in the old mindset. :think:

P.S. sorry for the novel.

Wow. It sound like waiting for Apple drop their updated Mac Pro might be the wisest thing to do. If/when something goes wrong, you don't need the extra hackintosh variable to contend with. Seeing as how even an iMac Pro can be configured with up to 18 cores, I can't imagine the next Mac Pro have any less.

The only thing you would have to worry about are all your PCI-e devices. Hopefully, Apple will include slots with the update, otherwise, you'll be looking at lots of Thunderbolt devices hanging off the computer.

I'm confident that Apple will provide some info on it at WWDC next week.

Yeah, man. I'm in a weird spot, but I can't wait a year or more to get a computer. Bad time to buy in general with high SSD and GPU prices.

I might be able to get away with some TB3 chassis for expansion cards if I did go the iMac Pro route. Those eGPU devices seem to work for some things. Just wasted money for extra hardware that should be internal or a bunch of TB3 laying on the desk.

I'm hoping something will be dropped at WWDC as well, but not holding my breath. I don't think Apple wants to take the focus off of iMac Pro since they are selling well.

I still would love to build a Hackintosh though, even if it's not for work and was just for fun, so regardless I'll be lurking on here for some time. I'd love to have a triple boot game machine and have linux on a partition. I'm gonna start digging into laptops too because that I think would be very worth it based on the downward slope of the Macbooks and curious the builds/mods you guys have done.

Anyway, thanks for the chat and for your time, man. This stuff is as fun and fascinating as it is headache inducing. :)

Wow. It sound like waiting for Apple drop their updated Mac Pro might be the wisest thing to do. If/when something goes wrong, you don't need the extra hackintosh variable to contend with. Seeing as how even an iMac Pro can be configured with up to 18 cores, I can't imagine the next Mac Pro have any less.

The only thing you would have to worry about are all your PCI-e devices. Hopefully, Apple will include slots with the update, otherwise, you'll be looking at lots of Thunderbolt devices hanging off the computer.

I'm confident that Apple will provide some info on it at WWDC next week.

Well... after reading through a lot of this stuff it sounds like Thunderbolt 3 doesn't have all the bugs worked out yet (hot swap) and the motherboards used might not have enough PCI slots/lanes for all the stuff I'd like/need—TB3, 10Gb ethernet, video capture card, 2 m.2 drives, plenty of internal storage, backups, etc. The only motherboards that seemed to have the extra slots, lanes and enough SATA ports were the Supermicro workstation/server boards that were for Xeon E5 v4 chips.

I was planning on getting a MOTU 828es because it's damn good for the price and which does have USB also, although MOTU said some chipsets on PC motherboards can do weird stuff with USB and their drivers and TB is needed for lowest latency. I can't afford a ProTools system and have been working in DP for over 20 years, so I need a Mac and DP but I need to rely on raw horsepower for now for plug-ins. Not sure I want to go the UAD route and be bound to theirs.

I was hoping to also do a dual GPU setup with NVIDIA 1080 Ti cards since I wanted to start using Davinci Resolve for grading and I could also use the CUDA for Premier (not an FCP fan since they went X). Not sure if AE benefits much and 2 cpu would be best for AE. I also may start using Maya and RenderMan again and RenderMan's next version will add GPU render support. Having a dual boot into Windows for 3D and Gaming with SLI would also be a nice treat.

I just don't know if I can handle all the setup. Putting the hardware together I think I could manage, but probably not all the installs, troubleshooting and tweaks as I've never built my own system before, messed with bios etc, let alone a Hackintosh.

If any of you pro setup guys live near NY/NYC area, I wouldn't mind paying someone with expertise to help with the setup if I decide to go this route—if it's even possible to build a powerful stable system like this. After 3 weeks of trying to find a solution I'm at the point of taking an axe to something. I can't get what I need on Windows, Apple doesn't make what I need, and I might not even be able to build it.

Eh, c'est la vie. Maybe I should just plan a heist and buy an iMac Pro and a Windows workstation... :crazy::banghead:

thanks
For what it's worth. I got the 828ES and the 16A. Working with USB and TB although hot swap not working atm. The boot also take 60s longer when using TB. The difference in latency usb/tb isn't huge but I'll still battle with TB for a while longer and see if I find a solution. The Motu AVB line is really good. the 32 Sabre converters sounds so clean and detailed. I sold my RME UCX with no regrets.

For what it's worth. I got the 828ES and the 16A. Working with USB and TB although hot swap not working atm. The boot also take 60s longer when using TB. The difference in latency usb/tb isn't huge but I'll still battle with TB for a while longer and see if I find a solution. The Motu AVB line is really good. the 32 Sabre converters sounds so clean and detailed. I sold my RME UCX with no regrets.

Thanks for the info.

Yeah, I've heard much praise for the 828es. Kinda blows you can't hot swap (even though with an interface you rarely need to) but the extra minute in boot times isn't great. Cool that it's working either way though.

By the way, with the 828es, are you using the TB3>TB2 Apple adapter or StarTech one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back